Seat Recommendation?

Guest fcaprilia

• Member Contributer

I fear Corbins for one reason - on my old FZ1, whenever I rode in the rain, the seat would gather water in a little pool thinking that my nuts wanted to go for a swim. That's the 'dished' look, I guess. Loved that seat for comfort in the dry, but man... every stinking time it rained, I had a pool of water in my crotch.

-Dan

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can certainly see how that could be. I avoid riding in the rain like the plague, but getting caught in the wet is unavoidable. When that happens, it's miserable regardless.

Sure thing. :cool:

Did you get this seat?
Yes I did. I have put some miles on it but not enough to render a solid opinion yet. My first impressions are positive. The Corbin seat is firm, which I like. The nose is higher than the back, which took some getting used to, because I instinctively slide forward when I come to a stop to give my midget legs a better chance of reaching terra firma. With the Corbin, I found it's better to stay back a little. I understand the reason for the high nose though, as I no longer slam my family jewels against the gas tank every time I brake, which my #1 complaint with the Honda OEM seats. The Corbin rep I spoke to talked a lot about this "feature" and that some folks elect to send back for a "nose job".

I can still easily hang half a cheek over, which is about all I care to do on a street bike. Lookswise, I am neutral. On one hand, I have always liked the classic Corbin dished look, but it makes the VFR1200 look more like a touring bike. Still, I spent $400 for comfort, not looks. For that, I'll wait till after my upcoming 3-day 3Sisters tour to make a call.

nice, i look forward to a full report. i've been doing a few 500mile trips and the stock seats don't cut it, the original seat i got with the bike has the problem of the back being higher and combined with the slippery nature of the covering made it a pain in the ass and jewels. that seat developed a tear and i had it replaced on warranty and the second seat has the same shape but the material is a lot more sticky so that improved at least but after a 600 mile weekend it proved to be almost as uncomfortable as the original that after 100miles you really start dancing around on the seat to bear it.

• Member Contributer

FWIW i got my Sargent seat fitted with gel pads by a local upholsterer. What a difference, no more numb bum.There again the bike came with the seat fitted so didn't have to lash out on top of a new seat.

nice, i look forward to a full report. i've been doing a few 500mile trips and the stock seats don't cut it, the original seat i got with the bike has the problem of the back being higher and combined with the slippery nature of the covering made it a pain in the ass and jewels. that seat developed a tear and i had it replaced on warranty and the second seat has the same shape but the material is a lot more sticky so that improved at least but after a 600 mile weekend it proved to be almost as uncomfortable as the original that after 100miles you really start dancing around on the seat to bear it.

My 3 day tour was supposed to be this past week, but it got rained out. Still trying to reschedule...

In the mean time, I have to say that because I ride VFR1200 for both intown and on tours, I probably will reserve the Corbin for longer rides. For commuting and around town, the needs of my short legs outweigh the needs of my butt. :goofy: My legs have grown quite fond of the Honda optional low/narrow seat. I'm gonna see about recovering it to get rid of the slipperiness.

• Member Contributer

There's also some T-Foam blocks for sale specifically for redoing a seat DIY style at sporttouring.net...

_Dan

That's true. There are DIY kits available with foam and cover. For short rides on the low seat, I'm fine with the seat shape or the relatively firm foam. It's just the covering I could do without. Especially in the colder months when I ride with my textile overpants, it's slipperier than snot.

• 5 months later...

The saddlemen seat sure looks good.

Any update from someone who has used them?

Thx

I used the Saddlemen touring shape foam kit to recover the seat on my 7th Gen. I didn't find the stock seat to be that uncomfortable, but the Mrs. hated the slippery covering. My backside, and my wife's as pillion, has no problems running a tank of gas from F to E, and the pseudo-suede provides much more grip than stock. I didn't have to send the seat pan to them, I did the recover myself. When the kit was delivered, I debated having a local upholsterer do it for me, but I figured I may as well try it myself as I can always pull it off and have a pro do it if I jack it up too bad. You WILL need a pneumatic staple gun. I don't care if your manual one says it's "heavy duty" it won't work...All said, the recover turned out pretty good. There is an area that I probably should tighten up, but it's definitely a DIY'able project. Although I consider the seat all-day comfortable, seats are like helmets...your mileage may vary.

That's great Darren. I've got to buy a staple gun for cedar siding anyway.

Now if I can finally sell my 5th gen I'll be able to do some upgrades on my 7th gen.

Thanks

Archived