Seat Recommendation?

Guest fcaprilia

Guest fcaprilia

Did my first long ride last weekend (550 miles in Eastern Washington). Love the DCT and about the only thing that bothered me is the saddle. The rear starts to get uncomfortable after about a 100miles. I am trying to decide if I should replace the stock seat with a Corbin (never owned a Corbin before) or should I try a gel pad such as this one on ebay. Appreciate any suggestion/recommendations you can make.

519517759_tp.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have a Rick Mayer seat and would recommend it. I, too, did not like the stock seat and after about two hours it start to hurt. However, while the Rick Mayer is not nirvana, it does allow me to ride 8+ hours at a time with little discomfort. The craftsmanship is first rate and it looks good, to me anyway, on the bike. The seat seemed to break in after a few thousand miles. i also had a Russlle Daylong on my 98 VFR and while comfortable the looks are acquired. I would recommend the Rick Mayer over the Daylong for what it's worth.

I have something called the Airhawk R that seemed to help out quite a bit but did not totally solve my problem. My seat bothers me right in my groin area, this air bladder takes some of the pressure off so it's a work in progress since the bladder is adjustable. I just need to find the right setting that works for me.

I have something called the Airhawk R that seemed to help out quite a bit but did not totally solve my problem. My seat bothers me right in my groin area, this air bladder takes some of the pressure off so it's a work in progress since the bladder is adjustable. I just need to find the right setting that works for me.

Thanks mikep. Are you able to shift your body weight/position around the corners without the cushion obstructing your movement or moving out of position? Thanks

I have a Rick Mayer seat and would recommend it. I, too, did not like the stock seat and after about two hours it start to hurt. However, while the Rick Mayer is not nirvana, it does allow me to ride 8+ hours at a time with little discomfort. The craftsmanship is first rate and it looks good, to me anyway, on the bike. The seat seemed to break in after a few thousand miles. i also had a Russlle Daylong on my 98 VFR and while comfortable the looks are acquired. I would recommend the Rick Mayer over the Daylong for what it's worth.

Thanks. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what my options are.

Thanks mikep. Are you able to shift your body weight/position around the corners without the cushion obstructing your movement or moving out of position? Thanks

One more question. I found the Airhawk R on revzilla.com. The dimensions are 15.25 inches wide and 14 inches deep. Is this what you have and I assume it fits well? Thanks.

fcaprilia

It's funny we both had or have Aprilia's and switched to Honda DCT's. I went from a pain in the a__ clutch to no clutch at all. To answer your questions yes that is the same one and it fits fine. You just have to mess with the straps a little bit to make it fit under the seat. No problem shifting your weight around so don't worry about that. If I get around to it I'll take a picture later on tonight.

fcaprilia

It's funny we both had or have Aprilia's and switched to Honda DCT's. I went from a pain in the a__ clutch to no clutch at all. To answer your questions yes that is the same one and it fits fine. You just have to mess with the straps a little bit to make it fit under the seat. No problem shifting your weight around so don't worry about that. If I get around to it I'll take a picture later on tonight.

Thank you. I will order it from reveilla. Would be great if ou can please post pictures of your installation (especially the strap positioning etc.). Thanks.

Love the Futura but no longer use it. My wife surprised me with the DCT for Christmas. I was just admiring the bike a month prior and the next thing i know on Christmas day it is in our garage. I had not even test driven it! Really like the bike and the seat has been my only real concern. I am hoping the Airhawk addresses it.

Hope this helps. There probably are several ways to mount the airhawk, this is just the way I have it installed.

post-23356-0-68108100-1337723767.jpgpost-23356-0-83362300-1337723771.jpg

Ordered mine today. Thanks.....the pictures are helpful. Appreciate you helping me with this.

• 1 month later...

Love the Air Hawk. It works great. The seat comfort is so much better. Thanks Mike.

I recommend this to anyone who has discomfort with the stock seat for long rides.

I ordered a Corbin today to replace my stock seat that already has a split in the vinyl at the front. Corbin was friendly and said they had one in stock they could send me right away. I'll let you know how it works out.

PS, I asked my dealer to talk to the Honda rep about a little help with my two year old stock seat with premature split. No help forthcoming...

I purchased the Corbin and seat and I love the quality of the build, fit and feel. The stock seat was too slippery and helped make the bike feel small. The corbin is just a nice fit. I also purchased the back rest for my wife and she loves it over the stock seat. The only downfall is that Corbin are legal robbers, way too expensive.

Does the Corbin stop the passenger from sliding forward? It is really bad on the stock seat!!!

Went ahead and ordered up a new Corbin this morning. Once she arrives I will post up how she does concerning decel characteristics.

I picked up one of the Gel Pads at a local shop and it helps out a lot. But, it's still not as good as the Sargent I had on my 6th gen. For less than 400 bucks you can send them your seat and they will re-tool it. That's probably what I'll do before fall riding season gets here. The Corbin is very nice and my girlfriend would love the backrest. I'm anxious to see how you like yours.

Any seat has to be better than the stock seat for keeping your passenger off of you during braking. Mine is on my back like a bug on a windshield ....hahahhahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Installed seat yesterday morning and we rode for about 2.5 hours last nite. The Corbin is 'substantially' better during decel. It does not completely resolve the issue, but I don't believe any seat would. This bike stops really well! She also liked the backrest and the overall comfort much better. She gave it 2 thumbs up and was glad we spent the bucks to get it.

My initial thoughts on the seat are that it is better than stock...for $500 it should be! I will have to ride a bit more before a full determination is done. I put 77,000 miles on the Corbin that was on the FJR and loved every smile of it! We shall see how it works out on the VFR.

The Corbin is 'substantially' better during decel. It does not completely resolve the issue, but I don't believe any seat would.

The Sargent does. I never even think about it anymore. The Carbon FX material they use sticks like glue, especially when it's warm outside. I actually have trouble hanging off in corners if I'm wearing my leathers. It's about a 3 week procedure, but boy is it worth it.

The Corbin is 'substantially' better during decel. It does not completely resolve the issue, but I don't believe any seat would.

The Sargent does. I never even think about it anymore. The Carbon FX material they use sticks like glue, especially when it's warm outside. I actually have trouble hanging off in corners if I'm wearing my leathers. It's about a 3 week procedure, but boy is it worth it.

I was referring to the passenger. I probably should have stated that again.

Wish the Sargent had a backrest so us that ride 2up would at least have an option.

I have a Sargent on my C14 and like it. I didn't think they made a seat for the VFR1200 because I couldn't find it on their website. Is it available?

I have a Sargent on my C14 and like it. I didn't think they made a seat for the VFR1200 because I couldn't find it on their website. Is it available?

http://www.sargentcycle.com/cspfu.htm

Third from the bottom. Feels exactly like the actual Sargents on my VFR800 and V-Strom 650.

I tried a couple of things. First, I got the Sheep Skin from the Alaska Sheep Skin company. This gave me an extra 100 miles and cost $50.

My wishes came true when I bought the PRO PAD Gel Pad: http://www.thepropad.com/Fabric-Seat-Pads-Prodlist.html

The PRO PAD was not cheap. It cost $100 and fits perfectly when conducting aggressive maneuvers. I got the Large.

Good Luck.

• Member Contributer

I tried a couple of things. First, I got the Sheep Skin from the Alaska Sheep Skin company. This gave me an extra 100 miles and cost $50.

My wishes came true when I bought the PRO PAD Gel Pad: http://www.thepropad...s-Prodlist.html

The PRO PAD was not cheap. It cost $100 and fits perfectly when conducting aggressive maneuvers. I got the Large.

Good Luck.

Would like to see a picture if you have a chance.

Archived