Mystery part in my oil pan

Guest PCDEC

Guest PCDEC

My bike broke recently. I was on the way home and my loose chain came off(another was on order) so I stopped and put it back on and when I went to go I only had first, neutral, and second gear...and I had to hold the shifter up with my foot to keep it in second. I rode the 8 miles home in second. No other problems or weird noises or anything.

I ordered the gear shift arm spring figuring that was the problem.

Today I took off the clutch side cover and I didn't have the right wrench to remove the bolt in the oil sprocket so I moved on to the oil pan. I removed it hoping to find the broken spring but it wasn't there. There was one part in there tho. It's about 1/2"x1 1/2" and it's like a quarter circle shape. It looks like 1/16th stamped steel. Here is a picture. Please help me identify it and it's purpose.

post-11984-0-80301300-1336603887.jpg

Guest Recalcitrance

Looks like a piece from the shift drum or the gear spacer which broke when the chain came off and it fell down into your oil pan. Luckily it didn't lock up your transmission. Look for a hole in your case and/or check your shift rod to see if it's bent or broken.

Or not.

• Member Contributer

good news and bad news..

it is NOT part of the shift drum ..and you dont have a came chain.. however.

. it IS part of the cam.. meaning you may have some more bits in your engine..

. a couple of tension springs.. pull the cam cover off and and it should be clear if you have damage to one of the cams,..

if not.. it was already fixed and they missed this part that dropped in pan..

• Member Contributer

Wow..............

I once found a little plastic blob in the oil pan of my LeMans, took it to the bike shop and they told me it was a "weee" part.

Puzzled I asked what that was.

He threw it over his shoulder while calling out WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...... :tour:

Metal parts? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :pissed:

Wow..............

I once found a little plastic blob in the oil pan of my LeMans, took it to the bike shop and they told me it was a "weee" part.

Puzzled I asked what that was.

He threw it over his shoulder while calling out WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...... :tour:

Metal parts? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :pissed:

:laughing6-hehe::idea3:

Nice Dutchy :D

gll429, you mean the valve cover right? And inspect the cams and I should see where that part came from? So you think this part is unrelated to my shifter problem and the shift arm spring is broken or something?

See part #'s - 2,3,4,5 on the Service Honda parts page for your model, camshaft section. I think you'll see that the camshaft gears have a similarly formed plate on the side.

Sorry, can't deep link right to the page... go to http://www.servicehonda.com/ , then "look up parts", then bore down through "honda", "year", "model", "camshaft".

Well Lee you are correct. That's it. And I don't see buying a camshaft for $218 in my near future.

Everything under the front valve cover looks fine...posting a pic of the rear where the part broke off of the gear on the camshaft. There's no noticeable damage anywhere except a few light scratches on the inside of the rear valve cover. Not sure how it happened or if it just happened or has been like that a while as it seems unrelated to my original problem. Still have a mystery tho. The 2 little weights(or whatever they are) that are held in by the piece that broke off are as of yet unaccounted for...any ideas? Also what is the purpose of the weights in the gear? I will assume that leaving it like this will cause my cam shaft bearings or cam shaft to go bad because it is unbalanced.

As for the original problem I have not been able to get the oil pump gear bolt out yet because without removing the entire clutch basket it requires a bent wrench. I am told you can change the spring if you remove this gear even tho I can't seem to see it back there yet.

post-11984-0-97116600-1336702678.jpg

post-11984-0-28943500-1336702696.jpg

The 2 little weights(or whatever they are) that are held in by the piece that broke off are as of yet unaccounted for...

I think you are looking for coil springs like gll429 mentioned, or at least the remains of them.

• Member Contributer

The 2 little weights(or whatever they are) that are held in by the piece that broke off are as of yet unaccounted for...

I think you are looking for coil springs like gll429 mentioned, or at least the remains of them.

I can't get a good view of the cams in any online parts fiche, but these appear to be anti-backlash (or anti-rattle) gear parts, yes? Has anybody ever run without the anti-rattle bits? Still requires removing the cam to remove the rest of the broken parts, but it'll get the bike back on the road.

And yes, there's still missing bits to account for.

Glenn

The anti-rattle gears have indeed been bypassed before for trackbikes.

If it were my bike, I would source a good used cam from here or Ebay, and install that, then figure out what's wrong with the transmission.

Or at this stage, you might consider swapping in an entire motor off Ebay, or getting a spare engine for all the needed internal parts for your current engine.

The thing is after removing the clutch side cover, both valve covers, and the oil pan I have yet to locate any loose parts except for the one in the first pic I posted. Which is why I am thinking the side of the cam gear has been broken a while and someone else removed the other parts at some point(hopefully) Or are the springs too big to drop to the oil pan and most likely hung up somewhere inside? I would think being at the very top and being springs there would be pieces in the oil pan or something on the drain plug magnet but I found nothing. There's almost no chance they could have both gotten hung up somewhere and not touched any moving parts.

I also haven't turned up any trace of the gear shift arm spring unless it's still on the shift arm which I don't know because I can't get the bolt out of the oil pump gear to see back there. I'll probably just remove the clutch basket so I can get a socket on that bolt. I do have the clutch socket from honda because I've done the clutch on my VTR250 bfore and one side fits that and the other side fits the VFR.

The only good thing is since I have it all apart I might as well check the valves and clean the air filter(K&N which I noticed is filthy).

• 2 weeks later...

it will jump out of gear while unloading power if the little spring on the long arm puching/pulling the shift drum is tired/broken...

clutch cover off to inspect. clutch basket off to replace.

Archived