Matte black helmets

FrankoQ

I need a new helmet and want something to match the bike color (matte black).

Not a boring solid color. So I'm looking for some graphics on the matte black

What do you guys with Asphalt 04's have?

Please post a pic and identify the helmet.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I don't have pics but I used to have a matte black icon airframe, icon calls it rubatone. It was a great helmet, but there were no graphic. My buddy has a KBC helmet that is matte black. I think it's a VR1X. But the KBC matte black helmet came with several really good looking graphics options that were all matte black and matte dark grey. I'd go look at those if I were you.

I don't have pics but I used to have a matte black icon airframe, icon calls it rubatone. It was a great helmet, but there were no graphic. My buddy has a KBC helmet that is matte black. I think it's a VR1X. But the KBC matte black helmet came with several really good looking graphics options that were all matte black and matte dark grey. I'd go look at those if I were you.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm now looking at the Icon Alliance Rat. So far, this is the only matte black with graphics that I can find.

post-13939-0-68994200-1308313418_thumb.j

I also had a rubatone Airframe from Icon previously and while I really liked the look the one problem that came up with it was fingerprints. I had some dude with wicked oily hands come by and touch it and I literally never got them off. I could see his giant mitt-prints until the day I switched to my new helmet. It might have just been me and no one else may have noticed it, but it was enough that I don't think I'll get another "flat" finish helmet :dry:

If that's what you like though, check out Icon's lineup. I know they have a couple of Airframe models that are matte finish with some wild graphics (examples below). The helmets are pretty nice, but I found them a little louder than some of my others as far as wind noise.

post-20693-0-27706700-1308313711_thumb.jpost-20693-0-93378200-1308313733_thumb.j

I also had a rubatone Airframe from Icon previously and while I really liked the look the one problem that came up with it was fingerprints. I had some dude with wicked oily hands come by and touch it and I literally never got them off. I could see his giant mitt-prints until the day I switched to my new helmet. It might have just been me and no one else may have noticed it, but it was enough that I don't think I'll get another "flat" finish helmet :dry:

If that's what you like though, check out Icon's lineup. I know they have a couple of Airframe models that are matte finish with some wild graphics (examples below). The helmets are pretty nice, but I found them a little louder than some of my others as far as wind noise.

post-20693-0-27706700-1308313711_thumb.jpost-20693-0-93378200-1308313733_thumb.j

Good point on the fingerprint issue.

This really helps me come up with more requirements:

- no wild graphics (that's why the Alliance Rat is looking good)

- Quiet. Noise level is important. I currently have an Arai Quantum and I love it. It was perfect with my 94 red VFR. But it is now old and does not match with the asphalt color.

- fingerprint marks. I could live with that, but this issue and the lack of color options might steer me towards a shiny black.

The search continues...

• Member Contributer

http://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-EXO-400-Solid-Matte-Helmet/dp/B001ZUHVL0

My first lid. Decent quality with a great screen (anti-fog coating that actually works) and it's quiet. It isn't the lightest out there and with the matte black, it gets hot. You have been warned. For the price though it's hard to argue with.

• Member Contributer

Scorpion exo1000

41K-PmXo-%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

However, my gripe is that it really doesn't flow much air (if any at all)...

• Member Contributer

I have this helmet in the white/red/carbon, but also comes in these colors

51px-35GxTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Carbon_Black_Grey_01xr123020_detail.jpg

The helmet is the lightest out there (2lbs 9 oz, for a large), is super quiet, and flows air incredibly well. All of this comes at a price though......

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nexx-xr1r-carbon-helmet

I had a flat black Rubatone helmet for a few years. I would not recommend it for several reasons.

1) It is impossible to clean all signs of bug guts off of it. (or oil as mentioned in an earlier post) It will always look dirty.

2) Visibility. You want a helmet that is as visible as possible. Flat black is near invisible to a motorist. Choose a bright color scheme that includes colors like neon green or orange that can be seen from a mile away. It is better for your helmet to not match the bike than to be dead or incapacitated.

I had a flat black Rubatone helmet for a few years. I would not recommend it for several reasons.

1) It is impossible to clean all signs of bug guts off of it. (or oil as mentioned in an earlier post) It will always look dirty.

2) Visibility. You want a helmet that is as visible as possible. Flat black is near invisible to a motorist. Choose a bright color scheme that includes colors like neon green or orange that can be seen from a mile away. It is better for your helmet to not match the bike than to be dead or incapacitated.

Very good points!

Thanks for the feedback.

• Member Contributer

Very good points!

Thanks for the feedback.

Adding to (2), the helmet is the highest point on your ride. Make it visible. :cheerleader:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/1193020262/gallery_2925_3426_13250.jpg

• Member Contributer

04 Matte Black here, I bought this. Arai Profile Banda - black and white - crappy stock pic - get a dark visor, and it looks good. If it were in Matte Black it'd be great, or buy an 06 or 08 I guess.

post-15586-0-19889300-1308348248_thumb.j

Thanks for all the feedback.

After all your comments, I have had a change of heart and went 180 the opposite direction.

No Matte helmet. why?

- I don't want to deal with finger prints all over.

- I realized I want to consider safety and being visible.

So, I'm getting a white helmet with some graphics on it. The Shoei RF-1100 All for under $500 including the Chrome shield.

My local shop is running a sale. 25% off any one item for father's day. it ends today.

this is a crappy photoshop job but I wanted to see the helmet with the chrome shield versus the gold shield.

post-13939-0-39915000-1308392227_thumb.j

Good choice on a Shoei, I just got an RF1100 in Vivid Orange with a gold shield, great helmet, tested it in some heavy rain last weekend, no leaks :)

My other helmet is Arai RX7 flat black, no complaints with fingerprints, the only issue is the fit, too close to my chin

I'm doing to decorate both with black reflective vinyl, just need to come up with an original idea...

• Member Contributer

chrome wont get you home

but black will get you back

VariantHelmetBlackRubatoneFront_zoom.jpg

Yep! :biggrin: My helmet is matte black with no stickers but I like the designs posted.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the feedback.

After all your comments, I have had a change of heart and went 180 the opposite direction.

No Matte helmet. why?

- I don't want to deal with finger prints all over.

- I realized I want to consider safety and being visible.

So, I'm getting a white helmet with some graphics on it. The Shoei RF-1100 All for under $500 including the Chrome shield.

My local shop is running a sale. 25% off any one item for father's day. it ends today.

this is a crappy photoshop job but I wanted to see the helmet with the chrome shield versus the gold shield.

if visible is what you want................

Chaser%20Fluor%20Yellow%20L1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yours are the same general reasons I currently ride with this;

41vIbuqlorL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I like it mostly but it doesn't flow a lot of air with the integrate chin skirt, I feel like my breath just stays in a pocket in front of my face. You can pop the screen open on one edge though which helps.

• Member Contributer

The red sports car I had was really visible yet still rear- ended 3 times. Current car is grey with no accidents. Just sayin.. :).

I do have reflective tape all over my bike though. Love that stuff!

Archived