Sprocket Removal

Audigier

Im looking for info on my manual but can't find any specific about this...

im going to remove and reinstall the sprockets, the rear seems to be easy, for the front i dont want to remove anything unnecesary. can you tell me where to look or tell me how to do it the best way??

somewhere on manual says to remove clutch slave and speed sensor.

so for those who have been there, thats why im asking before messing up :D

Is it necesary to remove the clutch slave?

no you do not have to remove the slave. If you do, hold the piston in, and immediately wrap it in a few rounds of black tape, or the piston will creep out of the bore and fall on the floor, because it is spring loaded. Ask me how I know.

Get yourself a piece of cardboard and draw a rough sketch of the countershaft cover, and poke each bolt through the cardboard in the appropriate locations because they are unequal length and need to go back into the proper spot.

Get yourself a piece of cardboard and draw a rough sketch of the countershaft cover, and poke each bolt through the cardboard in the appropriate locations because they are unequal length and need to go back into the proper spot.

A friend walked into my garage in the middle of a project, and marveled at the several carboard boxes used for exactly that purpose, and copious amounts of blue painter's tape marking different sections of my floor used to organize bits-n-pieces. (I have since moved up to fishing tackle type boxes for portability and storage.)

Regarding the front sprocket though, I've found it useful (if really tight) to loosen the nut before removing anything else. I'll sit on the bike (on the center stand) and stand on the rear brake while going to town on the breaker bar. I've also left bikes on side stands, and braced the front against something sturdy, like my car, while pulling on the bar.

All else fails, find a friend with an impact gun, and don't leave the tranny in gear. Not sure it will hurt it, but I've never wanted to take the chance.

• Member Contributer

I also use some styrofoam and a marker to organize bolts makes a lot of time for me doing repairs on the job and in my own garage .Just put bolts in the correct pattern on the styrofoam and it is realy simple to push into place .

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the parts organization suggestions. I love the cardboard and styrofoam suggestions. I use empty egg cartons but will add the others to my techniques.

The cardboard is only necessary when you have the annoyance of different sized bolts for the same component. Like the clutch cover on my Kawasaki. I swear that thing had 4 different lengths around the outside of the cover.

Hello again, we'll I am ready to perform surgery on my bike.

The clutch slave seems to be bolted into the sprocket cover.

Is it independently bolted to it or those bolts also hold the cover in place? I'm trying to understand how it is assembled to prevent headaches.

I'm going to change the oil and filter, I have a socket that fits on the filter do I need to remove the left fairing anyway?

• Member Contributer

Do a search on the procedure for changing the front sprocket ...you don't want to piston coming all the way out. As far as the oil change you can do it without removing the left plastic. I remove it because it is easier for me. Do yourself a favor and crack the filter loose while the bike is cold and you can even leave the filter socket type wrench on while you warm it up...extension helps get past header pipes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I remove the left fairing, other wise you have to stress the plastic (not good), its just easier with fairing off and you can clean up better. JUst dont put any pressure on fairing bolts going back in, very gentle. I only change filter about every 5 oil changes, that makes it less time consuming.

yes theres like one or 2 bolts you dont have to remove related to the slave

• Member Contributer

so. as long as the clutch slave remains attached to the sprocket cover as i take the cover off, i will be ok??

Yes. The cover can come off with the clutch slave still attached. There are no through bolts from the slave.

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I just replaced my chain and spockets this week. There are 4 that hold the cover to the case. One top and bottom and 2 through the slave cylinder. The 3rd bolt on the slave cylinder is shorter and only threads in to the cover itself.

• Member Contributer

Thanks, its done... I watched a couple youtube videos.. Did the brakes, sprockets and chain.. ready to romp again. thanks!

BTW there are great and very detailed youtube videos for all this stuff..........

Ride on!

Archived