I Just Went Back In Time... Whoa!

Kel

• Member Contributer

Last year I found a Hot Wheels toy for my son that I had as a kid. It had templates that let you draw different Hot Wheels cars or mix and match to make your own. When I opened the box, I was instantly warped back to 1970 in Knoxville TN. It was a really odd sensation. I could hear my Moms voice, see my toy box and feel the cold tile on the floor.

Today it happened again.

This time the date was June 11, 1985. I was at Depot Honda in Hampton NH. My 1000R had arrived so I was there to see it uncrated and HOPEFULLY take it home. I watched as they removed the box and even though there was some plastic covering certain bits, I could still make out the most incredible site I'd ever seen. It was gorgeous! What sparked this time bending journey you ask?

This came in the mail today(haven't seen one before in my travels )...a factory setup manual that came in the crate to help techs to assemble new bikes. I was allowed to look through it while the guys were putting together MY new bike. Having it in my hands today brought me back to the garage. I can hear people's comments as new things were discovered or how it was looking in the various stages of being built. Salesmen to parts guys kept coming in to check on the progress...and leaving with a "you lucky SOB." Even though I couldn't pick it up till the next day, getting to be part of the "birth" was unforgettable.

29 pages covering everything from putting the front wheel on to filling the battery to adjusting the headlight to topping off all fluids.

72907f5c-e714-4a00-a815-71a904fef9c5_zps

1ec78dc2-c378-46cb-b2b8-ed8874df642f_zps

ddbb59d4-6bcc-4d15-9211-3fbd84754dfe_zps

This was given to the customer.

36f4d2ba-f624-4773-8e8f-3c5bdd57c71b_zps

I asked Lenny, the owner if he would ask the guys not to test drive it so I'd be the first in the saddle. Since I'd bought several bikes from him, he agreed. The next day I took her for her inaugural ride.

One year later I was lucky enough to have an '86 manual in my hand to put together a new '86. I was now a salesman there and if a customer needed a bike and the guys in the shop were all busy, I'd get to assemble bikes and test drive them. What a job.

• Member Contributer

I know the feeling! I was working at the Yamaha shop when the first FJ1200 came in. I unpacked it, prepped it, and then Mike, the owner said someone needed to "test ride" it. He

knew I'd liked the FJ1100 but was really lusting after the new 1200. Consequently I took it out, and told them they need to put a Sold sign on it when I pulled back in. That was in 1986 and I

still have that bike down in the garage. Been from California to New Brunswick and a lot of points in between on that bike. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Apparently I must not have gotten one of these with my bike. :goofy:

36f4d2ba-f624-4773-8e8f-3c5bdd57c71b_zps

I may have voided my warranty by now as well!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I worked at a small shop near here and got to test ride a number of cool bikes RC 30s and the RC45 0001 ,the owner always said that it was my life if I trashed one of them . Great times and lots of road test time .

Archived