Great Summary Of "necessary" Gear And Why. Quoted From User ~Moldbuster~ On Ninjette.org

BRad704

• Member Contributer
Does anyone have any recommendation on boots?

I love my TCX boots, I have 3 pairs, 'S-Zero' (Winter/Touring), 'S-Race' (Summer/Sport) and low cut "Street" boots 'Jupiter2'. They fit me well and the quality is great. I also have a pair of SIDI Cobra boots that are nice too, but they do not fit me as well as the TCX.but are great quality as well. I think the TCX fit better is because the TCX are size 8 (41) but the SIDIs are 8.5 (41), not sure why the SIDIs are a half size larger at the same euro size?

• Member Contributer
Does anyone have any recommendation on boots?

I love my TCX boots, I have 3 pairs, 'S-Zero' (Winter/Touring), 'S-Race' (Summer/Sport) and low cut "Street" boots 'Jupiter2'. They fit me well and the quality is great. I also have a pair of SIDI Cobra boots that are nice too, but they do not fit me as well as the TCX.but are great quality as well. I think the TCX fit better is because the TCX are size 8 (41) but the SIDIs are 8.5 (41), not sure why the SIDIs are a half size larger at the same euro size?

I bet your foot is at least average-wide. The Sidi's generally fit me well (I have the Cobra Rain and Streetburners) and I have a medium-narrow foot. When I tried the TCX boots they were wide for me...

Well written and I agree with it completely, however it doesn't go far enough. I am well aware of the problems of road rash, but a more serious injury exists in my mind. First off I've ridden motorcycles since I was 10. Most of my riding has been on the road, but I have many years on the dirt. I have been involved in many crashes on the dirt (as you would expect on the track.) An d I have one major accident on the road. It is this accident that has changed my life. I always thought that any accident could be avoided on the street if you were vigilant enough. I have changed my opinion on that subject. I ahve also changed my mind on what gear should do.

All of my injuries are the result of impact. I had two small Places on my knees that looked lie abrasions. However after examining all my gear it is evident that they were the result of impact also. My injuries in order of significance was 5 broken ribs (leading to a punctured lung, bruised liver,) a broken shoulder blade, a fractured hip, a fractured thumb, and then two impact injuries on my knees. All of this was due to impact. I have not included nerve damage, muscle/ligament or other soft tissue damage that resulted from the impact.

This is not a pity party but a process of revelation I have been going through for the past 8 months. I am still months away from returning to riding if I can, but I have already found some peace of mind if I return. Every piece of safety gear I had on was ruined. Helmet, boots, armored cortech jacket (minor tears and holes but ruined,) Oh wait a minute my gloves came through relatively unscathed. My pants were cut off of me. All of my gear worked as it was supposed to but I was in a hospital for 11 days while my lung re-inflated. In the months since I have wondered what I could have done to avoid this. Much more I wondered how I could return to riding with a rib cage that is compromised. So off I went in search of new gear to try and protect my chest.

I'm a big guy and most protection is for smaller racer types. But I found a possible savior.

http://www.impactarmor.com/

Custom fit impact armor. This may have lessened my injuries much more than all the gear I had on. I have contacted them and they seem like the real deal. Now I'm asking for your comments on this as necessary gear. What do you think? Am I off base or is the biggy impact? From my one crash on the street I am of the opinion that impact is the cause of most serious injuries. What does the community think?

Bill

• Member Contributer

IMO if it makes you feel safer/better when riding, then get it with all due haste. What gives you confidence is much more important than what other people think of it. It looks like something that may have helped lessen your injuries, but not knowing the details(and don't want to) it's tough to say for sure. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Fabulous write up. I never go anywhere on my mc without either my Roadcrafter Two-Piece or my leather Transit Suit. I've been down a time or two and due to the gear, I remain in one piece.

I now have to amend this statement:

After hitting a deer on the freeway, at speed, I was in several pieces but I was alive and am now walking around. All The Gear made All The Difference. And I'll tell you, there is no better feeling than surviving a Should Be Dead incident and being able to, eventually, return to mc riding.

ATGATT: Highly Recommended. Accept No Substitutes.

:wheel: :3: One dead deer; one alive (and walking around) rider.

• Member Contributer

Custom fit impact armor. This may have lessened my injuries much more than all the gear I had on. I have contacted them and they seem like the real deal. Now I'm asking for your comments on this as necessary gear. What do you think? Am I off base or is the biggy impact? From my one crash on the street I am of the opinion that impact is the cause of most serious injuries. What does the community think?

Bill

I've had an impact armor chest/back protector since 2004. When you see Colin Edwards sit down (or Nicky Hayden for that matter) get off their GP bikes and sit down in the garage, one of the first things you'll see is them remove the chest protector portion of the impact armor. While a cliche, if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. All riding in my twisties I have either a 2pc or 1pc Alpinestars suit on, with CE armor, along with Alpinestars Gloves (GP Pro's), Sidi Vertigo Corsa boots, and my impact armour on. If I could afford it I'd have the Dainese Air or Alpinestars Tech Air Race suit.

When it's cold I ditch the Alpinestars suits and switch to a 1pc Roadcrafter where I use the impact armor.

Chest/back protectors are a great idea and you should get one if you have the means. You'll need someone to measure you as they are custom fitted.

• Member Contributer

Bill

I've had an impact armor chest/back protector since 2004. When you see Colin Edwards sit down (or Nicky Hayden for that matter) get off their GP bikes and sit down in the garage, one of the first things you'll see is them remove the chest protector portion of the impact armor. While a cliche, if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. All riding in my twisties I have either a 2pc or 1pc Alpinestars suit on, with CE armor, along with Alpinestars Gloves (GP Pro's), Sidi Vertigo Corsa boots, and my impact armour on. If I could afford it I'd have the Dainese Air or Alpinestars Tech Air Race suit.

When it's cold I ditch the Alpinestars suits and switch to a 1pc Roadcrafter where I use the impact armor.

Chest/back protectors are a great idea and you should get one if you have the means. You'll need someone to measure you as they are custom fitted.

Hmm, Impact Armor seems to be just around the corner from where I live. I need to check them out. Looking at their web site, I only see a P.O. Box. I guess I'll have to email them and see if they take walk-in visits.

I agree, buy whatever gear/armor it takes to make yourself feel comfortable and secure.

• Member Contributer

Hmm, Impact Armor seems to be just around the corner from where I live. I need to check them out. Looking at their web site, I only see a P.O. Box. I guess I'll have to email them and see if they take walk-in visits.

I agree, buy whatever gear/armor it takes to make yourself feel comfortable and secure.

Wow, lucky. I'd email/call them and set up an appointment. I'd kill to have someone like that local. I hate you Cali guys, so much shit there! Put me in Monterey close to Dan Kyle's shop and Laguna Seca and I'd be in heaven!

• Member Contributer

BTW, if you get an appointment, let me know. I'd like to go along and check them out.

• Member Contributer
As far as gloves go, I like the ones that have the Knox SPS* built into the palm. Teknic has a pair (Lightning) that are very affordable ~$99.00 and in my case worked really well! Below is a picture of the Teknic Lightning and a pair of the Knox Biomech gloves that have the SPS setup. I use the Teknic for daily use and the Knox when I'm out sport riding. The Knox have a little better airflow and a Kangaroo skin palm

*Scaphoid Protection System

Thanks Duc. Based on your recomendation I bought a pair of Knox Recon Hand Armour. On clearance at Sportbike Track And Gear. $99.95.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6963

• Member Contributer

BTW, if you get an appointment, let me know. I'd like to go along and check them out.

I just received a reply to my email. They are just north of McClellan field, so that puts them right between work and home for me. I'll set up an appointment and let you know when it is.

Archived