New To Vfrd And Already Building

Guest machloosy

Guest machloosy

Hey guys, I picked up a '91 750f about 36hrs ago. Supposedly 28K on it, but she's not so pretty right yet. This is how she looked coming off the truck.

24hrs after she got home I had sourced my first part haha. Brand new, in the box Acerbis Cyclops Headlight. So naturally I decided to test fit

But knowing that my throttle was seized and I'm picking up an f4i subframe and seat tonight, I started a strip down. Geez these v4 carbs are tough to get off. Turns out, one or more of the carb blades is seized rather than my throttle cable or actual twist grip. I think this is a good thing.... So this is how it sits at the moment.

I don't like to talk an idea up and then look like an ass by not following through, so I'll keep my plans to myself and post pictures and questions as I go. The harness on these bikes suck! Like seriously I think i could scrap 5lbs off the bike if I rebuilt the harness from the ground up... And what is with 4 coils??? Now I have to hide 2 of them inside. Oh yeah, I found a mouse nest in my air box. Cool right?? :rolleyes:

post-26893-0-70003300-1362087539.jpg

post-26893-0-78096100-1362087644.jpg

post-26893-0-80799100-1362087791.jpg

I love rebuild threads. Thanks!

It only took 40+ views for someone to respond! hahaha

This will be pic heavy and question heavy as well. I've only ever worked on every other kind of bike lol i.e. I4, v-twin, and single. Plus I normally just do engine and trans work. Wait... I've worked on v8's, they're like the same only bigger right? :491:

"Meeces" in the airbox sometimes = mouse pee leaking into carbs..... that's could be why your slides are seized.....

Make sure the pee did not go any deeper into the induction system and engine as it has been known to eat into more major (More mechanical) stuff in the engine itself if left to sit in there too long..... I've heard and seen really bad cases of this happening.

I never did understand why mice like to live in airboxes. It must stink of gasoline in there so bad. I guess they get high on it and enjoy it.....

Good luck with your 3rd gen re-build!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

"Meeces" in the airbox sometimes = mouse pee leaking into carbs..... that's could be why your slides are seized.....

Make sure the pee did not go any deeper into the induction system and engine as it has been known to eat into more major (More mechanical) stuff in the engine itself if left to sit in there too long..... I've heard and seen really bad cases of this happening.

I never did understand why mice like to live in airboxes. It must stink of gasoline in there so bad. I guess they get high on it and enjoy it.....

Good luck with your 3rd gen re-build!

Beck

95 VFR

:offtopic:

I discovered this when re-building a CB750. They were no longer mice after the fumes got to them...

rous.jpg

True story. :offtopic:

Welcome to VFRD! Glad to see another one being resurrected!

Hahahahahahahaha I'm dying over here! What a way to start a Friday. Anyhow, PO claims he last rode in early November, so by my math, at worst it has been sitting for less than 4mons. Lets pray he was telling the truth.

Anyhow..... Look what I scored!

f4i subframe, banana seat, scabbed brake/blinker set up, and broken fairings. Guess's on what I paid haha :beer:

Look at the difference in the stock vfr seat, and the f4i seat! Our stocker is like the size of a small moon....

post-26893-0-32563100-1362141932.jpg

post-26893-0-72955400-1362142182.jpg

Put about a tablespoon of motor oil down each carb intake tract, then rotate the engine over by hand several times to get the oil all moved around, and into your cylinders.

It'll help with your rings and it'll burn off on the first start no problem.

:lurk:

Can't wait to see where this goes. Looks like serious streetfighter potential.

That's the hope! There are two other serious goals: April 15th test ride, and I'm committed to a serious budget build (I promise you guys will laugh out loud at what I paid for the bike). I am sort of on a mission to prove to some local guys that you can build a bada** bike with time, commitment, and ingenuity, rather than a wide open wallet.

Questions: Should I put oil in the carbs BEFORE I tear down in an attempt to free up the slides? And also will marvel mystery oil work just as well/better?

Mint stock can. Thinking cut down to about half size with a couple baffles removed. Thoughts?

post-26893-0-89695900-1362154729.jpg

post-26893-0-88488600-1362154757.jpg

As some have already mentioned.

- Pour Mystery oil or Engine fogger down the intakes and manually turn the motor over to get things moving.

- You might not have to tear apart your carbs if you soak them with penetrating oil and be patient. You do not want to force anything and end up bending or breaking something. Not fun.

- While the carbs are off I would also change your spark plugs if you have that as part of your "to do" list. So much easier with carbs off.

good luck keep us posted.

Regarding your modified stock can idea - it will still be heavy once modded. I know its a budget build but keep an ear to the ground for a 4th Gen header system, it weighs a lot less than the 3rd Gen collector. You will need a 4th Gen specific muffler though as the header has a flange mount system, whereas the 3rd Gen is a true slip-on type of system.

Sorry guys I've been out of town. Listening to all this, thanks for the tip on the spark plugs! Definitely planning on changing them. Carbs weren't really scheduled for a true rebuild, just cleaning/freeing up etc.

Phantom, the 4th gen header is already in the plans, just want to make sure she runs well first, as it isn't "necessary" to roll down the road, ya know! But I definitely want the 4th gen header with a stubby pipe! I guess I assumed that the 3rd gen muffler/pipe would go on a 4th gen header no problem. Am I wrong?

More pics to come guys! Sorry there aren't any with this post

Can someone either explain to me or point me towards a thread that talks about using gsxr1000 cop's on our viffers? These coils being gone would be huge for cleaning up the bike!

And thanks for the heads up about the muffler/cans

A couple shots of the mocked up f4i seat and fairings. Have to figure out how to lock the f4i seat to the vfr subframe. Also figure out mounting tabs for the fairings...

Center stand is gone

post-26893-0-66538300-1362622194.jpg

post-26893-0-99522300-1362622217.jpg

'08 GSXR 1000 Coils ordered.... Battery on the charger. Marvel oil in the cylinders.

Decided to use the stock vfr subframe for now and mate the f4i tail and seat too it. I really like the way the mock up looks. I am also trying to reuse the vfr tail light in a modified mounting position using the two tail bolts that hold the mudguard/subframe tray in place(see the pic)... Having done 0 metal working in my life, thoughts on fabbing a bracket?

post-26893-0-80095300-1362671199.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well guys it's been a while, but I think you deserve an update. This bike has been a learning experience for sure. It's always interesting picking up someone else's project, but finding out you are the 3rd or 4th guy in line.... Well that makes everything more foggy. Anyhow she is running and driving as of now. It's still running pretty lean which needles haven't fixed (another story) maybe you guys have thoughts...

These pics show where I stuck the oil cooler for the moment. It ends up being tucked under the light partially.

And the license plate holder is a piece of metal I cut and bent which is attached to an extra hole on my swing arm with a cut down screw. I assume the hole was used by the chain guard (which I don't have)post-26893-0-19736000-1369742758.jpgpost-26893-0-65021500-1369742777.jpg

Here is a picture from her first real ride with a buddy who also spent the last 4mon rebuilding a zx6r. Question by the way... His 600 is WAY faster.. I know I've stripped 50lbs off my bike at least, and while the bike is running lean, I can't imagine it should be that much slower. Are all out vfr's going to be much slower than a standard 600 "rocket? Obviously I love pics from the back that show the open wheel, but here is something from the front where she is decidedly more ugly haha

post-26893-0-82321200-1369743127.jpgpost-26893-0-11294400-1369743143.jpg

• Member Contributer

I tell ya what, I'm jazzed about this sucker running again.

Still really dying to see how it turns out. Back end is starting to look pretty cool!

Thanks Yokel, it's a little wild to have bought something not running and bring it back to life. Thanks on the tail. It's our stock vfr subframe with cbr f4 tail fairings (obviously in rough shape), and a cbr banana seat. Stock taillight back yard engineered to stay on...

And this reminds me... I need some feed back on my lean condition. The bike was running obviously lean when she first came together. Stumbling, you'd have to nurse it up with the throttle to get to higher rpms, significant popping on deceleration, etc. It has a K&N filter in the stock box with the snorkel ON, and I'm running a header only (no muffler). Don't forget this bike is a '91, so it has the big huge collector on the back of the header. I was under the impression that the collector provides more of the back pressure than the slip on does, so whether of not it has a can on, is a moot point(or that's what I understood). Also, I opened up the vaccuum chambers to discover I had after market needles set to run lean. I changed all the needles to a middle setting, and then after testing, ended up going as rich as possible. So in conclusion, my needles are the adjustable clip kind, set at their richest setting, and my a/f mix screws are all the way in... Still getting a lot of popping on deceleration, big huge flat spots, and frankly there is no snap to the throttle. The bike as a whole feels gutless. It feels like riding an old cb550. So other than the very cool sound, it has none of the qualities a Honda V4 should have.

• Member Contributer

Not sure I can help with the jetting issues... and it doesn't sound it will be easy to revert back to stock settings as the needles (maybe jets as well?) have been changed. However my understanding is stock jetting works quite well even with an aftermarket muffler on these bikes. One question I have is are all the vacuum ports and such attached correctly to your carbs? CV carbs need vacuum to operate correctly. In my past experience with a gsxr having carb issues it wouldn't rev cleanly at all past about 6000rpm until I fixed the vacuum lines to the carbs.

I can tell you your buddies ZX6 should be similar in speed to your VFR. A modern 600 will be quite a bit quicker but you should be close to the same as your buddy. Hopefully you can figure it out!

Apexandy, I think you might be on to something because there is remarkably little change with the needle adjustment. My boots aren't in the greatest shape either... So I think in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to buy a set of fresh boots and tear carbs back off the bike. Pull the float bowls and check/clean the jets and go back through everything and see if there is leak in the vacuum chamber or the tubes. It really is just carb tuning so nothing insurmountable, but as we all know... Pulling carbs off this V4 is frustrating on a good day

I can tell you your buddies ZX6 should be similar in speed to your VFR. A modern 600 will be quite a bit quicker but you should be close to the same as your buddy. Hopefully you can figure it out!

this makes me mad haha. And of course my bike is 50lbs lighter than it started. I have no center stand (-15lbs), no stock can or rear pegs(-20lbs), no fairings or dash/gauges, or the heavy stock lights (-15lbs). I may be off a little, but I think I'm pretty close to 50lbs

• Member Contributer

I guess it kind of depends on what type of speed contest we are talking about here... Top speed he should be quicker especially with fairings but lower speed acceleration should be close. Stock hp ratings are close to the same.

Archived