So I Got The 2013...

fotodadi

• Member Contributer

...and I am back in the saddle.

I weighed things carefully knowing that even when I fix my old bike, I would be able to sell it for a tidy sum. I did the math.....accounting for depreciation and all....and took the plunge.

In black.....the current fastest color :cool:

My first ride to the fuel station was a revelation. Was it me or did the bike feel smoother?

Riding around since Friday has me thinking that its not me...the bike IS actually smoother. Honda has made quite a few changes...and not just cosmetic either. The gear changes now are almost imperceptible. And the logic the ECU uses has been changed completely (IMHO). Example; with my 2010, if you are in auto mode and hit the paddles to either change up or down, the ECU makes the change you requested but then also throws the bike to "Manual Mode". Not so with this baby. No matter what you do with the paddles, you will not get a change in mode until you hit the mode switch.

Cosmetic changes are

1. A new dash to accommodate the traction control and parking brake. Color of the dials is also different.

2. New seat design. Much better details along with an even higher feel of quality.

3. LED Rear/brake light

4. the DCT sticker! :491:

Some pictures for you to enjoy!

post-15902-0-79895900-1365411230.jpg

post-15902-0-00537400-1365411390.jpg

post-15902-0-87546000-1365411422.jpg

post-15902-0-69035700-1365411435.jpg

post-15902-0-30092700-1365411475.jpg

post-15902-0-39616800-1365411509.jpg

post-15902-0-64605600-1365411553.jpg

post-15902-0-24861700-1365411590.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wow!!! You are a brave man, considering the position you landed in with VFR1200 1.0................

Nice bike and all that, BUT

RED is the fastest color... sorry... :goofy:

Wow!!! You are a brave man, considering the position you landed in with VFR1200 1.0................

Nice bike and all that, BUT

RED is the fastest color... sorry... :goofy:

Yeah, if you're going Downhill.... :tongue:

Congrats! Digging the seat and the LED tail lights. The turn signals are still the same incandescent bulbs right?

Wish Honda would move/add button to work the displays to the handlebar. Having to reach for the dash is getting old.

What tires come with the '13?

I like the inclusion of a temp display under the speedo, and the new tach face looks much better. Are those weird grab handles part of the topcase rack kit, or are they on all the 2013s? Also noticed the ignition has a weird tab on the top that says H.I.S.S.

BTW, props to you for not completely abandoning ship after your struggles with your 2010. That's dedication!

I like the inclusion of a temp display under the speedo, and the new tach face looks much better. Are those weird grab handles part of the topcase rack kit, or are they on all the 2013s? Also noticed the ignition has a weird tab on the top that says H.I.S.S.

BTW, props to you for not completely abandoning ship after your struggles with your 2010. That's dedication!

I noticed the H.I.S.S. too. Sounds almost like the KiPASS on my Concours 14. But the ignition key is still there.

The grab handle are part of the optional Honda top rack kit. I also notice one of the pics has GIVI top case rack on it.

H.I.S.S. is the security system that Honda puts on the bikes overseas. It's basically the same chip in the key system that cars have had over here for a while. For some reason they don't put the system on the bikes sold in the US. Not sure why. Seems kind of weird since I'm sure we wouldn't mind a security system built in too.

I noticed the H.I.S.S. too. Sounds almost like the KiPASS on my Concours 14. But the ignition key is still there.

The grab handle are part of the optional Honda top rack kit. I also notice one of the pics has GIVI top case rack on it.

That's not a Givi top case. That's the official Honda OEM top case. Can't see the top but based on the mount it looks like it's the OEM 45 liter case that's available overseas. I bought mine from the UK to replace the smaller one we have here. The bigger one is big enough to fit 2 full face helmets. Or enough clothes to go away for more than a couple days and not wear the same stinky clothes multiple days. :)

The left bike has the Honda OEM top case. The one on the right has the grey Givi top rack I was referring to. You can almost make out the "GIVI" lettering on the side of the rack (round silver emblem). The shape is easy to recognize. It too has grab handles, but I believe they are tubular steel, instead of the OEM Honda grab rails, which are beefy solid cast aluminum.

The left bike has the Honda OEM top case. The one on the right has the grey Givi top rack I was referring to. You can almost make out the "GIVI" lettering on the side of the rack (round silver emblem). The shape is easy to recognize. It too has grab handles, but I believe they are tubular steel, instead of the OEM Honda grab rails, which are beefy solid cast aluminum.

Ah. LOL. I don't think my brain acknowledged there was another bike in that picture since it's all broken. It was just to sad so my brain blocked it out.

• Member Contributer

Right you are Volfy...the 2010 bike has the Givi set up. I modified the bracket though so its a lot stronger than the original kit that came from Givi. The grab handles are actually rubberized so you don't see or feel any of the metal beneath.

The Bike is UK spec and came with Bridgestones 021s.

Honda has promised to get back to me on the old one later this week. Will update that thread when the situation changes.

Turn signals are still the same incandescent bulbs....but I quickly swapped those for LEDs with a LED relay.

In the UK, the bike comes from the dealer with Luggage. The standard is the "smaller" box and not the 45lit one. The base for both boxes is the same (or so the dealer told me)

Spent some time installing a HID projector for the Dip light and HID bulb kit for the beam and moving a lot of my "personalized" stuff from the 2010 to the '13.

Will post up some pictures of the "new" look light. :wink:

Thanks for all the love, guys. The DCT is really something else. It will take more that a screwed up engine to get me to leave. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the new 2013!! Can we see a full side view, showing the black paint?

fotodadi, thanks for the info. I kinda figured the right one was your old '10, but all that plastic wrap made it hard to see exactly. Hope Honda do right by your '10.

• Member Contributer

Ok! An update.

Have started installing all my little toys and today was time for the shock sensing Gorilla alarm. As I lifted up the tank....a new sensor, circled in pink. I guess its for the board computer. That, plus the the Traction control begins to tell me the wiring harness will probably be slightly different. Hmmmmm :comp13:

I have also installed a HID Projector. Very nice.

Pics for your pleasure.

post-15902-0-86207300-1365617291.jpg

post-15902-0-30715100-1365617309.jpg

post-15902-0-93991300-1365617327.jpg

post-15902-0-38749100-1365617347.jpg

post-15902-0-21500500-1365617369.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the pics. I'm not usually a fan of black bikes, but admit that Honda's done a very nice job with shiny/matte black + silver bits. Looks good :-)

Nice bike, congrats on the replacement! ...I really like the look of the seat. I wonder if the deeper welting is to prevent the bubbling of the vinyl that my 2010 is already exhibiting.

Funny you installed the projector on the low beam. I just bought a retrofit kit and will be installing on the high beam. I already did a standard HID conversion on the low beam and would rather keep it that way. I would prefer to have the bi-xenon projector below and have it ON all the time, so I will essentially have the benefit of dual headlamps. This way, when I switch to high beam, the only thing that happens is the solenoid in the bi-xenon pulls the shield away to expose the full beam pattern.

Did you have to put the headlamp in the oven to split it open for the projector install?

• Member Contributer

So what happens with 2010 ?

I think I missed the story too....

I'm waiting for the 8th gen when they go back to a 20+ liter fuel tank, that can get 300km or more to a tank. Not that I have any insight, just a dream.

• Member Contributer

Nice bike!!!

I'm waiting until my '03 is run down amd it cannot be salvaged anymore. By then we should be at the 10th gen or something like that. All ekectric, so tank size will kit be an issye anymore.

I too missed the story about the 2010. Good luck with this one.

C

• Member Contributer

I beleive from the other topic that the matter is in hand with Honda.

While this is ongoing, I think radio silence is good.... Am sure we will read once things are solidified!

• Member Contributer

The seat on my 2010 also started bubbling while right now Honda Nigeria called me as investigations are ongoing. We will see what happens.

My experience with the Projectors has been quite interesting. I put one in my R1200GS and also in my Pathfinder. I observed that the light pattern distribution is very focused and actually not as "wide" as when the HID was in the reflector alone. Also going by what I see as stock equipment, I rarely see projectors in the high beam for cars. (the current Ford Explorer is an example of this exception)The reflector is usually employed for that. However, the projector is almost always on the low beam. But then again, that is to be expected from the projector as my understanding is that the focused, narrower low beam will reduce the scatter and glare that on-coming vehicles will experience. So I decided to put the projector in the low beam for that reason. When I go to high beam, I want the beam to be as wide and far reaching as possible. When I put on the low, I want a beam that is the most comfortable for on-coming vehicles. This is better achieved by the reflector than the projector IMHO.

To split the head lamp, my trusty heat gun came in handy.

Thanks for the explanation.

My stock seat on the '10 also started bubbling, but I ride on the OEM optional low seat, and it is far more comfortable for me, so the stock seat is pretty much gonna live in the attic from now on. The warranty has expired on my '10, so no getting with Honda for me.

Archived