Hi-Viz Gear (Helmet and Jacket)

c7j6y1

OK with me being new here and I cant seem to master the search function of the site think i'll just ask

Heres What I'm looking for... HI ViZ!

Ive known too many friends get dented from idiots, (mainly one who rides a matte black Gixxer, with Black gear, Matte helmet, at night hes just a very loud very fast black shadow.. cant see him for shit)

Ive only found a few HI-Viz Helmets and jackets (not suits)

what do ya'll recommend... and keep in mind.. This is Texas, where its 100+ for 4-5 months out of the year.

Im not really liking the Olympia jackets, the collar bugs me.

However Ive Tried of the ICON Mil-spec and so far its my favorite.

Helmets however are another issue... It seems theres only a few Hi-Viz helmets. Im also on the fence about a modular or not... I have been looking at the Scorpion EXO900 Transformer, but im pretty open to recommendations.

Thanks Guys..

p.s. I know looking like a Highlighter isnt the best Fashion wise.. but i like living.. sooo

p.p.s. Im also 6ft 3 220, and i have to order a size bigger than chest size cause I have long monkey arms... (if only somebody made a "tall" sized jacket

I love my Teknic Freeway jacket. Bought a black one 3 years ago and have worn it from 7 degrees to 107 degrees. I liked it some much, I bough the same exact jacket in Hi-Viz when one came up on ebay.

BwDdygmkKGrHqJiEv10HgThBMHO3TF7n_12.jpg

as far as helms go, I know Scorpion, Arai, Shoei and Nolan make models in Hi-Viz.

Scooter will be along shortly....he is the Hi-Viz Block Captain.

• Member Contributer

I tried several brands, but Olympia was all I've been able to find that fit my monkey arms - and the collar bugs me. I just leave it open usually. Hope you find something, I've been kinda wanting a new jacket for the summer.

• Member Contributer

Though not strictly hi-viz, I went with a solid white helmet. Though I'm mixed on the look, it does seem to stick out from the background (certainly at night) and maybe an added benefit is that some people seem to think it's a cop behind them. :biggrin:

Hi shorty, I'm 6-6 and 220. FirstGear makes tall jackets. Check out motorcyclegear. They have a FirstGear in dayglow/black on sale:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/jackets_and_vests/mesh_jackets/first_gear/2010_rush_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

Thats Awesome! thanks! I always try and sit on a bike when trying on jackets so that i can make sure that i get the sleeves to extend all the way to my wrist.. and preferably an inch or two onto my hands

Talking about H-Viz Gear, I do have a H-V jacket, but also wear subdued clothing as well.......... We all know, we go where we look. That brings up the fact that cage drivers do the same thing, and the longer they look at something the longer they're going to be moving in that direction..................US..............I've noticed that when I'm wearing my H-V jacket that the on coming cages get a longer fix on me, which is good and bad............ It's said that we should ride like we're invisible.........It's just good to remember that wearing things that draw to much attention can be a problem as well.

That being said.......

They are coming out with some really nice styled H-V gear that will draw riders that are kicking it around whether to wear or not wear H-V. More choices of colours, even though it's been tested order of best is Orange/yellow/lime green?........... There are other colours that even though they may not be on the best list, they are still H-V, and can be seen easily, and may work better if they don't draw to much attention, but just enough to be seen.

When i was in the miltiary, I was basically forced to wear refector belts and stuff every time i stepped on the flightline... Which was often (i was a loadmaster on C-130s )

Through my personal views, and these are totally unscientific but i always noticed the Yellow over the Orange. and besides the Orange to me screams out Construction far more than Yellow does

Also Modular or no? and who makes the helmets with the internal sunvisor in addition to the faceshield

• Member Contributer

When i was in the miltiary, I was basically forced to wear refector belts and stuff every time i stepped on the flightline... Which was often (i was a loadmaster on C-130s )

Through my personal views, and these are totally unscientific but i always noticed the Yellow over the Orange. and besides the Orange to me screams out Construction far more than Yellow does

Also Modular or no? and who makes the helmets with the internal sunvisor in addition to the faceshield

Your only hi-viz helmet option with the internal sunshield is the Scorpoion EXO-900. It checks all the boxes except one - it's poorly made and has parts that break all the time. Ask me how I know - Scorpion has sent me bits and bobs twice to replace various broken plastic parts at no charge, so even they know there is a problem. It also fits a narrow head better. The Schuberth C3 is the bomb though but I cannot afford spending 700 bucks on one.

A white HJC Symax 2 at $130 is a decent buy. Another outstanding modular not in hi-viz available in white is the Nolan N90 with Pinlock (not the N90S) available for about $225. I so wish Nolan makes a hiviz model.

I am eagerly waiting for the Caberg Konda Hi-Vizion edition to be sold in the US to see how that fits.

Once you have an internal sun shield it's hard to live without one. It's great in hot weather when you can leave your faceshield open and still have eye protection. Not having to pack 2 face shields is a big plus

As for a modular I think it offers the best compromise of protection and convenience.

Visit this site for detailed ratings on Modular helmets including information on whether the flip-up chinbar stays closed when subjected to test impacts.

SHARP UK

For a hot weather jacket try to Olympia Airglide - another decent compromise between protection and comfort in hot weather.

I'll let you in on another secret about HiViz gear - Disclaimer: Purely Unscientific Observation - HiViz equals "Diplomatic Immunity" from L.O. It almost seems that since you want to be noticed they probably figure you're a safety nut with a Halo round your head !

Yeah i got the secret squirrelness about hiviz.. being former LEO, and knowing dozens of motor cops in the DFW metro.. a commonly shared theory is the more visible you attempt to be, the less likely it was you doing stupid shit... so "i know i clocked somebody on a bike doing 95... but it couldnt have been the dude WANTING to be seen.... I think i'll go after the guy on the red CBR with loudpipes and no jacket"

Tourmaster transitions makes a nice HI-Viz jacket.

FYI... For the Tall guys out there... Also figured out that Tourmaster also makes their jackets in a TALL sizing...

• Member Contributer

oxford-of404_xl_a.jpg

http://www.motorfietsalarm.nl/motorfiets-kleding.htm#vest4

Elastic sides so it streches over your existing jacket and doesnot flap in the wind

The brand is Oxford, dunno if they have an US distributor

• Member Contributer

I am going to just paint my helmet the brightest flourescent color I can find.

I will let you know how it goes, but since I recommend hi-viz gear to everyone, I am willing to bet I will soon be recommending that everyone does this.

I accidentally went for a ride the other day without my hi viz vest. Within 10 minutes I heard a screeching behind me, I car came so close to rear-ending me she slammed on her brakes so hard the she ended up sideways in the other lane at a stop light.

Whereas cars have avoided me for the past 10,000 miles with the vest.

Hi Viz is definitely the way to go, I'm hoping with the helmet being up highest having some flourescent up there will help.

• Member Contributer
  • 3 weeks later...

Hein Gericke, European company company make some nice stuff. Very High Viz.

New laws trying to be passed in the EU currently for bikers. Mandatory High Viz jacket. So look at some of the EU makers, i bet they have a huge range in the pipeline for this law, if it passes.

New laws trying to be passed in the EU currently for bikers. Mandatory High Viz jacket.

I thought that was only a proposal for France?

But yes, there is allready a lot available. I don't have any high viz stuff other than a vest I can wear in case of a road side breakdown (mandatory in some countries). But the elastic jacket Dutchy mentions is nice and several manufacturers have them in their line-up, like Kushitani and Macna.

hihgviz.jpg

The Kushitani vest (left) is also great after sunset because of the reflective 3M material, highly recommendable.

• Member Contributer

I have the Icon Military Spec Vest ( Yellow ) from New Enough. You can spot me a mile away. Vest is mesh, adjustable on the sides ( no velcro ) and the shoulder / under the arms portion of the vest are snug enough to fit to the body without having a lot of material flapin in the wind. I had the FirstGear vest for about 4 hours and after my windy ride experience in the open plains of Alberta I returned back to the dealer. The front pocket is big enough to carry a IPOD/ wallet etc and the vest cleans easy. The best thing is that when vehicles come up to you they slow down because they see the vest, not sure if your a cop or whatever. When they realize your no the local 5-0, they pass you. it works and well worth the money.

link @ Motorcycle gear ( AKA New Enough )

MIL SPEC VEST YELLOW

I have the Icon Military Spec Vest ( Yellow ) from New Enough. You can spot me a mile away. Vest is mesh, adjustable on the sides ( no velcro ) and the shoulder / under the arms portion of the vest are snug enough to fit to the body without having a lot of material flapin in the wind. I had the FirstGear vest for about 4 hours and after my windy ride experience in the open plains of Alberta I returned back to the dealer. The front pocket is big enough to carry a IPOD/ wallet etc and the vest cleans easy. The best thing is that when vehicles come up to you they slow down because they see the vest, not sure if your a cop or whatever. When they realize your no the local 5-0, they pass you. it works and well worth the money.

link @ Motorcycle gear ( AKA New Enough )

MIL SPEC VEST YELLOW

Also have this vest. Gets you some respect, even when walking on the street. I have just purchased a While Shoei X-12 which should make me look even more like a cop. Now I just need to paint the VFR white and put a modulator on it and will be all set.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I truly feel like wearing the high viz vest makes for less close calls. I hate riding without it.

I have a Vega Nylon vest in both yellow and orange. I feel like the orange is easier to see in the day and the yellow at night, but I am not sure if that is just me... It is not mesh like the Vega vest sold on motorcycle superstore - it looks more like the Icon version. It is very well made. The elastic laces on the side keep it tight and the material is stiff and does not blow in the wind. I wear a Dainese Zen jacket, and I actually like the way the jacket fits better with the vest tight over it. Also, the vest has two pockets with velcro-close flaps on the back that can carry a bottle of water or other bulky items, which is a good feature.

One thing... the material of the vest probably blocks airflow from the perforated areas of the jacket torso, so it probably makes things a bit hotter.

The pic is a friend wearing the vest over a mesh jacket. As you can see, the reflective areas shine pretty bright.

IMAG0251

• Member Contributer

One of my jackets is a black and textile fabric. I recently purchased a high visibility green vest to wear over it. It made a big difference. I could see the cagers really noticing me more. Also consider putting reflective tape all around your motorcycle. I highly recommend high visibility clothing.

Archived