Hole In Radiator

Bleh.

So in trying to determine which hoses I need to replace to quell my coolant leak, I discovered a very fine stream shooting out of the right radiator, facing in. Not sure how you get a hole there, but it's there.. What is my best option?

• Patch the hole (never done this, is it feasible and reliable?)
  • buy a new (used) radiator (not sure why, but right side radiators seem to run $20-30 more than left side)
  • replace with a 6th gen radiator (is this the same across generations? Different part numbers, but they look the same on the OEM parts diagrams.)

Recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Assuming the damage isn't too bad you should be able to solder the hole pretty easily. I'm sure you'd find plenty of videos on YouTube to provide you with some instruction if needed.

Rollin

So you're telling me NOT to panic and spend $300 on an new OEM Honda radiator? :) I'll take it off and have a look see. Thanks for the quick responses! You guys should be riding...

• Member Contributer

Also if you don't want to mess with soldering it you could probably even get by using a little bit of JB weld.

Rollin

I've soldered wires before, never a radiator. But I've got both supplies. I'll post up how it goes, but probably won't get to it until next week.

I'm pretty sure the rad will be Aluminum, not copper, so you will need to hunt down either a rad shop that can weld Aluminum, or a welding shop that does fine work. There may or may not be plastic tanks on either side of the rad. If the joint between them is leaking,, well...........Goofy as is sounds, pouring in black pepper is said to work sometimes.

GL

So I have the radiator off the bike, sitting on my table. And I cannot see a hole anywhere. Tried filling with water, but nothing; guessing that it only leaks under pressure.. Suggestions?

IMAG0041

(Notice what looks like a fine thread, near horizontal, right in the middle of the frame. That's the stream.)

Anyone know off hand what pressure the VFR's coolant system should be tested at?

Edit:

Shop guide says the radiator cap will vent at 16-20 PSI, and when testing, one should not exceed 20 PSI.

The more you know. (dum Dum dum DUM!)

So attempt #1 at soldering the leak did not succeed. I did manage to slightly melt the plastic shroud that sits on top. -_- But I'm optimistic.

I'm going to ride this week; tired of driving the car. Second try hopefully coming this weekend.

After soldering the hole shut, I pressure tested it. Naturally the solder did not hold, and the hole blew again. Pretty sure I made it a bit bigger with that. But that means I could actually see it now (silver lining).

radiator01

No bueno. But a couple days later I remembered that I have some JB Weld. At this point I'm fairly resigned to having to buy a new rad, so I figured what the heck. And if it works, at least that's (maybe) another week of riding in the meantime. So I grabbed the generiDremel and ground down the cross channel. I'd already removed some of the heatsink fins. JB Welded up the crack, currently curing. Tomorrow we'll see what happens.

• Member Contributer

No radiators shop's local if not your gonna have to use acid to clean and silver solder to solder with .. old school .....

Radiator shops that actually FIX radiators seem to be few and far between. I went to a well recommended shop, and all they do is replace them. -_- If I search enough, I'm sure I can find one, but at this point it's probably tainted beyond welding repair.

I bought a plumber's soldering kit. Propane torch, solder and brush on flux. No matter how long I heated the radiator, that sucker never seemed to get hot enough to properly melt the solder. Stupid radiator being designed to stay cool..

JB Weld is on and has cured. Will test tomorrow.

Hard to believe no radiator shops in the chicago area, much better to fix it right by someone who knows what they are doing, than get down the road 20 miles, and spring another leak.

One time I had a suzuki wheel, the sprocket nuts were like butter(soft aluminum). I searched for a machine shop, found one who would take on the job, I wasnt sure how they were going to do it, torch?

They ended up taking a Blade in a lathe, and cut them off, best $25 I ever spent and no damage at all to the wheel.

Archived