Seat Recommendation?

Guest fcaprilia

So, yesterday I broke down and decided to order a Corbin Seat. I called them and pulled the trigger. The Gel Pad is a good idea, but, it did get hard after a long time of riding and I was back to square 1. So, new seat replacement. I was going to get Sargent and I think they make a great seat. However, I did not want to have my bike down for 3 weeks while they work on it. Also, a new replacement Seat from Corbin would cost almost the same as a rebuilt seat from Sargent when you add all the shipping and down time.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, yesterday I broke down and decided to order a Corbin Seat. I called them and pulled the trigger. The Gel Pad is a good idea, but, it did get hard after a long time of riding and I was back to square 1. So, new seat replacement. I was going to get Sargent and I think they make a great seat. However, I did not want to have my bike down for 3 weeks while they work on it. Also, a new replacement Seat from Corbin would cost almost the same as a rebuilt seat from Sargent when you add all the shipping and down time.

Let me know how you like it. Probably going to get the Corbin myself.

I just wish Corbin would make a version without that UGLY pleating in the seat. I actually emailed them about it and was ready to buy a Corbin seat if they could/would make a seat without the stiching.

Here was my question:

Dear Corbin,

I'm looking at replacing the OEM seat on my 2012 VFR1200. Before I rule out Corbin
seats, would it be possible to have the seat covered WITHOUT the
pleating (or stitching that goes front to back on the seat)? I had a Corbin
seat on my Honda 919 and it was quite comfortable... but I don't want a
seat that looks nearly identical to the one on my Dad's 86 Goldwing.

I assume that the pleating/stitching is for the heating elements, but if
I order a seat WITHOUT heat, can would it be possible to order it
without the pleating/stitching as well. I live in Minnesota, so it's
not going to be an option for me to come in for a 'custom seat'.

Thanks,
-<name removed>

And Corbin's response:

Thank you for your intrest in Corbin. We do need
to put a stitch pattern on the saddle. The seats stitch is a must.
There is a reason for the stitch pattern, with out the stitching the
seats lombard area would have a large "air bubble" show over time. With
out the stitching the seats cover would become loose and it would not
hold up over time. When the saddle is installed on the bike it looks
great. Also when the rider mounts up on the VFR it feels even better.
Some other may companys have replacement saddles that look different.
But we offer the saddle that best in desighn and also the best in
performance. Dont compermise you bike with a product that is may look
cool for a day. But is inferior in desighn. Give us a call for more
info, 800-223-4332... You wont be dissapointed.

I dunno. I call BS as they make PLENTY of seats without the stiching and I haven't heard/seen anyone with this problem that owns a Sargent seat.

• Member Contributer

I just wish Corbin would make a version without that UGLY pleating in the seat. I actually emailed them about it and was ready to buy a Corbin seat if they could/would make a seat without the stiching.

Here was my question:

Dear Corbin,

I'm looking at replacing the OEM seat on my 2012 VFR1200. Before I rule out Corbin

seats, would it be possible to have the seat covered WITHOUT the

pleating (or stitching that goes front to back on the seat)? I had a Corbin

seat on my Honda 919 and it was quite comfortable... but I don't want a

seat that looks nearly identical to the one on my Dad's 86 Goldwing.

I assume that the pleating/stitching is for the heating elements, but if

I order a seat WITHOUT heat, can would it be possible to order it

without the pleating/stitching as well. I live in Minnesota, so it's

not going to be an option for me to come in for a 'custom seat'.

Thanks,

-<name removed>

And Corbin's response:

>

Thank you for your intrest in Corbin. We do need

to put a stitch pattern on the saddle. The seats stitch is a must.

There is a reason for the stitch pattern, with out the stitching the

seats lombard area would have a large "air bubble" show over time. With

out the stitching the seats cover would become loose and it would not

hold up over time. When the saddle is installed on the bike it looks

great. Also when the rider mounts up on the VFR it feels even better.

Some other may companys have replacement saddles that look different.

But we offer the saddle that best in desighn and also the best in

performance. Dont compermise you bike with a product that is may look

cool for a day. But is inferior in desighn. Give us a call for more

info, 800-223-4332... You wont be dissapointed.

I dunno. I call BS as they make PLENTY of seats without the stiching and I haven't heard/seen anyone with this problem that owns a Sargent seat.

No problems as described with my Sargent seat.

Sargent seat

I had a Sargent seat on my FJR and that seat was amazing. But again, it was an FJR...

@EhVffer: What are your thoughts about Corbin's response? Do you see that as legitimate reason or do you call BS?

• Member Contributer

I had a Sargent seat on my FJR and that seat was amazing. But again, it was an FJR...

@EhVffer: What are your thoughts about Corbin's response? Do you see that as legitimate reason or do you call BS?

I see no reason not to buy the Sargent beyond personal taste. Each manufacturer will lay claim to some particular superiority but the only BS meter are my ass muscles. On the stock seat I was good for just under an hour but on the Sargent I have stopped even thinking about the issue, its just not a factor anymore. The superior performance and design Corbin alludes to I can't compare to Sargent beyond I am very happy with both the seat and the service from Sargent. My seat came back in just over a week as I had it done in what they called their low season (the fall). Many people have Corbin seats and if they are as happy with theirs as I am with mine its all good.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents, I complained left and right about the seat for about 2000Mi. now I'm at 3200Mi and it feels fine. Same thing for my Honda truck too, seat felt hard as a rock till it broke in after while. Glad I waited too, the seat I was looking at was REALLY expensive for what it was.

I'm okay with the '10 OEM seat shape and firmness. It just seems a bit slipperier than typical. For a sport bike, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but as a touring rig, it's a bit too easy to move around. I sat on the '12 and the seat surfaces felt a bit tackier, but I never did get a chance to ride a '12. Can anybody comment on their experience with '12 OEM seat?

My experience with aftermarket seats is mixed. Some worked well but others felt worse than the OEM. I would be very hesitant to shell out a big wad of cash without some serious butt time first.

• Member Contributer

I'm okay with the '10 OEM seat shape and firmness. It just seems a bit slipperier than typical. For a sport bike, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but as a touring rig, it's a bit too easy to move around. I sat on the '12 and the seat surfaces felt a bit tackier, but I never did get a chance to ride a '12. Can anybody comment on their experience with '12 OEM seat?

My experience with aftermarket seats is mixed. Some worked well but others felt worse than the OEM. I would be very hesitant to shell out a big wad of cash without some serious butt time first.

On my '10 the OEM seat was fine for around the city but for touring it turned into three weeks of agony. It was the first thing I switched when I got back. My wife was on the same ride and was quite comfortable throughout the trip. I have ridden my wife's '12 many times and the seat is markedly more comfortable. It's tackier and cushier in the right spots and huge improvement over the '10. Comparing her OEM '12 seat to my Sargent seat however I would take my Sargent every time.

• Member Contributer

Does the '12 seat fit on the '10 bike?

Yes it does. When my seat was into Sargent for recovering I used with my wife's '12 seat on my '10 when I wanted to ride.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2012 and following a 3 day 1200 mile tour, I can say the seat is rubbish. It felt as if I were sitting on a seat that had a rolled-up towel across the saddle dish. It was a pain in the perineum after about an hour. A gel pad got me home, but I will be replacing the seat. Recommendations are welcome.

Got tired of sliding on the stock seat, so I took a chance on the Honda accessories low seat (08R50-MGE-100D) for less than $200 shipped to my door. While not exactly the equal of some of the better aftermarket seats I've sampled, the Honda low seat turns out to be much better than the stocker. Even though it has very similar cover texture to the stock seat, the fact that the foam underneath seems to be quite a bit softer must be allowing my butt to "dig in" a bit more, to the point of not sliding around nearly as bad as the stock '10 seat. I did a 300 mile day ride a few week ago, and I was very comfortable throughout.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know how you like it. Probably going to get the Corbin myself.

Ok, a few months later Here is why I went Corbon:

• The Sargent seat was excellent with great reviews, but it needed a ton of upfront measurements. It needed me to send my seat in and with all the shipping costs, it was pretty much to same cost as getting a Corbin.
  • The Corbin seat is an independent seat. This means I take the Corbin seat off the bike and keep it inside the house to protect it from the elements. I keep the stock seat on the bike at all times except when I go for long rides.
  • The seat is just amazing for long rides. The only gripe I have is that it raises my body 1.5 inches which changes the dynamic of how I grab the handle bars. I guess that is to be expected with all that cushioning beneath my butt.

Recommendation, I do recommend the Corbin seat. It cost me exactly $498 and was delivered to my door 2 weeks after placing the order. below is a picture of the corbin seat on the bike.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/63118-2013-02-16-645/

the 2012 seat does fit on the 2010 bike. I did fit checks at the Honda dealership last year.

For those who own Corbin seats

How does it latch onto the bike any different than stock. Is it hard to take off or on?

Width of the seat driver & passenger compared to stock?

I called the factory in Hollister and said they can make me a seat in about 4 days and can pick the seat up. The reason I ask is because I'm visiting San Francisco (1 hour away from corbin plant) and was thinking of purchasing the seat before heading back to Korea.

Thank you in advance.

Just bought a 2010 seat so I can keep my 2012 seat and have a custom seat built on the 2010 pan. Anyone have experience with Russell Day Long - sport seat ? The looks of their touring seats would ruin the lines of the bike.

Nasa,

What materials did you pick? That looks like black vinyl, but I'm not sure.

I picked the regular "Mercedes leather" type of seat at he top with Vinyl sides. I spoke with their customer rep on the phone and he recommended no welts, leather up top and vinyl on the sides for longevity. I recommend placing the order and asking them to call you before they finalize the order. The guys at Corbin were helpful. Good luck.

• 6 months later...

FWIW, I traded my '10 stock seat with a '12 VFR1200 pilot, who was going to have the stock seat redone by Saddleman anyway. I have now ridden on the '12 stock seat for about a week and WOW!!! what a difference. The new cover material is nowhere near as slippery as the '10, but it's not super grabby either. Plus the firmness of the '12 stock seat is also different. Seems to be a little more compliant without being real soft.

Just as I suspected, the seat not being slippery helps to relieve some pressure off the wrists, particular on braking and also when I slide toward the rear of the seat to get into more of a tuck The difference is subtle, of course, but definitely noticeable.

I'll have to do a long day ride to see how the seat does for touring duty. I can sense that it probably won't be as comfortable as a truly well-done aftermarket seat, but sometimes good enough is... well, good enough.

• Member Contributer

I have a Sargent on my 5th gen that I have no complaints about. Never rode the stock so cant compare. BUT! that thing weighs a tone! I ride more sport than tour so thinking about the weight I would be losing by going stock. ????? 15lbs, 20lbs?? What would you say is the weight difference between heavy Sargent and a stock seat?

Archived