That 5Th Gen Turn Signal Delay

emoyer

• Member Contributer

hi, new VFR owner here...

first off -- I LOVE THIS BIKE!! love it more every time i ride it.

i knew when i bought it that there was an issue with the turn signals (a varying delay between hitting the switch and the blinker flashing) and as i researched it i found others with the problem, and with similar observations -- worse as weather gets colder, right one worse than left one, etc.

but the only solutions i found were some folks saying that cleaning the switch helped, at least for a while. i dont have the courage yet to rip apart my nice new ride, but i have been learning to cope with it, and also noticed that, in a given ride, as the bike warms up and the signals get used more, the problem abates somewhat.

so the last couple times i left for work i exercised the signals in the driveway a couple times, and it seemed to help. but this morning i did this before i had my helmet on and i could hear the flasher unit clicking rapidly and erratically before the blinker started working.

when this has happened in my cars i would fix it by replacing the flasher. but in my research about this, i dont think anyone mentioned trying it. so would this be a possible soultion in the VFR?

thanks.

• Member Contributer

I've never heard of that. Oh yeah, now I remember...

Maybe your relay is going bad? Mine was replaced a couple years ago to allow the LED lighting I added to retain the stock flash rate. Otherwise it would blink twice as fast as normal. That's the normal relay's way of telling you that a signal bulb is burned out, and the LED lights don't draw enough power to allow the normal rate.

I'd start with the switch pod itself. It's easy to take apart and clean out. Probably use electronics spray cleaner, as it shouldn't harm the plastic. Brake cleaner could. Make sure all your bulbs are good, and the connections are tight. If you're still having issues, try a new relay. I'm sure you can find one at your local parts store, as opposed to buying the Honda OEM.

I've had the delay problem.....actually still do. I tried cleaning the switch last winter without much improvement. I've never heard the relay click rapidly though. Of course I always have ear plugs in.

I have thought about doing the flasher, but if you look at the schematic the same flasher does both left and right turn signals. If it was the flasher, wouldn't the left turn signal have an issue when cold too?

I noticed something a few weeks ago while riding in the cold at night. When I flipped to high beams, I lost all my headlights. If I rode in the dark, they would come on. Or if I cycled the switch back to low beams, then went to high beams again, they would come on. After they had come on, I could switch back and forth without any issues.

So to the point. I think both relays are behind the dash in the front of the bike. I wonder if the cold air (especially the windchill while riding) causes them not to work until they warm up a little. The next time I have the front fairing off, I think I am going to try insulating them somehow and see if it helps.

• Member Contributer
I've had the delay problem.....actually still do. I tried cleaning the switch last winter without much improvement. I've never heard the relay click rapidly though. Of course I always have ear plugs in.

I have thought about doing the flasher, but if you look at the schematic the same flasher does both left and right turn signals. If it was the flasher, wouldn't the left turn signal have an issue when cold too?

I noticed something a few weeks ago while riding in the cold at night. When I flipped to high beams, I lost all my headlights. If I rode in the dark, they would come on. Or if I cycled the switch back to low beams, then went to high beams again, they would come on. After they had come on, I could switch back and forth without any issues.

So to the point. I think both relays are behind the dash in the front of the bike. I wonder if the cold air (especially the windchill while riding) causes them not to work until they warm up a little. The next time I have the front fairing off, I think I am going to try insulating them somehow and see if it helps.

Oh yeah, now I remember that you mentioned that before. Still no answer for ya. I don't have the stock relay anymore, so maybe there is something there.

CornerCarver's high beams started doing that recently, too. Replaced the bulbs, and still doing it. He was afraid the R/R was causing that. I'm not convinced it is...

Weather wasn't especially cold. I have ridden the VFR in the dark in chilly weather recently and could switch between high and low beams no problem. I do have one high beam out, though.

Carver has Silverstars, I don't. But I do in the ST1300, and have no trouble there.

• Member Contributer

both sides do have the delay, but the right side is worse. sounds odd, i know, but if i remember right from my reseach, others have seen the same thing.

i have also noticed that sometimes if, after waiting a few seconds and the blinkers isnt flashing yet, turning it off and back on will help, either making it come on right away, or after a couple seconds.

and on the left one i often get one quick flash when i hit the button, and then regular blinking after the delay.

not sure what any of that means. if anything

• Member Contributer

I can't say I've ever heard of this, either. The turn signal switch is extremely simple to open up and clean. I'd start there. You should use an electronics cleaner and, once clean and dry, apply dielectric (silicone) grease to replace what you remove when you clean with a solvent.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Don't know if this helps, but I experienced the headlight thing, and random turn signal response until I opened the switch unit on the bar. The solder did not look like it was touching, nothing appeared to be wrong, but re-soldering the connections made the problems go away.

Cheers!

Merry Christmas!

It seems if I push and hold the switch until the light comes on, it helps some too. Maybe it is just my imagination though.

A couple of other threads on the same issue.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/63293-no-blinky-blinky/?hl=%2Bturn+%2Bsignal#entry741314

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/59197-turn-signal-delay/?hl=%2Bturn+%2Bsignal

CornerCarver's high beams started doing that recently, too. Replaced the bulbs, and still doing it. He was afraid the R/R was causing that. I'm not convinced it is...

Weather wasn't especially cold. I have ridden the VFR in the dark in chilly weather recently and could switch between high and low beams no problem. I do have one high beam out, though.

Carver has Silverstars, I don't. But I do in the ST1300, and have no trouble there.

I have a volt meter on mine and haven't noticed anything funny with it, so I don't think it is a R/R issue.

My issues seem to happen at anything less than about 50 degrees and gets worse as it gets colder.

I ran Silverstars for about 3 years and got tired of spending the money to replace them every year. I know I tried a set of PIAA's, but can't remember if those are still in the bike or I changed them out for the standard Wal-Mart H4's. It has been a couple of years now, so I am thinking they are H4's.

• Member Contributer

I had this same problem. That is only starts blinking after a while.

In my case the contacts of the blinker-switch where dirty.

I cleaned them with cerosine and after they work like normal.

Did you check the condition of the solders when you cleaned it?

I pulled it completely apart, cleaned everything, and put a little dielectric grease on it when I put it back together. I looked at the wires and connections breifly while it was apart, but did not study them looking for a bad solder joint.

• Member Contributer

ok, it sounds like cleaning the switch is at least worth a try. it has helped some people and it seems easier than getting behind the dashboard.

the thing i still dont understand is that if it is a problem with the switch making contact, then why would the flasher be clicking? maybe it is just a partial contact and only a little current is getting thru?

i have noticed that when using the signal again right after cancelling it (either side) it usually comes on immediately, which maybe could point to sticky grease or something in the switch.

i hope i will be able to work on it next week when i have off work.

thanks.

• Member Contributer

The turn relay on these bikes is not the old mechanical type, it's a solid state unit. However it needs a good strong +12 volt input signal otherwise it can be slow to kick in. As has been suggested already, you need to clean all contacts but this should include the contacts at the relay itself.

They also make no clicking noise, so don't go looking for a sound that isn't there.

bzzzt. the old relay on my '99 clicked, right up until it stopped working.

The new one has the cleanest contacts possible, batt is fine and healthy > 12v and the relay still takes time to allow the indicators to blink unless it is +10deg celcius. But it never clicks.

• Member Contributer
I'm putting money on the relay being the culprit.

Mine went bad, and the non-oem replacement only works properly once it warms up !

That was my thought in my case too, it didn't help.

Trust me, a bad contact in the switch is causing this weird behaviour.

If you listen at the relay it goes like: klik-klik-klik-klik-----pause klik----pause klik----pause klik...like normal....

After cleaning the turnswitch it's over and kliks normal.

Also, cleaning the switch contacts costs nothing and it won't hurt :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer
I'm putting money on the relay being the culprit.

Mine went bad, and the non-oem replacement only works properly once it warms up !

That was my thought in my case too, it didn't help.

Trust me, a bad contact in the switch is causing this weird behaviour.

If you listen at the relay it goes like: klik-klik-klik-klik-----pause klik----pause klik----pause klik...like normal....

After cleaning the turnswitch it's over and kliks normal.

Also, cleaning the switch contacts costs nothing and it won't hurt :laughing6-hehe:

ditto :beatdeadhorse: Let us know how you make out.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

This just occurred with my 2001. I cleaned the switchgear thoroughly and lubricated the parts with a teflon dry film lubricant. The switch operated smoothly with a nice "snick" when activating. After this I noticed my driver's right side running light went out after testing the now instantly working signals. I replaced the "faulty" bulb and it worked again.... for five minutes. I checked voltage at the turn signal plug and found there was no voltage to the center wire.

I decided to work my way down from switchgear to turn signal to find the problem. I re-cleaned the switch and this time packed it full..FULL of dielectric grease (using a syringe and large bore needle) and worked it in for about five minutes. Operation smoothed out even more, now there is more of a "shiick" during activation. The running lights and turn signals now work perfectly (knock on wood).

I went through all the lights and sockets and assembly holes and applied thin coats of this wondrous dielectric grease. Now the bulbs remove easier from the plugs, the plugs remove easily from the sockets, and the sockets remove easily from the light assemblies.

SO... cleaning and relubricating worked for me...

Archived