Head Bearing Replacement - What Needs To Be Purchased?

marriedman

I need to replace the head bearings on the bike and I know that the All Balls tapered bearings are a popular choice. However I was looking around and got the opinion of a friend and I am now torn between OEM and tapered bearings. I only know of All Balls for the tapered bearings, are the other brands that people like better?

Also, what else needs to be purchased to replace the bearings? Seals, widgets, knick-knacks and whatnots?

• Member Contributer

the set from all balls contains all the stuff required to install the bears. Since you are doing it, might as well move to tapered bearings. I have moved to all-balls and quite happy... took a little struggle to get the correct settings and torque as stock torque settings will not work.

• Member Contributer

I went with the OEM. I'd heard that AllBalls uses China bearings so I gave 'em a pass. Cost more but don't like some of the Chinese stuff.

• Member Contributer

Do you remember the torque settings for the tapered bearings?

Sent from my phone.

i had backed hand tightened and then quarter turned. it was about 6~8 lbs/ft. can't check now have the steering damper installed. crazy process to take it out.

The stock bearing are fine, if you prep them well when new. Thats really the problem with early failure, no one preps them till after the damage is done, allows them to get loose and dry. Im over 100,000 miles with stock bearings, but I did prep them back when the bike was brand new.

• Member Contributer

I went with the OEM. I'd heard that AllBalls uses China bearings so I gave 'em a pass. Cost more but don't like some of the Chinese stuff.

And where do you think Honda sources their bearings from?

• Member Contributer

^^^^^^^^^What he said. :cheerleader: Not China.

I'm just of the opinion that some things are better if they aren't from China. I bought my shorty brake/clutch levers off Ebay, and they're from China and I'm very happy with them. My bearings I want from someplace other than China.

• Member Contributer

^^^^^^^^^What he said. :cheerleader: Not China.

I'm just of the opinion that some things are better if they aren't from China. I bought my shorty brake/clutch levers off Ebay, and they're from China and I'm very happy with them. My bearings I want from someplace other than China.

Yeah, I see Japan is still manufacturing some things. Probably why Hondas are so d@mn expensive.

But, if a company isn't mfg in China or any of the other low cost countries they're probably struggling to stay competitive.

Nachi just opened a major mfg plant in China 2 months ago.

And Koyo, I think now JTEKT(?), has bearing manufacturing all over the world including China, Indonesia, India and even the US, in addition to Japan.

It's a global world and unless you have a bearing dna tracker your part could have been made anywhere.

All Balls bearings are high quality, good bearings. I've been through at least a hundred sets of their wheel bearings, and recently installed the tapered headstem bearing on my bike and never had a single problem, every one of them performed flawlessly.

I learned tonight that many of my friends have All Balls bearing and are quite happy with them I'll be ordering a set on Monday.

Thanks for all the input, I see everyones POV and understand it as well. I am okay with the China stamp though.

The bearings All Balls sells are KML bearings.

Office in Hong Kong, factory in China.

http://www.kml-bearing.com/

I have had two sets of KML tapered roller head bearings in my 800, the first set was brinelled, though I cannot say that it did not happen during my accident. The second set is working fine after 3 years and about 25,000km.

Archived