Cheap And Easy Suspension Upgrade?

daword2011

Ok to make it short my bike has 56,000miles on it and the rear shock feels harsh and it likes to wallow in the corners. Plus at my weight (~255) the front end dips pretty heavy when I hit the brakes. The corner performance is ok for my current skill level but I can feel it at times wallowing through a turn and holding a line on a slightly bumpy corner can be difficult. So being cheap I was thinking of starting small. Can I simply change springs in the forks and on the rear shock and get a good difference? I was looking at 1.1 front springs with stock valves and then putting on a 1200lb rear spring on the stock rear shock to help with my weight and corner handling. I would like to start at small changes until I find a happy point that I can stay at. Looking at sonic springs and race tech I find the right springs for my forks in no time. The rear shock is different though, can I change out the spring myself with a spring compressor? I like to do things myself to help with cost and well frankly I like to get my hands dirty! Formy y2k vfr the rear spring measures approximately 2.25x8" correct? So a 2.25x8" 1200lb shock is what i should look for? Also where can I get one of the stock shock adjuster tools? My bike didn't come with a tool kit just the chain adjustment tool unfortunately :/

A CBR 929 shock would offer more adjustment, and can be retrofitted to the VFR800 quite easily.

That, and the stiffer spring would be a "budget" upgrade for you.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/17268-929954-shock-install-5th-gen/

A CBR 929 shock would offer more adjustment, and can be retrofitted to the VFR800 quite easily.

That, and the stiffer spring would be a "budget" upgrade for you.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/17268-929954-shock-install-5th-gen/

But doesn't the 929 kit run $500? I'm not a weekend racer and I don't really go but to the occasional track day so really I'm just looking for a small improvement and just to set the spring rates better to my weight. So when looking at the stock shock with a better rate spring ($80-100) I like the idea a lot more. The same reason I just want springs in the front and not gold valves

• Member Contributer

929 shocks run around $40 last I checked a few months ago. Sonic springs for the front will be around $80-$90. Not sure what rear springs go for, but everything will be well under $500.

I would highly recommend the suspension services of Jamie Daugherty. I had him rebuild my stock shock (Gold Tech valves) with a new spring and rebuild my forks (Gold Tech) with new springs for about $650. Yes $650 total to have both ends rebuilt! The bike rides awesome now. Also a great source for any info. He has done over 500 suspensions. Best of luck.

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com

• Member Contributer

I don't know what good just slapping a 929 shock in there will do. I guess it's better, but ideally will still need to be rebuilt for your weight and riding to be fully effective. Plus, it's too short in stock trim and would need a spacer to lengthen it to, at least, stock VFR length. A bit longer would be ideal, in my experience.

I forget what I paid for mine from member Jamie Daugherty, but I don't think it was $500. It made a world of difference, though!

Quick look on his site:

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/vfr800.html

• Member Contributer

I think Jamie has said that new springs without revalving is not recommended, but I would talk to him.

• Member Contributer

Another vote for Jamie D. I had him rebuild me a stock ABS shock for my '09 and send me the internals for the forks. Half of the project was done by Jamie (rear shock) and the other half by me (front forks), I saved a little money and the outcome was well worth the cost and effort! Personally, unless you have ALL the right tools and a mechanical apptitude, I would probably leave rebuilding the rear shock to a professional. It's at least worth a call to Jamie and see what he could do for you and what it might cost you. Some things you should never "cheap out" on, IMO brakes are the first one, suspension/tires are a close second.

• Member Contributer

I think Jamie has said that new springs without revalving is not recommended, but I would talk to him.

Clearly there is a "good" way to do anything. In most cases this takes money. Regardless of how much there will always be folks who can't afford it all at once. I totally understand, this is often how my own personal finances work.

I get a couple of questions quite often, I'll try to answer them here:

I don't race, and I'm not a crazy aggressive rider. All that I really need is springs, right?

The simple answer is - no. Having a motorcycle that performs well but is also comfortable and controlled are not mutually exclusive. In order to achieve this you must have the correct springs and damping forces. There are Engineering equations that I use to calculate suspension setups. These equations include the sprung weight, the spring force, and the damping force in equal amounts. If you toss in a bunch more spring force most often the equations give results that are undesireable. Springs alone normally cause as many problems as they solve.

With that said, a step in the right direction is a step in the right direction. If you can only afford springs now I would say go for it. Just be aware that your results will not be ideal. This should be part of a long-term goal to have your suspension properly setup, not the final solution.

I do touring and I need comfort so the stock springs are what I should stick with, right?

Higher rate springs ("stiffer") does not equal a harsh ride. Harshness mostly comes from the damping, particularly the high speed range. This is where your stock forks have the most problems. A spring with the proper rate will absorb a bump and settle out quickly. A spring that is too soft will oscillate before settling out. This turns one bump into several. The results are more rider fatiuge over long rides. It might sound hard to believe, but a higher rate spring is often more comfortable. The assumption here is that the damping is configured properly to round out the setup.

I can only afford to do the forks or the shock but not both. Will that cause me problems?

Just like above, an improvement is an improvement. For sure the results of doing just one end and not the other will be limited. The unchanged end will continue to dictate the level or control, comfort, and performance of the overall motorcycle. Getting just one end upgraded will generate a noticeable improvement in the motorcycle.

Ok, so one end is ok. Which one should I do first?

I suggest trying to determine if you are a rider that "rides" more with the front or the rear. Personally, I like a motorcycle with a lot of front end confidence beacuse I braje deep and turn hard with the bars. For me forks are more important, Some people are better at keeping their weight back and use more throttle. For those people the rear might be the better first choice. There is no right or wrong here, just personal preference.

Unfortunately there is no easy or cheap way to gain significat performance. Some ways are cheaper than others. Feel free to shoot me a call or email if you would like to discuss the various options.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for the in depth response. When it comes to te front forks I am confident that when i replace the springs that I know what I am doing. As for the rear shock how can I remove the spring from its location to put a different one in? Looking at pictures I don't see any sort to way to remove the rear spring. I'm trying to start small. Re-spring for my weight and maybe do valves down the road when I get good enough to dislike my suspension again :) for the valves I don't really plan on doing that on my own. Also is stock spring size 2.25x8"??

• Member Contributer

I had my front and rear shocks done a year ago and this made a big difference, but added a new spring to the front last week. I wish I had of coughed up the $$$ and had it all done at one as the difference is amazing. Having seen gopro footage of my front wheel and the movement showed the need for the heavier springs. Good luck, you should have change from $1K to get the whole lot done ride in/ride out.

I had my front and rear shocks done a year ago and this made a big difference, but added a new spring to the front last week. I wish I had of coughed up the $$$ and had it all done at one as the difference is amazing. Having seen gopro footage of my front wheel and the movement showed the need for the heavier springs. Good luck, you should have change from $1K to get the whole lot done ride in/ride out.

Poor college kids rarely seem half that much money in their accounts haha. I am not a rich guy and if I had a grand to put into my bike I would do everything in a heart beat but I'm starting small.

• Member Contributer

Save up and do the lot in 1 go, it'll save you in the long run.

Check out Jamie's link above. You will improve your riding and confidence with a good street set-up.

• Member Contributer

If I send everything in, what would be the turn-around time for you to return?

(That was for Jamie, since I wasn't that clear.)

You'll get a faster response if you send Jamie an email or at the very least a PM.

• Member Contributer

Thank you for the in depth response. When it comes to te front forks I am confident that when i replace the springs that I know what I am doing. As for the rear shock how can I remove the spring from its location to put a different one in? Looking at pictures I don't see any sort to way to remove the rear spring. I'm trying to start small. Re-spring for my weight and maybe do valves down the road when I get good enough to dislike my suspension again :) for the valves I don't really plan on doing that on my own. Also is stock spring size 2.25x8"??

You need special equipment to remove the spring from the shock. Do not try it yourself as it is under almost 1000lb of preload as installed. The 8" long springs are what I use. Keep in mind they require a special adaptor to work on the VFR shock.

If I send everything in, what would be the turn-around time for you to return?

Normally I shoot for 1-2 weeks. Please send me an email for an accurate lead time quote as this varies based on the time of year.

You need special equipment to remove the spring from the shock. Do not try it yourself as it is under almost 1000lb of preload as installed. The 8" long springs are what I use. Keep in mind they require a special adaptor to work on the VFR shock.

>If I send everything in, what would be the turn-around time for you to return?

Normally I shoot for 1-2 weeks. Please send me an email for an accurate lead time quote as this varies based on the time of year.

hmm after looking at prices being $85 for re-springing of the rear i decided that maybe in the next month or so when i take off the swing arm to service the bearings and linkages that i will send in the rear shock to be re-sprung to my weight. I am confident that i can do the front forks by myself, starting small with spring rates and then considering re-valving down the road.

• Member Contributer

you may not have much money but a respring without the valving corrected for that spring rate wont get you much bang for your buck and may dissuade you from future suspension improvements.

as much I am in favor of you doing both ends right and at the same time, if funds are limited I would suggest getting one end done (with springs and valving) and then the other end done correctly when additional funds are available.

do you have anything you can sell? Star Wars action heroes, rare comic books, car or bike parts removed when farkeling, blood? Heck, if you have an aftermarket exhaust before you do your suspension on your VFR you should sell it and put that money towards the shock/fork.

If it will help, I will send you a stock 5th gen rear shock free, you pay only actual shipping cost then you send your shock out to Jamie for respring, revalve. I would reccomend getting a 929 rear from ebay cheap and have that shipped to JD instead.

Archived