Accidently put 4 qts. in during oil chng. Then I ...

MaxSwell

• Member Contributer

I was interrupted while changing my oil and a few minutes later I discovered I had four (not three) empty qts. of oil. Then I ran the bike for several minutes. Long enough for the temp guage to get to 154 degrees.

I did not take it off the centerstand.

I plan to drain out .7 qts. to get to the proper amount in the crankcase. (Thumb in the drain hole while I put in a new crush washer.)

So what are the consequences of running with too much oil?

• Member Contributer

Two things that I can think of. 1) Too much oil pressure 2) Oil escaping out of a vent tube or something. Except for making a mess, 1 is the real issue if the oil burst threw a seal or gasket.

Don't worry about it. You didn't run it hard and 154 degrees isn't even up to normal operating temp.

Don't worry about it. You didn't run it hard and 154 degrees isn't even up to normal operating temp.

I agree nothing has been hurt yet.

The oil will be churned up and aerated by the spinning crank, if the level was higher than the bottom of the crank.

Aerated oil does not lubricate as well as oil without air, but since you did not ride the bike, and hence the engine was not under load, and you only ran it for a short time, I'd say the consequences are NIL.

The oil will be churned up and aerated by the spinning crank, if the level was higher than the bottom of the crank.

Aerated oil does not lubricate as well as oil without air, but since you did not ride the bike, and hence the engine was not under load, and you only ran it for a short time, I'd say the consequences are NIL.

+1 if you ride it with the oil substantially overfull and you acheive aeration of the oil, you run risk of serious engine damage. What you did is no biggie and might not even cause a problem at all. I'd still drain it instead of finding out if it aerates at full operating temps though.

• Member Contributer

Thanks I was hoping that'd be the case. I've reduced the lever to under the top line in the sight glass. I double checked for oil on the bike; no sigh. I let it run for a couple min. Still ok. So I'll try to forget about it but remember it at oil chng time.

I am well, 781. Back at you, pal.

I'd actually pull the filter off to drain the extra oil. Maybe even multiple times if needed (starting in between to put more oil in the filter). I would think that would be easier than pulling the drain plug and trying not to lose too much oil in the process.

Maxswell, I did the same exact thing this spring! I started draining, not realizing the oil was as hot as it was. I ended up with a pretty hot thumb. Felt like a dufus, but got the oil to the right level. Kind of stunk, cuz the oil is over $10 per quart. Learned my lesson.

Another way is to use a clear tube and suck it up close to your mouth, then put your tongue on the end and pull the tube out of the filler hole and drain the tube into a container. No mess.

Another way is to use a clear tube and suck it up close to your mouth, then put your tongue on the end and pull the tube out of the filler hole and drain the tube into a container. No mess.

Just don't suck too hard if you try that method. . :goofy:

Just don't suck too hard if you try that method. . :goofy:

A long clear tube helps. A baster is a good idea but not to practical getting a big one in the filler hole.

• Member Contributer

NOTHING bad will happen with 1 quart over..

i must have seen 2 or 3 dozen bikes with 2 GALLONS of oil in them.. they ran like crap..

the customers said " i just had an oil change now it sucks...." :rolleyes:

i just drained the oil and added new oil to the proper level.. and presto. back to normal.

Archived