Need Low Cost Top Case Solution to add to OEM Hard bags.

Africord

• Member Contributer

Like the title says, I have OEM hard bags on my 6th gen. I already use a soft tailbag on the pillion area of the seat, but am looking for more storage. I'd like to add a top case for a lot less than the $400-$500 I have seen online. I've looked at the SW-Motech solution, the Honda solution, and the Krauser solution. I'd like end up with 40 to 50 liters of hard case storage in the top case. Do I just need to focus on Craigslist and Ebay?

• Member Contributer

go to a junk yard.. chop of the back of a acura legend .. weld to a rack and install..

you will have a trunk big enough to stash another vfr, comes with snazzy lights, made by honda and best of all...

no more excuses of " i didnt see him"!!

:goofy:

just messin with ya.

call the salvage yards close to you. my pal got some bags for 50 bucks.. they needed to be plastic welded and given a 5 coat $5 paint job. but worked great. :fing02:

Bought this top box at a Re-Store (of all places) for 15 bucks. It came with a plate to mount it on. Since my sergeant seat is 2 peices, I bolted the plate to the back seat and viola, job done. I dont use it often and I NEVER take a passenger, so no prob there. I used this set up to get to the fall ride in upstate NY and back with no problems. Not the greatest set up in the world, but it was 15 bucks and it works.

006-4.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's my current set up from a trip this last summer. I tend to take the "kitchen sink" with me to avoid laundry and have the tools to fix most everything mechanical. I probably could cut back since I picked up AMA road coverage earlier this year.

• Member Contributer

Here ya go:

I_277022_SW_1.jpg

I've had one for 4 years now.

It survived a major crash and a few minor ones.

The only downside that I see and the reason why mine is in the garage, is the thin ass mounting plate, which cracks and falls apart after a coupla K miles.

I can't wait to find a better replacement plate and put my top case back where it belongs.

Other than that, it is a quality piece for under $100. Can't beat that.

P.S.

I use SW Motech rack and just read that Givi mounting plate will fit this box.

Not having owned anything Givi, I can't tell if there are differences between monokey and monolock (whatever that means) and how they may affect fitment.

Hijack...

Would appreciate some schooling in the Givi nomenclature and its meaning.

• Member Contributer

Here ya go:

I_277022_SW_1.jpg

I have the same Givi E46 I think it's called. It will hold two FF helmets or a bunch of other crap. Don't know what thin mounting plate was referred to, but mine is a beefy thinck plastic one from Givi that seems solid...I will be surprised if it fails. I bought my setup from a member here. Watch the classifieds here or ebay, people want to sell bikes and part out their accessories...you should be able to find a good deal.

• Member Contributer

If you have a pillion ride with you, this is a good setup as I have since added a pad to the case for her comfort. Also when solo, it gives you the whole pillion seating area to tie down tents and other crap!

Monolock and monokey are NOT interchangeable. The regular bags are monoKEY, and the mounts are wider than the monoLOCK and

the monolock are only topcases.

Bought this top box at a Re-Store (of all places) for 15 bucks. It came with a plate to mount it on. Since my sergeant seat is 2 peices, I bolted the plate to the back seat and viola, job done. I dont use it often and I NEVER take a passenger, so no prob there. I used this set up to get to the fall ride in upstate NY and back with no problems. Not the greatest set up in the world, but it was 15 bucks and it works.

006-4.jpg

GO SKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Here ya go:

I_277022_SW_1.jpg

I have the same Givi E46 I think it's called. It will hold two FF helmets or a bunch of other crap. Don't know what thin mounting plate was referred to, but mine is a beefy thinck plastic one from Givi that seems solid...I will be surprised if it fails. I bought my setup from a member here. Watch the classifieds here or ebay, people want to sell bikes and part out their accessories...you should be able to find a good deal.

These are not Givi boxes. They are JCWhitney and cost under $100 new. Delivered.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Timmy!

According to what I've read on HERE Givi Monokey mounting plate fits the large JCW case, which is what I have.

Lessee what they go for on fleabay...

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone. I'm considering the JCW/SW-Motech combination. New it looks to be a significant savings. But since I'm to the end of touring season and will be seeing snow within the month, I think I'll troll on fleabay for a deal.

• Member Contributer

I have a Givi E45NJ up for sale - huge, barely used. Makes an exceptional top case. $100 shipped CONUS.

• 2 weeks later...

BUy a cheap top case - and a Kanadian Ken SOlo Rack (if its a 6th GEn you have). If you buy something other than Honda or Givi - you'll have to drill your own mounting holes.

shameless plug, sorry! ;)

• 3 months later...

Kind of a Bump but,

Thanks to this thread i ordered the Large JCwhitney case. says in the description they reworked the mounting bracket to make it stronger and the reviews were really good.

I will update when i get it.

today is the last day of a promo for free shipping.

Archived