Best Choice for Breathable and Comfortable Gear?

Q-Dawg

• Member Contributer

OK, so I am finally looking to replace my JR jacket (leather reinforced textile) and my Spyke riding pants as they are several years old and do not feel very comfortable in hotter weather riding. I still have no complaints of the performance in cooler weather / rain, but I have reached my limit suffering days at a time on long trips in the heat.

I also low-sided once in this gear and it held up very well. I was doing about 50MPH at the time and you can barely tell it saw pavement. Yet another reason to upgrade it.

I want new jacket and pants, perhaps even consider something comfier for boots (like my SIDI vertebrae but they are noisy and uncomfortable to walk in)

I like 2 piece gear because I can remove my jacket easily at rest stop to avoid getting too hot.

Here are some of my needs / desires:

-STAY COOL! (I can always layer up or add more heated clothing if required in cooler weather. My biggest challenge is staying cool, not warm.)

-removable panels for ventalation

-pocket(s) in pants so i can carry wallet, keys, etc easily when I stop

-I do not care too much about waterproof properties as I have good rain gear and will use it if required.

-Pant material that will allow shorts underneath? Current pants have water resistant properties, are hot, and sort of rubbery feeling inside. I almost always wear pants, or long shorts to avoid unpleasant sweatiness with no place for the moisture to go.

-I don't like leathers much. Have owned some in past and prefer textile. I don't mind leather reinforcement in places like my current gear offers.

-High visibility properties are a bonus, but not a deal breaker by any means. Would like cooler colors than black and blue to wear, but I find white is very hard to keep looking good so I wish to avoid it.

I've read a bit about some of these "new" kevlar jeans and such. How good are they? If they can still hold up comparably to textiles in a crash I would consider them for comfort, but not willing to sacrifice too much in terms of protection. I would want reinforced knees with armor at a minimum, should I decide to get some. I've also heard good things about Joe Rocket Alter Ego riding gear with removable panels. I plan on trying some on very soon, but want some other ideas for shopping. I am not brand loyal.

Can anyone offer suggestions for gear that meets most of these goals? Money is always a consideration, but I will pay what is necessary to be well protected and comfortable. I also wish to be able to try things on before I buy, so the more commonplace the better as brand selection and model stock might be limited here in Canada.

• Member Contributer

I do mostly long distance trips with the bike and am a more conservative rider who doesn't race. Would like to get something new before trip down to Sum Sum 2, but time is starting to run out and I need to get my act together soon or I will be suffering with hot gear in the warm weather again.

I swear by the Cortech GX Air jacket. I've had all 3 generations, currently a black gen 3. They don't make them anymore, but you can still find them online for very cheap. Leather reinforced elbows, shoulders and back, with CE armor. They make yellow if you want visibility. I think Motorcycle Superstore still has the yellow for about $120. Tourmaster still makes the Intake jacket (my wife loves hers), which is the same but with higher denier reinforcement instead of leather. I normally ride in Tourmaster Intake mesh pants, which are a nice balance between cool and protective. All come with rain liners and insulated liners, I think it's a steal. My 2 cents.

• Member Contributer

Horse, I have seen mesh melt after sliding down the pavement for a relatively short distance. the resultant burns to the skin and removal of melted nylon were worse that the fall.

Dawg, you may want to visit some stocking locations and try on newer perforated leather gear that wont leave your funk and junk in the weird liner that you describe as "rubbery" above.

If you are hellbent on just buying something first and trying it on later www.motorcyclegear.com has some great deals on the jacket mentioned above by Fairleigh.

"Leather Jackets for Summer!

Today I'm featuring some leather jacket closeouts that are fully (or partially) perforated so that a great deal of air flows through for summer time use. Many people swear by leather and refuse to wear anything with less protection, and of course style is important too.

I've marked down the Joe Rocket Blaster and GX Air jackets for final closeout. The other jackets are re-mentions because they fit today's theme and should be considered also if you are serious about buying a summer leather jacket."

Great timing to be looking for summer gear at friend of VFRD motorcyclegear.com

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of kevlar reinforced demin pants. I don't think they are what your looking for. I find them good for the commute to work as they are something I can wear through out the day. I'm not sure they breath any better than mesh pants, and the protection probably isn't at good.

* I have very limited "abrasion testing" experience, and zero with the items mentioned above. What little I do have was a pair of Wranglers I tested 17 years ago in a 70mph low side. I suffered a couple of heat burns, but that is it. I do not believe these results are typical. If you are considering abrasion testing, please consult your physician.

• Member Contributer

This has been brought up several times before in my short tenure here...but always a good subject. I have looked at the kevlar gear from Motoport (Cycleport), and am intrigued to know if if is comfortable with all that clingy-looking armor they put in it. Not to mention it's too damn ugly to put my dog in (if I had one)...

In the 90's and 100's with humidity here in Oklahoma I turn the protection down and end up forsaking my leather gear for textile/mesh or leather/mesh with a soaked evaporative cooling vest underneath. I'm much more confident in leather, but my RevIt Ignition Jacket and Gear pants are a good compromise with leather in all impact zones and mesh in between.

Horse, I have seen mesh melt after sliding down the pavement for a relatively short distance. the resultant burns to the skin and removal of melted nylon were worse that the fall.

Great timing to be looking for summer gear at friend of VFRD motorcyclegear.com

Me too, I am really love leather gear for riding out. If out of city of course leather jacket and pants are my choice.

However, as you said, the mesh melting would be very bad.

I always wear a long sleeve underwear shirt. That will help to mitigate the above issue and also make me feel easier when donning and taking off.

I'm a huge fan of perforated leather, I used to have a fully perforated fieldsheer radar suit, it was awesome as long as you were moving. My Joe rocket speedmaster perforated pants were the same.

And as stated about http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ has the perforated Joe rocket blaster jacket on sale for $128 in the larger sizes, I just ordered one for myself to replace my Joe Rocket speedmaster jacket for the summer months.

For me, armor is the key, no matter what the outer material.

I wear a perforated Johnson Leathers jacket, with integrated T-Pro armor, year round. It fits snug, that armor does not move (forearms, wrap around shoulders, back). In winter (albeit SF Bay Area mild, the fog line is cold enough) I wear an additionally armored Firstgear parka-style *over* the leather. Works great, and if the day warms up I simply take off the outer parka and roll it up and bungee it to the pillion.

Pants wise I wear full leather...unless it is *smokin'* hot and I get into my *very* comfortable Scorpion textile pants. But under *either* leather or textiles, I wear T-Pro armored pants (thighs, butt and tailbone) and knee/shin guards.

• Member Contributer

Since I tolerate the heat betterthan a lot of people, my gear selection may not work for everyone.

6'-2", 185 lb so I don't have a lot of natural insulation to make me warm. Good in the summer, requires more layers in cold weather.

None of this has been crash tested other than a parking lot drop. :blush:

Sliders Kevlar Jeans over strap-on knee/shin armor is my choice for my lower extremities.

I never felt the armor in any of my pants would stay in place which is why I use the strap-on armor.

I have been very happy with the Sliders. They are not cool, but tolerable. Not much warmer than regular jeans when moving.

Jackets are the main thing I change to fit the weather. All of them have CE approved armor and various types of abrasion resistant panels.

65* to 85*, a textile jacket with vents, armor and a water resistant membrane on days when I think it might rain. T shirt or long sleeved shirt depending on expected temperature.

65* to 85* when no rain is expected, a perforated leather jacket with armor works fine. I just don't like to get the weather wet. Same T shirt or long sleeved shirt depending on expected temperature.

85*+, a mesh jacket with armor over a T shirt has worked for me in 100* weather. (This past week in fact)

Light weight socks and Icon Super Duty 2 or Super Duty 3 boots. I have both and slighly prefer the SD 3 because of having a less pronounced heel.

Any/all of this is hot when stopped. Keep moving or shed the jacket if you are going to be stopped for any time.

I rarely ride city streets and have no idea how you could be comfortable at 35 mph.

Even the 100* air helps when you are moving at 50 to 80 mph.

Addendum: While I wear mostly textiles, I don't think anything protects you like leather.

• Member Contributer

I don't like leather so I just got some Kevlar jeans from

http://www.motoport.com/

They claim they are 10 times stronger than leather. I really love them. At $350 they are expensive but I think worth the money.

The material is a very coarse weave which mean it lets a lot of air through so they are cool. I wear a liner when it is cold. They have great armor integrated into them. I've ridden in some bad rain at TMAC and did not get wet through them.

They are so convinced of their strength the will fix them for free or replace after a crash.

I highly recommend

• Member Contributer

After surviving a pretty serious crash while at T-mac, I have to comment on the armor in the Aerostich Transit Suit. It came with TF5 armor in all the important areas: elbows, knees, hips, sholders and back.

I walked away with virtually no injuries under the suit. I did sprain a couple of fingers. My knee, sholder, forearm, and elbow all received significant hits. The leather was significantly scrubbed by the impact and slide. I had absolutely no injuries to the areas under the TF5 armor (or under the suit). My escape I attribute totally to the integrity of the suit.

TF Armor really rocks! No serious rider should be without it.

Archived