Enhanced license vs Passport

Guest bbenthin

Guest bbenthin

Looking for some advice on boarder crossing for a trip some friends and I have planned for late this summer.

We'll be starting in the Seattle area, riding to Flathead Lake, MT, then punching north into Canada headed for Calgary, Edmonton, Banff and Finally Vancouver before heading home. Should be epic!

My question is, can you cross into Alberta from Montana on a Washington State enhanced drivers license or do I need a passport?

From the research I've done on the EDL, it doesn't look like Montana and Alberta issue them. But it isn't clear whether they still recognize them from states that issue them or not.

Anyone have recent experience with this?

Thanks

We need a passport to go from Canada to the USA so I assume you will need one to go the other way.

It's all part of the USA's way to make it easier for illegals/terrorist to cross our borders. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I went up thru/to Canada in 2009 and 2010..........both times Canada asked for Passport. Start now and you will not have any issues with getting a Passport.

I went up thru/to Canada in 2009 and 2010..........both times Canada asked for Passport. Start now and you will not have any issues with getting a Passport.

This EDL thing is new so it's good, but as you say the op has time to get a real PP . If I were going to cross borders I'd go for the PP instead of the EDL as well, then it's good for everywhere, you never know if you're going to win a trip to EU, etc.

• Member Contributer

You should be ok with your enhanced licence but check to be sure. It's part of a joint agreement between our governments to make border crossing easier.

I have a BC Canadian enhanced licence and have no problem using it to cross the border.

They have a chip that contain the info a passport does. They are only good for land or sea border crossings though, not by air.

• Member Contributer

:+1:

I was also asked by both Canadian and US border agents for a PP when crossing last summer. While I have no experience with the EDL, there does seem to be some leeway by homeland sec agents as to how they follow procedure, much the way TSA procedures seem to vary from one airport to another. When I cross, I want the best possiblity that the border agent will be satisfied with my credentials, so I carry a PP. Not saying the EDL won't work - just that a PP is certain to be acceptable at all checkpoints.

• Member Contributer

My question is, can you cross into Alberta from Montana on a Washington State enhanced drivers license or do I need a passport?

As far as I know, until recently the reason to have a passport was to enter the US, whether as a furriner or a returning citizen. Canada would allow entry on other ID. There's been some recent 'harmonization', so I don't know what changed. That said, get a passport. What would you do if Rossi asked you to help out at Mugello on short notice? :tongue:

Glenn

Thanks guys, time to blow the dust off the passport and renew. The EDL is less than half the price, it's always with you and one less thing to lose which makes it an attractive alternative. Monk, I read that link before posting and couldn't definitively tell whether I'd be hassled about it crossing into non-participating Provinces.

Safe > Sorry = Passport.

Thanks gents!

One thing that just came to mind, is that some places want to hold on to your PP (like hotels,etc.). So If the only thing one has is a EDL, that may bring on problems like driving w/out a license,etc.

Thanks guys, time to blow the dust off the passport and renew. The EDL is less than half the price, it's always with you and one less thing to lose which makes it an attractive alternative. Monk, I read that link before posting and couldn't definitively tell whether I'd be hassled about it crossing into non-participating Provinces.

Safe > Sorry = Passport.

Thanks gents!

I tried Copy/paste on the section that I thought would cover your question, but there must be some site block of their's that won't allow it.

Get a pass port. It is the only type of ID that you can count on for re-entry into the US if there are any issues with border closings etc. As far as allowing a hotel to hold my pass port - I have traveled extensively overseas as a civilian and have never left my pass port with anyone at a hotel. I was at one hotel while in France that asked for it so I found another hotel. Once out of the US of A a US pass port is your only proof that you are an American citizen so my advice is never let it out of your possession except for validation at a POE. Just my $.02

• 3 months later...

as a matter of re-entry into the US by US citizens, folks, if you're a citizen, they can't refuse you entry to your own country. they can certainly F with you for a few hours while they figure out who you are, but remember, ICE has access to your DMV record AND photo, so positive ID can certainly be made.

I'm a naturalized US citizen, and since canada also sees me as a citizen since I was born and raised there, they cant really refuse me entry either. :-))

canadian border crossing for me, and I do it probably 8 times/year for years now, always seems a hassle. the canadians always insult my US citizenship, quiz me on my exact plans and I get searched about 1/2 the time...whatever, I just play with my iphone while they waste time. They dug into my saddle bags the last time and I had everything vaccum packed...they did however go on a search for a vaccuum cleaner for me to re seal it so I could actually get back on my way.

to their credit however as well, they detained me once 'cause my lips were blue and wantedme to warm up before continuing...it was VERY cold in north idaho!!!

US border re-entry is always a breeze - they are severely trained what to look for, and im NOT it. lol.

• Member Contributer

hahahahaha the above is soooooooooooooo the reverse if you try as a tourist to enter the USA.......

Do the Canadians make you declare your intent to travel into the USA electronically in advance,

make you answer questions on-line they repeat twice more (on paper and verbally),

charge $ for the pleasure

and once you get to the international arrivals hall intend to let you queue up for about 3 hours?

Take your fingerprints and pictures?

Hey, TMAC was worth the abuse......... :laugh:

For the record: there is NOTHING wrong with securing your border, but there are/must be more efficient and less labor intensive (your tax dollars) to organise matters and make tourists feel somewhat welcome.

bonne chance! :tour:

• Member Contributer

Get a passport. I went to Canada in 2006 before the new requirements. They all but anally probed me and my bike, including putting my hard bags on the pavement and scratching them and leaving my stuff strewn about for me to repack. Dozens of folks that had passports were only asked a couple of questions and waved on through. When I returned to the US, the border guards just asked if I had a good time and sent me on my way.

On a previous trip at a different crossing point, I enjoyed watching the US Border Beagle search for agricultural contraband. He caught several violators.

• Member Contributer

Passport. I think the whole EDL thing is for a limited number of places like Detroit/Windsor where a BUNCH of people go back and forth every day.

I was back there a year ago and coming back from Canada into Detroit the ICE took my passport and ran it thru the scanner, paused a few seconds and asked "Contractor?" "Yup." Smiled and let us through.

• Member Contributer

There's also a "Passport Card" that is the size of a credit card and good for land and sea passage between the US, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. I have one in addition to my Passport.

Passport is the way to go. Just got mine for a trip up north. It was easy. By comparison, New York State wanted my firstborn (and most of the cost of a passport, anyway) for an EDL.

Archived