3rd and 4th gen rear wheel + swingarm technical issue

• Member Contributer

Here is the following claim from an eBay seller about the rear wheel and swingarm on the 1994 VFR750. I have never heard of this before.

"Honda released (2) model VFR's for 1994. First half of 1994, the 1990-93/94 was the same 8-spoke 5.5 rear wheel and dual D-Ring Rear Shock Mounting Brackets. The 2nd half of 1994 was the 94/95-97 VFR750 with the Star Fish Rounded 5-Spoke 5.0 Rear Wheel with a 170/60-17 rear tire.

Honda's VFR history site in the UK actually documents this from 1990 Through 1997. The explanation on the site is that Honda was running late on the release of the *Revamped & New Style VFR750" for 1995.

But Honda released the 1995 as the 1994 in the 2nd half of the year, which was July and August of 1994. That's why there is confusion. Certain parts of the UK, Canada and the US got these two different model VFR750's for 1994.

On RR-Zone a guy did a custom CBR900RR with the VFR800 swingarm after he did it with the 94 VFR750 swingarm and found out from a 1994 that there are 2 different model 1994 VFR750 swingarms. The one he had was with the Dual D-Rings for the rear shock mounting bracket ~ and the VIN from that frame was a 1994!

There was also a 94 VFR750 here in March with the 8-Spoke Rear Wheel and Dual D-Ring Swing Arm. I contacted the seller and he was clear that this was a 1st year production '94 with the 90-93 VFR750 8-Spoke Wheel and swingarm, bought new from the dealer in Ohio in February 1994."

I think this person is confused, because he also references some odd information like putting VFR750 and VFR800 single-sided swingarms on the same CBR900RR even though there are drastic differences between these two swingarms, with the first two being designed to mount to the frame and the second two being designed to mount to the engine cases....but maybe it's just me :ph34r:

As far as I know, 4th gen VFRs (1994-1997) never had anything different on them than the five spoked wheels you see on all of them. The 4 lug nutted 8 spoked rear wheel was not used on the VFRs after the 3rd gen bikes. I'm sure of that as Honda made a big deal about their weight reduction program they implemented when designing the 4th gen and a good portion of the weight came off the swing arm and wheel with the new 4th gen items.

If you see an 8 spoker wheel on a 4th gen, it is not original to the bike and is a just a mod by the owner.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

"The 2nd half of 1994 was the 94/95-97 VFR750 with the Star Fish Rounded 5-Spoke 5.0 Rear Wheel with a 170/60-17 rear tire."

I'm not sure why he specifies the 170/60-17 on the 5 spoke - that is what I am running stock on '91 8 spoker. It sounds like your right, ST.

• Member Contributer

Ship your excess 8 spoker to me...................... :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

Apparently, the 8 spoke wheel is slightly lighter than the 5 spoke.

But sounds like the guy doesn't have a clue what he's on about. Unless there were a few 3rd gen models that carried over a year or something like that.

"The 2nd half of 1994 was the 94/95-97 VFR750 with the Star Fish Rounded 5-Spoke 5.0 Rear Wheel with a 170/60-17 rear tire."

I'm not sure why he specifies the 170/60-17 on the 5 spoke - that is what I am running stock on '91 8 spoker. It sounds like your right, ST.

170 width was standard on the 4th gen and its 5" wide wheel cannot accomodate anything wider than the 170's without any negative effect to the tire's profile and handling. (I used a wider tire on my 4th gen in the past and I know.) The 3rd gens might have come from the factory with 170's too, but their 5.5 inch wide wheels can go to 180's with no problem fit-wise except maybe a slight slowing effect to handling/transition response.

$th gen 5 spoke rear wheel is lighter compared to the 3rd, 5th and 6th gen wheel, mostly because it is narrower. Spoke design might have some contribution, but I suspect it's minimal.

Beck

95 VFR

Honda's VFR history site in the UK actually documents this from 1990 Through 1997. The explanation on the site is that Honda was running late on the release of the *Revamped & New Style VFR750" for 1995.

But Honda released the 1995 as the 1994 in the 2nd half of the year, which was July and August of 1994. That's why there is confusion. Certain parts of the UK, Canada and the US got these two different model VFR750's for 1994.

If the bike wasn't ready untill the second half of 1994, then how come the non english speaking countries did get the non hybrid 4th gen right from the start? :biggrin:

It would require ia different shock too as neither the 3rd or 4th gen shock would fit this configuration. I am not sure if the mounts of the bottom linkages are the same between the 3rd and 4th gen frame.

I am interested in a link to that brittish website.

170 width was standard on the 4th gen

Yes, but 170 was also the stock width of the 3rd gen rear tyre

Honda doesn't maintain a history site on their bikes, UK or state side.

I don't know of a site that shows all their bikes but there is this one about Honda V4s.

• Member Contributer

I think this person is confused, because he also references some odd information like putting VFR750 and VFR800 single-sided swingarms on the same CBR900RR even though there are drastic differences between these two swingarms, with the first two being designed to mount to the frame and the second two being designed to mount to the engine cases....but maybe it's just me :ph34r:

If eBay boy were right, the Honda Parts Catalogues would confirm this. I don't have those in paper for the '94 FR, but I don't really think I'd have to check...sounds too bogus. Not wasting my time looking this up!

Ciao,

Archived