Cramp-Buster Vs. Cruise Control

slooman

Question

After my first trip on my 1200, I realized I would need something to allow my right hand to excercise a little. I've looked into cruise controls ($150 price range) and the "wrist-type" paddles. Can anyone offer advise as to which is better?

IMHO....They have different jobs ......... We have throttle locks and/or electronic cruise controls.........

Then we have palm rests'

The 1st is for set speeds... And the 2nd is to aid us while the throttle is being used in a moble mode.

Depending on what you want either for would be your choice.

I use and have both.

DSC00224.JPG

• Member Contributer

After my first trip on my 1200, I realized I would need something to allow my right hand to excercise a little. I've looked into cruise controls ($150 price range) and the "wrist-type" paddles. Can anyone offer advise as to which is better?

I use both together. On quite a few bikes, I have run a NEP throttle lock and a throttle rocker. It makes a lot of diffence. Your talking 20 bucks for the throttle lock and 10 bucks for the throttle rocker. Cheap.

IMHO....They have different jobs ......... We have throttle locks and/or electronic cruise controls.........

Then we have palm rests'

The 1st is for set speeds... And the 2nd is to aid us while the throttle is being used in a moble mode.

I use and have both.

I see...thanks for the pic. I didn't think about using both. For the price of the palm rest, it's a good idea. According to their website, the throttle-lock does not fit the DCT. My throttle doesn't look a whole lot different than yours, though. Maybe I'll just order it and try to make it work. Can you recommend a good electronic?

Then we have palm rests'

I use and have both.

I see...thanks for the pic. I didn't think about using both. For the price of the palm rest, it's a good idea. According to their website, the throttle-lock does not fit the DCT. My throttle doesn't look a whole lot different than yours, though. Maybe I'll just order it and try to make it work. Can you recommend a good electronic?

I can't help with the "electric" cruise, but I'm sure someone will be along.

• Member Contributer

I only use my cruise control on long low traffic interstate rides. I use my throttle lock the rest of the time. It takes the spring pressure off my wrist, but is easily controllable as I speed up and slow down. I could easily live without my cruise control, but not my throttle lock.

I really like the Throttlemeister system verses a NEP. Once you get it set up, no more worries. Plus, it just looks clean. Just my opinion.

I have used both, and they do get used for 2 different things. Monk is correct on his statement.

• Member Contributer

NEP Throttle Lock - I'm assuming that there is one that fits a seventh gen.

What Lee said.

It ain't high-tech, nor does it need to be to give your hand/wrist some relief.

NEP Throttle Lock

Just incase ppl don't feel safe using something like this for fear of not being able to cancel the lock in time.

There is an adjustment screw. Just set the screw so if for some reason you can't flip the tension lock off, it won't be so tight that you can't move it against it's will.

I set mine so that the throttle won't move on its own, but will move if I turn the throttle myself. Also I've always cut the flip tab by about half it's length...Makes it easier to move my thumb around it when I don't want to touch it.

I set mine so that the throttle won't move on its own, but will move if I turn the throttle myself.

+1 on what Monk said. When a throttle lock is properly set it will hold the throttle on it's own but is easily overcome should you need to move the throttle without unlocking the lock.

I dont' remember seeing too much chatter on here about cruise controls. Seems like audiovox is the only name that sticks in my mind.

• Member Contributer

^^^^ I run that way on the Valk - the throttle stays where you put it. If want it to shut down, you have to manually do it. Been doing this for years. I like it.

I think its funny that harleys have come with a throttle lock from the factory since the 50's. I bed 75 percent of HD owners dont even know it is there. it is that little star there in the middle.

HD-Conv97-RtGrip-bw-lg.jpg

Again, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely pick up the palm rest, however, I think the throttle-lock might get in the way of the AT/MT switch on the handle bar. If so, I guess I'll have to go with the cruise control. I'll be taking a trip to Toronto from Lansing, MI in a few months and don't want to be stopping every forty five minutes to excercise my wrist...

Yup, this will work. Questions, though. You spin the end the same direction as opening the throttle. When you're already going 75mph, how do you do this without going 120? Do you just back off the throttle before you engage? Do you develop a "feel" for it as you get more experience?

Yup, this will work. Questions, though. You spin the end the same direction as opening the throttle. When you're already going 75mph, how do you do this without going 120? Do you just back off the throttle before you engage? Do you develop a "feel" for it as you get more experience?

I had a set on my Beemer, but forgot the Pacifics, I do remember that it worked from the 1st day. I just slid my little finger over the end to set/release.

I do remember that I wish it had a little more grip.......... but they only made one type then...... now they have them with groves and/or a rough surface, that I'd suggest getting.

Yes, I second that they are 2 different options. I use a both on a long trip. I have the Brake Away brand of throttle lock, it is definitely the easiest to use. They don't list it fitting the VFR, but the sport model does bolt on, just the front brake disengage does not reach correctly.

• Member Contributer

Just looked at electronic cruise controls. $1100. Wow, I think the Throttlemeister is for me!

Look at Audiovox. They make both a vacuum and an electronic version of cruise controls. Very inexpensive, too.

• Member Contributer

I installed an Audiovox cruise control on my Pacific Coast, back in 2007. I had to install an extra vacuum reservior, because the motorcycle engine does not pull enough vacuum to operate the cruise contro servo during extended runs on the highway. It works OK, but not as consistently as it would in an automobile. After 5 years and 75,000 miles, its performance has started to degrade. It will take the set speed and work for a few miles, then for some unknown reason "drop out", as if I pulled the brake or clutch lever. I have checked the vacuum circuit with my mighty-vac, and the brake light circuit as well. I think the problem is in the control unit.

My VFR has a throttle-meister on it. It works just as well in my opinion, and certainly does not have the issues that the Audiovox cruise control has. I may well remove the electronic CC and replace with a throttle-meister. Jeff J.

• Member Contributer

Another vote for Throttlemeister...clean look, works like a champ.

• Member Contributer

WARNING! Throttle Rocker is dangerous. My story: practicing cloverleafs on local free interchange I drifted wide of the turn, hit a curb and ended up sliding across a traffic land and landed on a median. I have no recollection of the actual crash. I woke up in the hospital. I called the LEO to find out what happened and the reconstructed the accident for me. He suggested I had been applying presure to countersteer and unknowingly applied a slight amount of presure to the Throttle Rocker, slightly adding speed that sent me wide of my intended course. The last thing I remember was: LOOK TO THE EXIT! WHY IS THIS THING NOT GOING THERE! The LEO (a biker himself) explained he had a fellow officer tell him he was convinced that exactly that same thing occured to him and he is sure it was the throttle control. I was advised to use the Rocker only on long-distance trips, if at all.

I've never used one since.

WARNING! Throttle Rocker is dangerous. He suggested I had been applying presure to countersteer and unknowingly applied a slight amount of presure to the Throttle Rocker, slightly adding speed that sent me wide of my intended course.

I'm not saying that the rocker doesn't have the ability to cause a problem........ It's my understanding that while applying CSteer and a little increase in throttle, would cause the bike to turn more into the turn, not go wide. Where as applying the brake would cause the bike to straighten out and go wide......

Anyone have some knowledge on this.

I'm not questioning what you said, I'm questioning the Policemans opinion........

I have had the same dreaded throttle rocker "jolt" You cruise down the highway for hours, the on the first exit ramp, you forget it is there and it is such a surprise when the bike lurches forward and you didnt tell it to. This is the reason I bought throttlemeisters.

Archived