Heated gear Watts capacity for vfr

ninjadoc

just ordered powerlet heated gear, Watt capacity is 110 it seems Plus a 18W glove liner as well. Will my 2008 VFr be able to handle this requirement? sorry if a dumb question, i am ultra noob at this.

Not dumb at all actually! The VFR does NOT have much extra capacity, somewhere around 200 watts. So if your running the Hi-beams there's only 100w left.

Trick is to NOT use Hi beams when running any heated gear!

BR

• Member Contributer

I would venture to say that you may blow a fuse if you've wired it up using one, but if there's no fuse, I'm not sure what might happen. High beam fuse may blow?? Or maybe the main fuse by the battery?? More knowledgeable people will chime in.

C

thx BR, will be careful not to switch it on. But if i do by mistake will it blow up anything?

Nothing will blow, but continuous use could overheat wires and plugs and could cause premature RR and or Stater failure.

BR

• Member Contributer

I have been wondering the same thing myself, especially as fall approaches. Thanks for asking this question and thanks to the experts for the answer!

For those thinking of purchasing heated gear you might want to look at Tourmaster Synergy. Their full jacket liner with sleeves only draws around 60 watts and will supply more heat than you will ever need. I can't understand why Powerlet draws 110 watts, that's huge.

• Member Contributer

Had a bit of a dig for capacities on another forum, came up with the following:

A bit of a dig finds the 800 has 500w (41.66A) available...

105w for the jacket, ~30w for grips, !15w for other accessories... (sound reasonable...???)

so 150w divide by 12 = 12.5A

Bike on it's own (excluding high beam, based on powerlet averages) consumes 333w divide by 12 = 27.75A

Total 483w (40.25A)

The following was also presented, added for your consideration:

Beauty of VFR electrics is it runs a shunt reg. This means that the "alternator" is always running flat out. The R/R wastes excess power in the form of heat. i.e. the more power you draw with grip heaters etc actually lightens the load on the R/R.

So how much is too much ? Keep loading up with accessories until the volts drops below about 13.5 at about 2ooo revs. Higher revs, volts should go up to about 14.3 or so. go to idle and volts will drop. With a completely stock bike, you will maintain 14.3V at idle.

The measure of overload is if the battery goes flat when engine running. So don't be afraid to run lights, heaters, jackets etc. Will only be a problem if you spend a lot of time idling with all load running.

• Member Contributer

Been running Gerbings liner + gloves on the 5th gen for a couple winters with no problems. Seen ambient temps as low as 27° on the way to work.

For those thinking of purchasing heated gear you might want to look at Tourmaster Synergy. Their full jacket liner with sleeves only draws around 60 watts and will supply more heat than you will ever need. I can't understand why Powerlet draws 110 watts, that's huge.

Their full jacket liner pulls 90 watts, it would totally suck if it only drawed 60 watts. Their vest only draws around 60 watts. You want big wattage in heated gear , thats where the NICE heat comes from, and the synergy is known to be one of the hottest vests on the market.

Their full jacket liner pulls 90 watts, it would totally suck if it only drawed 60 watts. Their vest only draws around 60 watts. You want big wattage in heated gear , thats where the NICE heat comes from, and the synergy is known to be one of the hottest vests on the market.

The PDF document on their site says jacket liner 64.8 watts, vest with collar 51.6

http://www.tourmaste...ngtag_sy2vc.pdf

Non PDF link

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/pages.php?pagenm=feat_tourmaster_synergy

These numbers are for the Synergy 2.0 line

60 watts is more then enough if you use layers properly. Hell, I've ridden in 30F temps @ freeway speeds for hours with nothing more then layers before I got electrics and was fine. I looked like the Michelin man and would start to sweat like a pig the moment I stepped indoors at a rest stop, but the cold never got to me.

• Member Contributer

I use the Gerbings jacket liner (the newer one with microwire tech). I also have their G3 gloves. Important to note that all heated gear works best with an insulating layer OVER it...one fleece layer works nicely and is moisture wicking. A long sleeve underarmour (I use cheaper alternatives) polyester shirt keeps the heat from being too intense on your skin.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The PDF document on their site says jacket liner 64.8 watts, vest with collar 51.6

http://www.tourmaste...ngtag_sy2vc.pdf

Non PDF link

http://www.tourmaste...rmaster_synergy

These numbers are for the Synergy 2.0 line

Okay I stand corrected, my memory several years ago thought it was near 90 watts, guess not. I have the vest, used it for years , Have been wanting to get the full jacket liner for those really cold days. I find the vest very versitile, cause you can use both in warm and colder temps, as the vest even without power provides core protection and you can dress lighter in the sleeve area as a result.

60 watts is more then enough if you use layers properly. Hell, I've ridden in 30F temps @ freeway speeds for hours with nothing more then layers before I got electrics and was fine. I looked like the Michelin man and would start to sweat like a pig the moment I stepped indoors at a rest stop, but the cold never got to me.

The older I get the Less I like pola bear situations, nothing like being 150 mile out from home and having Hypothermia set in, makes it aganising on the way home. Since Ive had the vest those days are long gone. Thats one thing good about the vest, you dont have to beef up so much like the michelin man, but I do want the full liner for those sub 45 degree days.

I use the Gerbings jacket liner (the newer one with microwire tech). I also have their G3 gloves. Important to note that all heated gear works best with an insulating layer OVER it...one fleece layer works nicely and is moisture wicking. A long sleeve underarmour (I use cheaper alternatives) polyester shirt keeps the heat from being too intense on your skin.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thats true my winter gear is basically rain gear, thats all you need with electrics.

wah, lots of info ty very much everyone.

true very good jacket with reviews. the onloy reason i went with the costly powelet one is because they have heated glove liner insted of gloves. So i can still use my own winter gloves on top. when i called then they were not sure if the synergy TM jacket would work with the powerlet gloves,

• Member Contributer

I have run a full jacket Gerbings liner and their G3 gloves with no problem on my 5th gen VFR. I have a voltmeter on my bike and have noticed no problems when riding in traffic.

Heated gear is fantastic. It beats multiple layers by a mile. I don't see why anyone would ride in cold weather without it. It will be the best money you ever spent and it will extend your riding season by months.Plus, the look on cagers when you are out in cold weather is priceless!

• Member Contributer

Been running Gerbings liner + gloves on the 5th gen for a couple winters with no problems. Seen ambient temps as low as 27° on the way to work.

+ 1

Gerbings is the best of them all, 224 miles yesteday in the high 40's, Gerbings controllor at about 50%, would not be Viffering this time of year without heat.

I have run a full jacket Gerbings liner and their G3 gloves with no problem on my 5th gen VFR. I have a voltmeter on my bike and have noticed no problems when riding in traffic.

Heated gear is fantastic. It beats multiple layers by a mile. I don't see why anyone would ride in cold weather without it. It will be the best money you ever spent and it will extend your riding season by months.Plus, the look on cagers when you are out in cold weather is priceless!

Yes, Ive often refered to heated gear, AS the Best RIDING Friend you'll ever have.

Archived