Bailyrock was right... WHERE TO BUY SUPERTECH FILTERS NOW?

PACIFICMAN

I went to Wal Mart today. SuperTech filters no longer sold at Wal Mart, mine anyway. It appears that Fram has gone big in their place. I know many on here prefer other brands, cool, I like the Supertechs. Does anyone have a resource or retailer that carries the ST7317 filter for the 2002 VFR?

Please post up!

• Member Contributer

Wait, you doubted Baileyrock? That's like questioning Monk's riding tips--or arguing about oil with BusyLittleShop. You might be struck blind! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Yeah my Wallyworld has discontinued them as well. And I think that they were a special product produced just for Walmart. One of the store employees said that they were being replaced with Fram filters. So I ended up buying one of those. As expected it was more expensive than the Supertech.

• Member Contributer

As most of you know, Champion Labs has manufactured several big name decent quality filters such as Mobil-1, K&N, Bosch, Luberfiner, etc. They also make the economy STP filter. I haven't inspected an STP filter, but if it is as decent as the Supertech, that might be the next route to economy filters. The few quick reviews I read showed it to be similar to other Champion made filters, but YMMV as these are usually larger automotive filters that get dissected. Now that Supertech is gone, I'll probably just buy whatever I can get locally, which would be Wix/NAPA.

I plan to go w/Puralator, don't have the # off the top of my head though.

Purolator Pure One PL14610s

Thanks Monk, that's the short one(standard) 2.5", they make a longer 3.25" also which is PL1461?..

• Member Contributer

I forgot that we have an Advance Auto here now. They have Puralator. I reckon I'll price the Wix and Wix/NAPA brands along with Puralator and get the cheapest one. I loaded up on Puralator automotive filters last year when Puralator and Advance had a big rebate offer going. I think I ended up spending less than $2.50 a filter for the yellow Pure Ones.

I forgot that we have an Advance Auto here now. They have Puralator. I reckon I'll price the Wix and Wix/NAPA brands along with Puralator and get the cheapest one. I loaded up on Puralator automotive filters last year when Puralator and Advance had a big rebate offer going. I think I ended up spending less than $2.50 a filter for the yellow Pure Ones.

Motorcycle Filters.

None are recommended.

• AC Delco PF2135
  • AMSOil SMF103
  • Carquest 85358
  • AC Delco PF2135
  • FRAM PH6017A
  • Honda 15410-MCJ-000
  • K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
  • NAPA Gold 1358
  • Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
  • STP SMO 17
  • WIX 51358

• Member Contributer

My local WallyWorld is now carrying Bosch, so I picked up one of those as opposed to the ST. Yeah, it was still $5 more, but I only do 1 or 2 oil changes a year _*gasp*_

• Member Contributer

Motorcycle Filters.

None are recommended.

• AC Delco PF2135
  • AMSOil SMF103
  • Carquest 85358
  • AC Delco PF2135
  • FRAM PH6017A
  • Honda 15410-MCJ-000
  • NAPA Gold 1358
  • STP SMO 17
  • WIX 51358

Why did you go and do that after saying you were going to use one on that list? :pinocchio::tongue:

Motorcycle Filters.

None are recommended.

• AC Delco PF2135
  • AMSOil SMF103
  • Carquest 85358
  • AC Delco PF2135
  • FRAM PH6017A
  • Honda 15410-MCJ-000
  • NAPA Gold 1358
  • STP SMO 17
  • WIX 51358

Why did you go and do that after saying you were going to use one on that list? :pinocchio::tongue:

No the Puralator listed here is not the good one, it's the PL14610 that is the good one.

• Member Contributer

No the Puralator listed here is not the good one, it's the PL14610 that is the good one.

Isn't that thick film of grit on the cams all that's keeping your valves in spec? :goofy:

The Bosch at Wal Mart is $11+. The Super Tech was $2+. That seems like an awful lot to pay for the Bosch license, however, It looked like a different construction. I gotta believe the ST7317's are out there, somewhere. I used to use the HiFlo and liked them a lot. They are just more costly(I'm a cheapskate) but I have read that they are of very good quality. I don't think they are the current OEM maker. I believe Fram has taken over the manufacture of the OEM filters. I read that on here and saw myself that the stamp(5U) on the bottom of the Fram unit matches the stamp on the current OEM fllter.

My car oil filter(Mercedes) was a Bosch, made in Gemany, the new elements are Bosch made in China...

• Member Contributer

The Bosch at Wal Mart is $11+. The Super Tech was $2+. That seems like an awful lot to pay for the Bosch license, however, It looked like a different construction.

I bought a Bosch 3323 (the longer one) at a local auto parts store for $8 including the 'eco' fee. That means it's cheaper than Sprawlmart in the U.S.? Must be a first. The site linked above says $6 in the U.S.--I'd shop around. I've used the Bosch and OEM without incident.

• 2 months later...

Wish I'd checked this thread out yesterday, but I just figured I'd buy one of the filters I normally use.

I went to Wally World last night after work to pick up some oil and a filter. Lo and behold, no SuperTech filters. I won't buy Fram - the only other filter they had that fits - so I bought a Bosch 3300 Distance Plus for $12.

I used old Bosch 3300 in the past, but has anyone used the 3300 Distance Plus yet? Feels a little heavier than normal. Wasn't thrilled with the price, so I might buy something else at the auto parts store and save (or return) this one.

• Member Contributer

Purolator Pure One filters are on sale at Advance Auto.

PL14610 (3.25")

PL14612 (2.5")

Both are $5.94 with 15% off code JL14, good through July 14. They are regularly $6.99 each. Buy them online and pick up at your local store.

Archived