Just When I Think I Am Out... I Get Pulled Back In. 1992 Resurection

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 third gen VFR's.... The spares from different projects have take up tons of space in my shop.

Sweet! So you have an extra 8 spoke you aren't using, right? poke.gif

Naaaaaaa it is the two full sets of NEW 93 fairings & rims that take up space

Carbs cleaned, adjusted and ready for mounting. These are not the cruddy ones that are still soaking but these came out nice.

post-11427-0-71415200-1361972965.jpg

post-11427-0-42934500-1361972983.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice save! I'm so paranoid about problems like that I keep EVERY part I have ever removed from my bike. Why would I need worn clutch plates? Who knows but I got 'em!

4 third gen VFR's.... The spares from different projects have take up tons of space in my shop.

Spare parts are only saved so they can be used for the next project. And you keep buying projects until you're out of spare parts.

Nice save! I'm so paranoid about problems like that I keep EVERY part I have ever removed from my bike. Why would I need worn clutch plates? Who knows but I got 'em!

Spare parts are only saved so they can be used for the next project. And you keep buying projects until you're out of spare parts.

YoshiHNS you speak the truth.

The only reason I have the 92 project is because I was actually looking to see what the value of my VFRs would be because I was entertaining the thought of selling them (I am way over that now) and looked on Craiglist. Found the 92 and said to myself, "Self if you can buy it cheap enough you should have all the parts you need to bring this one back from the dead".

Short of a fuel petcock, battery (though I have a nice collection of dead batteries), chain, air/fuel filters I have had everything.

• Member Contributer

Same thing with my 3000GTs. Had a spare tranny from the first one, so we found another one with a blown tranny. Then somehow ended up with a spare set of heads, so found another one with blown heads. I think I'm out of spare parts now.

Those things are still soaking? Damn! I have seen the Pine Sol method clean some seriously ugly carbs overnight.

Before:

DSC03038.jpg

After:

DSC03039.jpg

That was just pine sol and 3M abrasive pads to clean the brass. Here is the link to the thread I found it in:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/577618-how-clean-zenith-40s.html

They are "clean" and are looking really good. The problem is everything is seized up from the corrosion and by soaking them I am hoping things free up enough for me to disassemblme without destroying parts that are expensive or unavailable. This is not a cosmetic soaking.

This bike has been sitting in the corner of an unheated garage for 11 years. The good side about the carbs is they were stuck with the butterfly's closed so the engine intake valves and ports have not been affected by the mouse urine. Yummmmmmm

I will try the pinesol trick another time.

• 3 weeks later...

OK. I have been crazy with "life" stuff (AKA things around the house I have ignored and that whole thing that pays the bills.... work) and I have not had a chance to do very much until this weekend. I have also been working on the track VFR to get that ready for my first track day in May.

I did manage to mount the carbs, change spark plugs and go over the wire harness one more time, install the new battery and some other little stuff.

I was hoping to try and fire this thing up this weekend but apparently my son likes to "help" by adjusting the nuts on the end of the throttle linkage. Which I removed in order to clean after I mounted the carbs. Hey, he is 8 and he can not help himself, I am OK with that, its my tools that migrate to "his" tool box that bothers me. Life without an 8mm wrench while working on a Japanese motorcycle is a bear!!!!

So, mounting the carbs took a whole 15 minutes but adjusting the cables took a lot longer then it should have. I have done this lots of times before and I am not sure if I was just being overly AR but it took me a while to adjust the throttle play to my satisfaction (and safety) and I missed my window to start this thing up. Now on to getting it running and syncing the carbs.

Once running, I have new tires to mount and then more detailing and it should be ready to go.

On another note, the original carbs have actually loosened up enough that everything is moving freely and they look great. So whatever the carb cleaning stuff was works great. I need to ask what the name of it was.

Pics soon.

• 3 weeks later...

So, skiing this spring has been crazy great so my free time has been on the slopes.

I had some time today to work on the 1992 and.... IT LIVES!

Still need to synchronize the carbs but it fired right up!

post-11427-0-31609800-1365382242.jpg

post-11427-0-89840800-1365382325.jpg

Cool. I bet in it's little motorcycle soul, it was damn glad to start up after all those years of neglect.

Just think when it gets out on the road again. :beer:

Cool. I bet in it's little motorcycle soul, it was damn glad to start up after all those years of neglect.

Just think when it gets out on the road again. :beer:

VFR4Lee today's mile stone was great but the list of items I now need to complete before take it out on the road just got prioritized... Took me only 45 minutes to mount the carbs and get it running... It took me 3 hours to get the throttle cable just right, why do I do this to myself. LOL, I know why.

The good news, I am revitalized to get the list completed and get out there for a few miles.

Why diy? Shop charges $80 per hour for labor. :goofy:

You're almost there. Cue Willie Nelson. :beer:

Hey viffer, did you remove any of the rubber bits from the cruddy carbs before soaking? I cringed a little at the thought of those expensive diaphragms soaking in the cleaner...

Looks like Berryman's carb dip solution?

The carbs on the bike not the ones soaking. Everything on the carbs soaking was glued together by mouse urine and corrosion. The plastic/rubber bits had to soak or they would not come out without tearing. The stuff I am using is designed for this.

If you sleep better Seb, the carbs soaking have long since had the plastic and rubber bits removed.

• Member Contributer

Hard to look at the pics of the project bike...I keep staring at the twin exhaust poking out of the track bike. :fing02:

If you sleep better Seb, the carbs soaking have long since had the plastic and rubber bits removed.

I think that came off much harsher than I meant it to, sorry. I was more curious to know if the rubber was salvageable, or ruined by the cleaner.

Hard to look at the pics of the project bike...I keep staring at the twin exhaust poking out of the track bike. :fing02:

Pretty sweet! :fing02:

I think that came off much harsher than I meant it to, sorry. I was more curious to know if the rubber was salvageable, or ruined by the cleaner.

Seb, No offense was taken.

I can not describe how f'd the carbs were when I pulled them off. I honestly was going to pull the original carbs apart and store them in nice little bags until I needed parts. The problem, every part was stuck together like someone literally glued all the parts together.

In talking with a friend who restores classic cars he gave me the stuff that would allow me to save the rubber and plastic parts before I really put the toxic cleaner to them. It worked great and If I can get him to tell me what it is I will let you know.

My goals were simple today. Set the carb floats to the correct setting and then sync the carbs. Easy. Well once I pulled the carbs again to set the float levels, remounted the carbs, things started to come together. I still have more adjustments to do, it needs to be running a lot smoother before I sync the carbs but we are well on our way. Don't be fooled by my agressive throttle hand, she idles pretty smooth and does not surge. More float adjustments to go.

I finally was able to run the motor enough heat into the motor to start on the fluid changes, lots of oil changes and distilled water flushes as I work through the carbs to go. The "oil" resembled water, I have since drained the junk and replaced with fresh oil

Enjoy...

OK, so my OCPD would not let me just move on. I pulled the carbs one more time today did a little (and I mean very very little) adjustment on the float height on two of the carbs and life is good once again. I was also happy to hear the cooling fan kick on at the right temp.

There are lots of questions about carbs but really it is all about taking you time and not being afraid to pull the carbs, do some tweaking and remount. it is a tedious process sometimes but it feels great to get things done properly. Honestly, it only took me about 30 minutes to adjust all of this today... That work thing gets in the way.

I am sure you can hear the difference between yesterday and today.

Sounds good. A bit top fuel dragsterish at first in the second video. You know, rough.

Gave it a little gas and it smoothed out pretty good. Bikes needs to run. :beer:

Sounds good. A bit top fuel dragsterish at first in the second video. You know, rough.

Gave it a little gas and it smoothed out pretty good. Bikes needs to run. :beer:

This poor VFR was neglected for 11 years an you are so correct, bikes need to be run. We are making progress, give me some time to sync the carbs and it should be very very smooth.

Well just finished the carb sync and on to the rest of the items on the "ta-do" list. Now that I know it runs and runs smooth. I will focus on some other items mostly "little' things,

-New tires

-New Chain

-coolant flush

-A few more oil changes

-Finish rebuilding calipers

-Clutch

-A whole lot of scrubbing, washing and waxing

- suspension

And most important, A little damage control with the wife who is unhappy I decided to do this tonight. I think that is why she is calling this bike....

"V4PLY"

I did something similar the two years ago. I got a 82 Honda 750 Nighthawk having 24,000 miles. It was stored for over 15 years in a Southern California garage, and the bike had been covered up. I had a major battle with serve carb crab. I had the carbs on and off maybe 8 times. I also cleaned, and coated my fuel tank, but due to a few issues such as, tires, chain, among other things, I sold my bike. I had no more than $600.00 invested including my original purchase amount. I managed to get $1700.00 for my Nighthawk. My black Nighthawk Special- looked fantastic, ran well, but it could never equal the likes of a VFR. That's why I flipped my Nighthawk, so I could purchase my first 95 VFR.

Did you have any difficulties in balancing your carbs, and did you replace any fuel lines?

I'm looking forward to hearing your final report with photos once your project bike has been fully completed.

Resin, on 18 Apr 2013 - 7:57 PM, said:

Did you have any difficulties in balancing your carbs, and did you replace any fuel lines?

I'm looking forward to hearing your final report with photos once your project bike has been fully completed.

Yes, I have replaced all the fuel lines, fuel filter. This was just a matter of piece of mind, the old ones looked fine.

The worst part has been getting the jets, floats, main jets filters cleaned and then setting the float heights. The carbs I used were clean but need some TLC and a few new parts to be 100% right.

Just making sure the two screws on the base of the #1 & #4 carbs get removed without stripping them makes me nervous. This is where a magnet attached to the screw driver to keep the screw from falling into the motor comes in handy as well.

The biggest difficulty I have is getting the "feel" of the adjustment tool just right so I know when it is in the slot ready for me to turn. I do not exactly have the hands of a jeweler, It just takes a little practice. Then it is adjust carb, give a little throttle, watch the meter, adjust, throttle,meter, adjust, throttle, meter. etc etc etc.

It is a learning process but anyone could do it. A few suggestions

• Giving to much throttle and sucking the mercury out of the Sync tool is a bad thing. (Never done this but came close once)
  • Turning the sync screws so far out they fall out of the carb is a bad thing (done that)
  • Adjusting the carbs with the carb boots not properly tightened is a bad thing (Yup, done that to)
  • Not waiting until the engine is warm enough before starting to sync, is very frustrating
  • Going to quickly and thinking you are adjusting the #1 carb and screwing up the #4 carb that was perfect (done this)
There really is no black magic to carb balancing it really is just a matter of taking your time. It is very rewarding when completed and the bike idles so smoothly.

Archived