Just When I Think I Am Out... I Get Pulled Back In. 1992 Resurection

It was my intention this winter to focus on some home projects that have been neglected because of a few motorcycle projects I have been working on over the past 3-4 winters. I was 90% there and then I took a moment to look on Craigslist, did a quick search and found this......

1992 VFR750,

-one owner bike with clean title,

-15,000.00 miles

-100% stock (it even has every OEM warning decal and uncut rear fender)

- All fairings, intact and clean, Fuel Tank rust free. A few small scratches and a bit of rust in small places.

- It has been parked for several years in the back corner of the guy's garage

- It does not run and he is not sure why but "it ran when I put it away"

-The Guy is not mechanically enclined from what I can tell so who knows "how" he put it way.

So, I don't really need another VFR but I email him a stupid low offer, he bites, wife says "OK" and I buy the bike..... enter 3rd gen VFR #3 in the shop.

In the first hour, The belly pan has evidence of mice, the front calipers are frozen, the clutch does not work, and the fuel is rotten like nothing I have ever seen before. The good news, I have repaired bikes in worse condition and I have plenty of 3rd gen left over parts to help bring it back to life.

More tear down to go before things are clean enough to try and fire it up.... Stay tuned.

post-11427-0-99441700-1359343076.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Congrats! Now sell it to me for the same price plus $100 fir your trouble!!

Nice score!! Please ost before and after pics plus a bit of info on what you need to do tobitvto make it roadworthy.

C

OK,...

The airbox was the former home for a family of rodents. Air box in great shape, new filter easy to replace

The carbs are going to be a project unto themselves to clean and rebuild. Fortunately I have quite a few carb parts on hand to get that completed.

Coil wires, mice nibbled on those a little... After some digging I found another set from another VFR project. I need to go over the rest of the electrical harness to make sure there was no more taste testing.

Motor turns freely and Valves look to be in good order. If the motor or valves were questionalable it would have been parted.

Fairings are in good shape, some buffing, polishing and a repaint of one upper and that will be good.

.... On to rebuilding carbs. Pics soon.

• Member Contributer

Good on you for keeping another one alive! It is our mission!

• Member Contributer

I think I saw that one. Way to go, it's in good hands and it's more fun than any old flooring project any day!

Lucky you. Nice bike. Looks like a good project and I like the picture with the 3 bikes. Add a red color one to the fleet and it will be complete :)

These carbs have seen better days for sure. 100% totally frozen, filthy and I have never had fuel smell so bad... These will be dipped and cleaned but I doubt they will come back they are so frozen. The good news, I have another set of 3rd gen carbs, clean, dialed in and ready to go.

I have to say that working on this is not so bad. everything is in order and just wicked dirty. I have been digging through my boxes of parts "I could not get rid of" to replace just little things like the fuel line holder, fuel petcock, 1 carb boots. I also have the new parts that I will be replacing, new fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter, sprocket/chain, battery and tires.

Most of the time has been spent going over the wire harness looking for more damage, cleaning contacts and grounds and buffing out the OEM panels. I am not sure what kind of crud has been covering this bike but once the panels are buffed and polished they look like great. In a short matter of time I will have the carbs back on and once I know everything working I will work on suspension and full fluid flush.

post-11427-0-92737700-1360719453.jpg

Nice looking line up there Viffer :) You going for a Rothman's color scheme on your track bike?

Yes, it was Rothmans inspired but was subject to interpretation.

Can you post a pic or two of the rear end? After the thread discussing taillight stalks and their removal I'm really curious to see what stock lights and fenders look like :happy: My bike came de-stalked and the fender was tastefully chopped. I didn't realize that wasn't stock for quite a long time...

Oh, and the resto looks great so far. Hopefully those critters didn't mess with anything else...

Sorry, missed this request. When I put it back together I will post a picture.

I can remember pulling those carbs off my 86 magna and then the 93 VFR the first time, what a bear.

This is not my first time with V4 cabs, so a little experience helps. The part I don't like is getting them back on and making sure they are seated properly and then synchronizing them is a test of my patience to get them just right.

Soooo my VFR serial number is telling me I own serial #5.... Digits 12 - 17 of the VIN validate this.....

my other VFRs have been in the 400 -500-700 range. Anyone think that is important? Not sure what I think.

OK. These are the most dirty set of carbs I have worked with. I was going to throw them out but a trusted mechanic friend gave me "proffesional" some carb cleaner that he says will save them. Don't ask me what it is, I am afraid to ask.

The solution was the color of tea when I started, after a long soak the solution is the color of coffee. The carbs are starting to free up. Maybe he was right.

post-11427-0-93142800-1361583679.jpg

I was getting the final setting on my carbs set when one of the idle adjustment screws was just spinning and when I tried to remove the little cap I also removed (snapped) the screw head on the adjustment screw.

I walked away, got some advice, came back to it the next day and fortunately there was just enough of the adjustment screw left for me to use the Dremel to slot what was left and remove it. Fortunately I had a few spare adjustment screws (these are no longer available through Honda, Sudco might have them but not sure) and I am back on track.

Working on carburetors is not my favorite thing to do.

Nice save! I'm so paranoid about problems like that I keep EVERY part I have ever removed from my bike. Why would I need worn clutch plates? Who knows but I got 'em!

4 third gen VFR's.... The spares from different projects have take up tons of space in my shop.

Archived