Meet In The Middle-Ken & Timmy

94.jpg

So at TMac, myself and a large group of folks who are not too far apart agreed that we should ride together this summer, and more often in general. 5thGenJim suggested that we use the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon as a destination. Here is said canyon:

The ball started rolling and the PMs were flying. It looked like a hoot. But one by one, life kept stepping in, and at the end, the only riders were Timmythecop and KanadianKen. We decided on the town of Wellsboro Pa. as the home base. I researched good motorbike roads and we decided on a loop in the mountains just west of Wellsboro. Turns out this town is 240 miles from Ken and 245 miles from me. Ken got nervous because he made all the plans and made hotel reservations and I wasnt answering the phone or e-mails. 2 days out and I called Ken and told him that my RC51 was out because I hadnt had time to register it. I was able to sneak in a trip to the MVA, and got myself a real tag for the bike, so I was out of excuses. It was very fun to make jokes at Ken's expense because he TRAILERED his touring bike the same distance I RODE a torture chamber.

1000992_10151541422931347_975793522_n.jp

I sorta slept in the day of the ride, but I was off at about 11. Traffic, more traffic and rain for the entire time into Pa.

IMG_3511_zps1d7b49ec.jpg

I almost turned around and bagged the whole operation, but I was close to where Burns works, so I dropped in.

IMG_3513_zpsf29c86b4.jpg

The rain held off and I made good time and arrived at the quaint town of Wellsboro.

Wellsboro_Diner_exterior.jpgWe had some beers, swapped some stories and went to bed early to take advantage of the weather report: 75 degrees and zero percent chance of rain. The next morning I was up, refreshed and ready to go. Ken, not so much. I did note out loud that we were last again. (the lot was full of bikes, as this seems to be a bit of a destination for riders) I was READY.

47376_10201562312319390_1004175450_n.jpgWe tried one direction. We tried a different direction.

1002767_10201562372120885_602048263_n.jp

We went back to the room, avoided the beer cooler and tried again later. Rain. Fog. Rain and more rain. We finally declared a "wet race" and bagged the attempts as it was getting stoopid.

1044230_10201562050072834_121541032_n.jpKen did get a semi soggy ride on the RC51 in though, so that was cool.

IMG_3516_zpsfd564a01.jpg

While I rode his 6th gen I was again struck with how refined and SMOOTH it is. Very well set up bike. The point of this long-winded report of no too much to report is that we have found some great roads, near a cool town and we even found a really groovy motel. I can see this turning into a real ride soon. I would love to go back and see what the roads are really like, but by researching the roads, seeing them and judging by the number of bikes in the area, this is a super-groovy area. WE must at least take the original group that was going to go, and maybe expand. If you see a post about this ride, join it! it will be fun.

Here is a little 3 min clip to show how pretty the area is:

• Member Contributer

I wish I had been there as I have ridden that area a couple of times and the roads are fantastic next year I will make it .

another strange occurrence:

Ken will swear on a stack of bibles that he witnessed me spend an ENTIRE half hour cleaning my bike after the rain stopped:

IMG_3523_zpsb710aed9.jpg

• Member Contributer

I sort of remember riding in that area. Remember years ago meeting up with Eric, myself, and Burns down around bedford? We rode up and down SW of wellsboro. 4001, 144 were a complete blast, if a bit sketchy on the roadside gravel.

I was not upset by making the decision to trailer down - as upon my return to the Great White North - the wait at the border was about 1 hour 20 mins long... Of course once I got my turn - i was stopped for a whopping 35 seconds and across I went.... But think - 95 degrees, wearing a Snowsuit (read Aerostich) and stopped in the baking sun for that long will leave long term heat stroke!

The area we were in was absolutely gorgeous scenery. The roads seemed to be in great shape, and what we rode on was nice. The people of Wellsboro were over the top friendly. Even a slightly dubious Chinese Restaurant turned out to provide amazing food. The downtown area of Wellsboro is one block from the Penn Wells Lodge, and its loaded with restaurants, grocery, etc.. We ate at the DIner that Timmy posted a pic of - the food was excellent - the server was challenged.....

The Motel has wifi - although it is limited to the lobby area. Its a very clean motel, and I'd gladly stay there again.

Behind the motel is a volleyball court on the grass, along with BBQ area to grill up your own grub.

I made it home on 3/4 tank of fuel used in the Pilot. Its an easy drive from Toronto and next time I go - I will again trailer - as the roads leading to Wellsboro are slab, slab and more slab until about 30 minutes from Wellsboro.

Last thing - I will bring my family next time- as they would have a hoot in the pool at the motel and there seems to be lots to see and do in the area.

Only thing we couldn't find in Wellsboro were the whorrrrrrrrrrrres.......

Quick Vid I edited....

If you listen really carefully, you can hear Ken's reaction to meeting the RC51 over the drone of the gear whine.

Woo-hoo-hoo-hoo

Yep - I recall being a little "provoked" firing that thing up.... I'm still laughing about not really being able to use all the gears properly. So easy to travel in 3rd gear to cruise on the highway. I can't imagine what its like for the RSV4 boys on the highway - 2nd - maybe 3rd?

Wish it had been better riding conditions - I hope to get a chance to ride it again through some actual curves in the dry. And I also hope to get to ride it again before the flat black attack happens.

• Member Contributer

another strange occurrence:

Ken will swear on a stack of bibles that he witnessed me spend an ENTIRE half hour cleaning my bike after the rain stopped:

Trying to scrub the red off?

Been a long time, but I've ridden some in that area. I might be in for a VFRD meet there. Not sure I have the skills to hang with the gang.

Nice write-ups, guys. :smile: Sorry the weather didn't cooperate. Always sucks to sportride in the rain. From the looks of the video, if it had been dry but very hot (as it's been here for the last couple weeks) you would have been dodging those tar snakes on the road. Hate those things! :angry:

Hopefully next time the weather is better. And maybe I can join the fun, as I'm only 250 miles from Wellsboro, and the ride there would be a combination of slab and 2-lanes through the State Forest to the west!

• Member Contributer

My wife and I stayed in that area this past weekend (Coudersport) and found the roads to be fantastic. We rode down from the Great White North, spent all day Saturday touring central PA and Sunday touring the Allegheny State forest. Beautiful scenery and great twisties. 144, 44, 666, 120, 414, all great. Probably the most eventful was running into a Mama bear and two cubs on a bridge off 414 just south of the PA Grand Canyon. Backed the VFR up pretty quick to allow them through. If you haven't been i'd highly recommend.

post-21326-0-45657600-1374715473.jpg

post-21326-0-39653900-1374715492.jpg

post-21326-0-83667400-1374715519.jpg

• Member Contributer

I remember 666. It was absolutely awful pavement condition. A gravel road would have been better. But it took you through some really cool stuff through the allegheny.

• Member Contributer

666 was't that bad but not as good as 144 or 414. The pavement was a little rough but coming from Canada I have low standards and just happy to be on roads with turns that aren't at a stop light.

• 1 month later...

I took a ride up that way about 3 weeks ago from Charm City and had a great time. It really is amazing countryside and the roads did not disappoint. I met up with Painter Bob and another friend who rides a Connie and we all rode around the Grand Canyon for awhile. I've posted vids on my VFRZen You Tube channel - here's Day 3:

That's classified, Timmy :wink:.

Actually, I deliberately rode 2 of the 3 days solo for recon purposes. Now that I have been up that way and can attest to its greatness I'd definitely be game for a MD/PA VFR bretheren weekend rally there. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I took a ride up that way about 3 weeks ago from Charm City and had a great time. It really is amazing countryside and the roads did not disappoint. I met up with Painter Bob and another friend who rides a Connie and we all rode around the Grand Canyon for awhile. I've posted vids on my VFRZen You Tube channel - here's Day 3:

Looks great, my add kicked in before the 1 minute mark and I watched the last 6 minutes of the video on 1.5x speed in the settings. So glad that section of the movie from 4-5 minutes wasn't a talkie, love the silent films and man that string section of the orchestra from the 4 minute mark or so is simply amazing at that speed.

I would be in for ride up there to look around.

Archived