Ok Guys I No This Is A Little Early But Winter Is Coming Up And I Want Some Opinions On The Right Jacket And Gear

Guest hollenbeck

Guest hollenbeck

I've been trying to sell my bike so I can buy my friends ducati 748, but anyways it looks like I'll be riding all winter :), cause my car was shot so I sold it at the beginning of summer to get my bike anyways I've never rode all the way through winter so I'm wanting to start stocking up on my gear but I don't even know where to start. Should I get a leather jacket or textile? I keep my bike outside so should I buy tire warmers? I just need a good jacket and a base layer, I always get my clothes and gear off of ebay unless I can't find what exactly I'm looking for and I need a setup where I don't have to go change when I get to work so any advice would help, I can't afford a $400 jacket so something that won't bankrupt me lol but I plan on getting all the gear over a period of time till winter, ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated, thank you

• Member Contributer

Two words: heated gear.

You will have it eventually if you continue to ride, and when you do you will wonder what took you so long.

I've seen the ambient temp display on the 5th gen at 27°F. Figure the wind chill at 60. It was a bit cool but not uncomfortable in my perfed leathers.

You will have it eventually if you continue to ride, and when you do you will wonder what took you so long.

I've seen the ambient temp display on the 5th gen at 27°F. Figure the wind chill at 60. It was a bit cool but not uncomfortable in my perfed leathers.

So what do you think as far as comuting, base layer and leather jacket? what other base layers are there besides freeze out from cycle gear and I want a heated jacket just don't have the $ for it right now, so besides that what are my options and the cheapest places to buy them from

• Member Contributer

I've done this, twice. First bike only winter was 2009, second was 2012. Commuting in temps down to a quite uncomfortable 15*f for a 30 mile ride and the occasional 120 mile jaunt to visit family.

If you're in to armor, you'll want to find the kind that straps on underneath clothes. I wore thermal underwear, several layers of regular clothes, then a snowmobile suit. You'll want something windproof with velcro wrist closures. I used snowboarding gloves by Burton that are incredible down to about 30*f for a couple hundred miles. There are some insulated 3-finger gloves on the market that have thumb, index and middle, ring and little fingers grouped. I'd go that route if you can for the added warmth. Get a neck gaiter from your local army surplus and wrap that in from your head to collarbones then zip the coat up tight to your neck. They make one from some super thin neoprene/spandex type stuff and it's the best in the business. Breathe through your nose so the inside of your visor won't ice and you won't get ice buildup on the cloth.

I have not found "riding gear" that will manage that kind of sincerely brutal wind chill, but the snowmobile gear does a pretty good job. You want to be sure you're hydrated, take breaks to warm up as you need to. Do NOT sweat in the stuff then go ride, it's frigid if you do that. Keep an eye out for clues to hypothermia, it can and has bitten bikers. The little chemical heat pouches help in the toes of your boots.

Given, with this setup, you're compromising on safety a bit. However, if you need to stay warm and don't have the coin to punch out for a heated suit (which I've never tried either mind you), this is the best advice I can give based on my own personal experience of two winters sans car.

• Member Contributer

I have an alpinestars drystars two piece suit. Comes with zip in liners, it's pretty well insulated. A heated vest makes a huge difference though. There's no comparison between layering and having a heat source. Something else you may want to look into is a snowmobile shield for your helmet. Fogging gets to be a problem in the cold, even with a pinlock insert.

• Member Contributer

I was pretty surprised when I looked up the price of my current gear, which is a Olympia Phantom one-piece riding suit. I bought mine used from a member here on VFRD about 4 years ago and paid more than what they are blowing them out for now. I wear mine year round, and with the liner and just normal pants and a t-shirt with the insulated liner, I rode just over 70 miles in completed comfort (with my heated grips on high) with an outside air temp of 15°F. With the price I found at Motorcycle Closeouts, I'm tempted to buy another suit as it appears they aren't selling them any longer. Check them out here. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+rain+gear/olympia_phantom+one+piece+suit

Heated grips are worth the $35.

I also have a Gerbings liner I bought used. The full sleeve liner is much nicer than just a vest to keep your arms warm.

I don't have that long of a commute, so haven't really used the liner much in the past 2 years and I ride down to about 30F. If I am riding all day, the liner is nice to have even in 40F weather.

Watch www.advrider.com for good used stuff.

• Member Contributer

I just don't know how you are going to survive those brutal South Carolina winters LOL !!

Seriously though all you need is some "expedition weight" thermal underwear, some good fleece lined windproof glove liners, some snowboarding socks, and a good balaclava that is made of wind resistant material around the neck. Both leather or textile outer gear are fine as long as they are non-perforated but I personally prefer textile since it is lighter in weight and generally better suited for the rain. Heated gear is nice but is overkill when you live somewhere with mild winters. You should be fine with the gear I mentioned above unless you are planning on doing some higher elevation mountain riding during the winter.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I'm with Rollin...you are freaking out about winter in South Carolina? Heated gear would be a waste of money IMO since it sounds like you are fairly strapped for funds. Tire warmers? Are you kidding? Anyway, lots of great suggestions above. You never mentioned the length of your ride. If you have a seriously long commute like mine (100+ miles) then the cold can start to get to you even if it's not brutal. Short commutes...not much of a problem even in sub freezing. I learned to ride in Washington state and rode to work there most days unless it was snowy, icy, or just too cold. Oklahoma is a piece of cake now...

• Member Contributer

So what do you think as far as comuting, base layer and leather jacket? what other base layers are there besides freeze out from cycle gear and I want a heated jacket just don't have the $ for it right now, so besides that what are my options and the cheapest places to buy them from

If you can't spring for the heated stuff silk or wool will keep you warmer, and more comfortable than synthetics. Polar weight silk/wool underwear is nearly as pricey as heated gear though. I've done all 4, and prefer the electrics. Just set the knob for warm summer day.

• Member Contributer

if you are looking for something reasonably priced, I have the Joe Rocket Survivor suit and I ride year round. The J/R suit retails about 325. has a zip in liner and is warm. My commute is only 25 miles so not to bad, I have ridden to about 27F. The best thing that $ can buy for cold weather riding is Grip Heaters!!! I get the http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-Grip-Heater-Warmer-ATV-Snowmobile-Motorcycle-Dirtbike-/111006568850?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d881d192&vxp=mtr $22.00 shipped, easy to install.

• Member Contributer

I was pretty surprised when I looked up the price of my current gear, which is a Olympia Phantom one-piece riding suit. I bought mine used from a member here on VFRD about 4 years ago and paid more than what they are blowing them out for now. I wear mine year round, and with the liner and just normal pants and a t-shirt with the insulated liner, I rode just over 70 miles in completed comfort (with my heated grips on high) with an outside air temp of 15°F. With the price I found at Motorcycle Closeouts, I'm tempted to buy another suit as it appears they aren't selling them any longer. Check them out here. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+rain+gear/olympia_phantom+one+piece+suit

That is a deal! I had one briefly that bought second hand, but it didn't fit and I had to turn it over. I may have to consider another one.

• Member Contributer

If you are inclined to sweating, like I am, wool or silk as MBrane suggested is the best. When I put on synthetic base layer, I'm bathed in sweat before I get out the door.

Wool base layer, wool shirt, then wool sweater was what I wore under my Roadcrafter before I got a Girbing electric liner and electric gloves. But I live where we have real winters. :cool:

Tire warmers are intended and designed to warm tires before a track session or between sessions, like a track day or race.

No need for them on the street. :happy:

• Member Contributer

Not much need for them at a track day either but you'll see all the heroes using them. They are most positively a race application where you want the tires heated up for the start so you can get after it at the first corner. At a track day there is no issue with taking a couple of laps to warmup not only the tires but yourself. You aren't racing anyone in that scenario.

I just don't know how you are going to survive those brutal South Carolina winters LOL !!

Seriously though all you need is some "expedition weight" thermal underwear, some good fleece lined windproof glove liners, some snowboarding socks, and a good balaclava that is made of wind resistant material around the neck. Both leather or textile outer gear are fine as long as they are non-perforated but I personally prefer textile since it is lighter in weight and generally better suited for the rain. Heated gear is nice but is overkill when you live somewhere with mild winters. You should be fine with the gear I mentioned above unless you are planning on doing some higher elevation mountain riding during the winter.

Rollin

I know I know SC but it's my first winter here and I'm use to staying in the mtns in tn so Idk what its gonna be like here lol but I'll admit I'm colder when it's changing than when it is when it's fully changed to that season

Tire warmers are intended and designed to warm tires before a track session or between sessions, like a track day or race.

No need for them on the street. :happy:

I feel like a dumba** now lol, I didn't know that it just made sense from the name that that was there purpose for colder days

• Member Contributer

Not much need for them at a track day either but you'll see all the heroes using them. They are most positively a race application where you want the tires heated up for the start so you can get after it at the first corner. At a track day there is no issue with taking a couple of laps to warmup not only the tires but yourself. You aren't racing anyone in that scenario.

Another good use for tire warmers is changing tires in the winter. They spoon off/on so much easier when they're warm it's worth having 'em just for that.

Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem for you since you don't have a car, but I seem to find it easier if I continue to ride when it first starts to get cold. I have taken a week or two off before in the begining of winter for various reasons and it seems harder for me to get back on the bike when it is gets really cold. If I stick with it during the transition, I guess my body adjusts slowly to the colder weather. Jumping in from mild weather to cold weather is a harder swing to adjust to.

Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem for you since you don't have a car, but I seem to find it easier if I continue to ride when it first starts to get cold. I have taken a week or two off before in the begining of winter for various reasons and it seems harder for me to get back on the bike when it is gets really cold. If I stick with it during the transition, I guess my body adjusts slowly to the colder weather. Jumping in from mild weather to cold weather is a harder swing to adjust to.

yeah that's how I am lol, but I'm probably gonna do the helmet/neck and glove liners with my freeze out base shirt and a good textile jacket, and if I need more I'll go with the heated vest, gotta get some kinda use outa that 12v adapter I got on my bike lol

I prefer textile over leather anytime rain is a possibility. I just bought a Tour Master Transition Series 2 jacket on eBay, because I plan on riding into the fall this year. I like my leather jackets, but I've never been poured on while wearing one - I don't expect they like being soaked, and I know how stiff leather gloves get after getting similarly soaked.

Scott in Penfield NY

• Member Contributer

The Aerostich leather Transit suits are treated to make them hydro-phobic among other things. I've ridden through many downpours without getting wet and the suit absorbes zero water. Bring it inside and it dries immediately. It really is majic leather. And it saved my hide, bones and joints on several occasions including a 60+ mph landing on a freeway shoulder after my '01 ate a deer. So I got another suit a few weeks ago. Aerostich even gives a 15% discount on a replacement suit wrecked in a crash.

I highly recommend! :wheel: :3:

Archived