2-Piece Leather Suit Fitting Questions

BRad704

This post is in my other thread on the A* boots, but I think it is a whole new conversation.

I bought a used Teknic Chicane 2 piece suit and went for a 45 minute ride around town last night. Here were my thoughts.

First impressions is that either i need to be 2" shorter, or this thing has just gotten stiff and needs to be worn to loosen up. I'm ok standing, but can feel how tight the suit is. Once I'm on the bike, it seems to fight against my every-move. Again, I hope it just needs to loosen up.

Second impression is that I don't know that I need any perfs until the real summer. riding in upper 60's at dusk and there was a ton of cool airflow coming in through the stretch panels inside my arms and pits.

Third impression - (I like lists, OK?) - The seat is really really slick now. In my kevlar cargos, my butt grips the Lil' Ninja seat just fine and I'm in total control of where my body goes. With the suit on, I was sliding forward constantly (partly to the forward sloping seat), but it made me wiggle a few times when I was re-adjusting my balance after sliding around on the seat.

Fourth impression - knees no longer grip the sides of the fairing/tank as well. I know there are grip pads to help with this, and I'll have to get some. Since I was sliding forward, and couldn't get a solid lock wit my knees, I had a lot more pressure on my hands.

Does all this sound 'normal' with a suit that's been hanging for a while (ie, not being ridden and has gotten stiff)?

Any thoughts or advice? I have zero experience with suits like this.

post-26643-0-46640500-1365429303.jpg

• Member Contributer

A suit should be snug but not tight. It also should allow unhindered movement. You should be able to sit in a "race" and/or "normal" riding position comfortably. Ideally when trying on suits there should be a bike that you can sit on and check how it feels in several riding positions, upright, tucked, hanging off the sides, etc. At the D-Store here in Costa Mesa they have a bike setup in the store just for this. It typically is a Ducati or Triumph, as Newport Ducati/Triumph is literally around the corner and they provide the "test" bike, so the position is usually more "race" style.

I like a little extra room in my suits so that I can put in my Knox back protector, with my Dainese suits, there is just enough room for it without causing me any discomfort. Having a chest protector too would be another consideration but then I definitely would have to go up one size. Note that not all "off the shelf" suits fit everybody the same and you may not be in an predetermined size i.e. 50, 52, etc. you may fall in the middle of two sizes and if that is the case I personally would go up a size and possibly have it altered. Its' a lot easier to remove excess material than to try an add more. That's my two cents.

I got this one used for what I feel is a near-steal of a price, so there wasn't really any test fitting I could do. It's a Teknic 44 and I'd put the fit somewhere between snug and tight. ideally, I think a 46 would have fit me better.

Wacka Wacka Wacka... LOL. Actually I have slacked off on my running in the last couple of months, so I've gained about 10lbs. Since last November I did part of the 193 mile Ragnar Ultra Team Relay (1st place finish), 50k at Sylamore and the Little Rock Marathon (only 2 wks after 50k). I'm a bit burnt out right now. No time for that though, I have the Memphis in May Tri on 5/18. I guess that will be my weight-loss plan.

• Member Contributer

I hear ya. Probably is a size too small. You could try some leather conditioner to help soften it up and see if that helps any. Do the sleeves "pull up" when you bend your arms? for that matter the the same when bending your knees? Does the suit tighten up more when doing either movement? Dieting helps more with "girth" fitting issues, so if the suit is tight "around" you and the sleeves, pant legs are not moving you bend your arms/legs, you may consider dieting.

Ok, I think I have my approach to resolution figured out.

1 - stop being a fatty.

2 - get good leather conditioner and use it

3 - wear a base layer under the suit a few times to help stretch it

4 - stretch it enough to allow me to go back to eating junk food. :)

• Member Contributer

It will loosen up. Better to have it on the snug side than the loose side. It will break in on your body and get better. If it gives you an excuse to lose a couple of lbs then all the better.

You just aren't used to wearing a full leather suit, that is about most of it. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Use some leather care oil on the whole suit. I use the Red Wing boot oil that has pine pitch in it. It's a lot cheaper than the specialty ones you will find. It will condition the leather and probably make the suit more "grippy" on your seat.

Thanks guys!

I did some errands at lunch today with only the jacket (plus kevlar cargos over my jeans) and it was really comfortable. It seems to be the "height" issue that makes them seem restrictive.

I went to Tandy and asked them what leather conditioner to get. Ended up with Dr, Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator. It's a conditioner/cleaner and should help soften up the leather and let it stretch/conform to fit me. Also like the idea of the Boot Oil with pine pitch in it. I'm not looking for 'sticky', just not 'slick'.

Nothing specific for the older VFRs or my Ninja ZX2R :) But they do have universal kits. I have seen those before and I think this might be a good answer for me.

After greasing up the pants really good with Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator from Tandy.... I put them on and buffed them with a dry terrycloth rag. SOOOO much difference!!!

The leather is already softer and more pliable, and the slipping is 100% gone. Maybe a little TOO tacky on the seat now, but I think that will wear off with some use. I have the jacket hanging up all greased right now. I'll buff it later tonight. Planning on riding a good bit this weekend, so I'll get to stretch the suit to myself pretty soon. :D

Thanks for all y'alls help on this!

Glad that it has stretched some, but before you go too nuts on anything else, just wear it and use it. I bought a Tecknic jacket years ago and immediately regretted it, because I thought I went too small. But it was my first leather jacket and I was determined to make it work. After about a month of daily wear, it loosened up and stretched perfectly to my body. So, if you bought it second hand, it's probably been sitting for a while. Wear it for a couple weeks, in the heat and with you moving around on the bike, I suspect it will be just about perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

So in the last month, I've gotten back into running more consistently and lost about 10lbs so far.

I'm wearing the suit right now with sweatpants under the pants to loosen up the thighs. No fat there, just runner/cyclist legs.

Still having questions about height. standing straight up, it feels ok... but as soon as I sit down (much less tuck), I get a puffy area at the back of the collar, and the front of the collar digs into my throat.

• 4 months later...

I'm a rider mostly i have used leather suit for riding because leather is better and comfortable for racing. And pretty good work leather is cover our body and good fit and safe our body in crashes. And sometime i have used leather jacket for motorbike racing.

Just a thought...since it is two piece, make an extension that zips the pants and jacket together. Crescent shaped as you don't probably don't need extra length in front, just the back. I remember the old flat track leathers were baggy in the butt when walking around. When in the riding position they fit great.

Just a thought...since it is two piece, make an extension that zips the pants and jacket together. Crescent shaped as you don't probably don't need extra length in front, just the back. I remember the old flat track leathers were baggy in the butt when walking around. When in the riding position they fit great.

You know, I've actually seriously considered that. It wouldn't need more than an inch in the very rear, and would still be fully covered under the hem of the jacket.

Possibly removing one side of the zipper and sewing in the extension solid, instead of making an extra zipper piece.

• Member Contributer

Call your local racetrack...they will likely know someone who does racing leather repairs and it would be a simple inexpensive thing to do. I had my RS Taichi one piece altered in much the same way, only to accommodate my expanding gut...ugh! Cost about $100-150 IIRC

Call Barnacle bill he does all of our alterations...also wear the suit in the shower...then wear it until it dries...it will stretch as long as its quality leather...showers are just a faster sweat in it break in process...we tell all customers to do this with new suits and gloves...works like a charm

Sent from Samsung Galaxy NOTE

Archived