80 miles on a full tank?

Guest nevermind

• Member Contributer

BTW how many gallons does the tank hold because the light goes on and i put in 3.2 to 3.4 gallons.

19.00 litres (5.02 gallons)

well.. i fill it up then i go till the light comes on. then it takes about 3.5 gal and trip meter says about 87 average. im not nice to her... but im not bouncing it off the rev limit either. thats how i measure 87 devided by 3.4 equals 25.5... my elcamino gets 24 on highway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf

• Member Contributer

Here's my guess: carb bowl plugs aren't tightened all the way, causing gas to constantly leak

he said no gas smell..

however.. a quick test.. ride your bike for a few min... the feel the bottom of the carbs..are they wet? even a little?

• Member Contributer

Be happy you only pay some 3-4 bucks a gallon...

;-)

Sorry, just saw this thread. Nevermind, this was what was happening to me last season. I would only get about 100 miles and then the fuel light would come on. I figured I was getting about 28 mpg last season. I also had a problem with my temperature gauge to the point that it wasn't reading correctly. The fan was comming on and keeping things cool, it just wouldn't read right. This season, I removed the carbs and all the rubber and did the pine sol soak. I also went with smaller jets. Books say I'm supposed to have 130 main's with 38 slow. This season I basically made it a 94 California model with 125/128 but still kept the 38s. The only mods I have are a K&N air filter and a Yoshi slip on. After I cleaned the carbs I spent hours getting the carbs sync'd to within a gnats ass of each other. I rode the other day and the fuel light came on at 170 miles. I filled up at 180 miles and only put in 3.92 gallons. I worked the numbers and that's 45.9 mpg. The only other thing I did was replace the temperature sensor for the cooling system gauge. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Adam

Nevermind, the R/R is your regulator and rectifier. It is a switch under the seat on the right side of the bike. You'll need to remove the large Allen bolt on the rear right fairing to see it. They are notoriously hot so they burn out routinely and replacement parts are available from Honda but several people have gone to the Yamaha R/R as they run cooler.

• Member Contributer

What did the shop that worked on your bike say? If you paid them a bunch of money to get your bike running properly, they haven't finished the job, have they?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Still no pictures of the plugs. I will buy it, how much you want?

I get about 150 miles per tank, but I also have a high flow air filter, a Stage 1 jet kit installed, and a racing exhaust on my VFR. I'm also not very gentle with her at all, when I did the track day at Spa-Francorchamps in April, I was constantly bouncing off the rev limiter in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears.

I don't really care about mileage too much though, for me, it's about enjoying the ride. Although stopping for gas every 80 miles would get old really quick.

You might also want to check the condition of your chain for frozen/dead links, wheel bearings and brake rotors, as increased drag in these components can make the engine work harder.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived