Shots from a Tankbag camera

BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

I carry two cameras on tour. Currently, I use a RAM mounted point and shoot waterproof fixed focal length and an old Kodak mega zoom (in its day) P&S. Well I need an upgrade of my tankbag camera.

See my RAM camera experiences here.

My Kodak 7590 has performed admirably over the years. Indeed it has provided yeoman service.

Lassen.

med_gallery_2144_2004_750125.jpg

Have to a have a Yosemite in there.

med_gallery_2144_2004_495349.jpg

Alaska

2639709660099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Cascade Highway - Diablo Lake

med_gallery_2144_4694_450694.jpg

Big Bend Texas

2461516460099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

But the Kodak is tired and like any old person it keeps "falling" down plus lets face it just about any new camera would provide better picture quality. Plus I have a serious case of "I wants" or "What have you done for me lately?" While I have a new Nikon DSLR, I am loath to bring it on a long tour so what do I get?

Here are some of my requirements for a tour tankbag camera:

• Small is better since I stuff a lot of stuff in my tankbag on tour. Even the new Mega Zooms P&S (20X and above) are too big in my mind.
  • At least a 10X zoom but I could be convinced to get a smaller zoom if the picture quality was so much better as I could crop later to get the perspective I wanted.
  • I would not have a heart attack if I dropped it one too many times or it got stolen on tour.
  • Relatively fast shooting since sometimes a shot only comes around once in a lifetime although my RAM setup often allows fast shots. I missed a lot of grizzly shots in Alaska - drat!!!
  • Picture quality almost as good as a DSLR? Can we do that?

Got any more must haves?

So you are cruising around in New Mexico and it just dawns or dusks on you that you need to stop for that once in a lifetime shot. Some other guy took this - right? In this case I think it is more to do with the composition rather than the gear?

08_lg.jpg

For a tank bag camera, I lean towards the new Nikon 8100 as it has a 10X Zoom which is handy. The Panasonic DMC-ZS5k or 7 (GPS) looks good too although it does get panned (sorry) a bit for low light shots. The Canon SX210 is another candidate and is recommended by Ken Rockwell http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm .

I wonder whether the lens/sensor advantages of the Canon S95, G12 or the new Olympus XZ-1 (released at CES) tip the scale compared to the higher mechanical zooms of the first bunch?

Got any ideas or thoughts?? Or do you just suck it up and go with a DSLR and guard it with Marines and bubble wrap!

• Member Contributer

Not lots of feedback here but...

I had a chance to really look at and handle the COOLPIX S8100 yesterday. It is smaller than what I have but with equal zoom and of course the typical leap in performance. The camera is small enough to be pocketed in a Stich although the primary store location would be in the tankbag.

Nikon 8100 review

One potential negative is that the battery recharges in the camera. While this saves carrying the "optional charger" it means that you can not leave the camera charging in a campground restroom/head while you are doing something else. I always carry two batteries for my tour cameras as sometimes I not can get to AC power when I need it. Recently though I have been carrying an inverter as well for emergencies (dead cell phone for example).

S8100.jpg

• Member Contributer

From my experience selling this stuff, reading reviews, dealing with happy and not so happy :) customers etc. I'd say the lens/sensor is always worth it, the Canon S95/G12 have been our best selling camera's this Christmas again, the Canon Gxx series have consistently been the best rated point and shoot camera for years now, they are just not the smallest of cameras, the S95 has the same sensor just in a smaller, less featured package, either one of these would be my first choice, after that if you wanted a longer zoom the Panasonic ZS7 would be my next choice, it might not be the "best" in low light but it's still good and better than the others in all other situations.

Saying all that, most of the cameras from the major manufacturers are good, but the old adage "you get what you pay for" still stands when it comes to most of these, some are just being discontinued now though as the next years models are starting to be announced so if you keep your eyes open you might be lucky and get a good clearance deal.

The Nikon looks like a good choice especially when the claim that it performs well in low light conditions.

One potential negative is that the battery recharges in the camera. While this saves carrying the "optional charger" it means that you can not leave the camera charging in a campground restroom/head while you are doing something else.

But you can also charge it when it is sitting in your tankbag using a 12V=>USB plug.

• Member Contributer

BonusVFR,

First off, thanks for the thread " Tales of Spot ". Bought 1 just a few days ago.

Second. I also have been looking for a small tank bag camer for the last 2 months and have it down to the Canon SD4500. The dealer I spoke with took me out side and demo'd it for me. Long range, speed burst for the vehicles going by was unreal. So is the price tag..... It was $429. and now sits at $369.00. As I will not need one for about 4 month for the first trip I take. i can wait. check it out.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sd4500_is#Specifications

• Member Contributer

From my experience selling this stuff, reading reviews, dealing with happy and not so happy :) customers etc. I'd say the lens/sensor is always worth it, the Canon S95/G12 have been our best selling camera's this Christmas again, the Canon Gxx series have consistently been the best rated point and shoot camera for years now, they are just not the smallest of cameras, the S95 has the same sensor just in a smaller, less featured package, either one of these would be my first choice, after that if you wanted a longer zoom the Panasonic ZS7 would be my next choice, it might not be the "best" in low light but it's still good and better than the others in all other situations.

Saying all that, most of the cameras from the major manufacturers are good, but the old adage "you get what you pay for" still stands when it comes to most of these, some are just being discontinued now though as the next years models are starting to be announced so if you keep your eyes open you might be lucky and get a good clearance deal.

Yea the S95 tickles my fancy too. Strongly recommended by Ken Rockwell too (not for MC use but as a general P&S).

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s95.htm

Despite the smaller zoom, I guess one can always crop your pictures as you have enough resolution/quality now.

2234756820099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

And look at that nail picked up on a crop.

2053522220099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

The Nikon looks like a good choice especially when the claim that it performs well in low light conditions.

One potential negative is that the battery recharges in the camera. While this saves carrying the "optional charger" it means that you can not leave the camera charging in a campground restroom/head while you are doing something else.

But you can also charge it when it is sitting in your tankbag using a 12V=>USB plug.

Good point!

I have a USB plug but it seems like it takes forever.................which USB plug do you use??

• Member Contributer

BonusVFR,

First off, thanks for the thread " Tales of Spot ". Bought 1 just a few days ago.

Second. I also have been looking for a small tank bag camer for the last 2 months and have it down to the Canon SD4500. The dealer I spoke with took me out side and demo'd it for me. Long range, speed burst for the vehicles going by was unreal. So is the price tag..... It was $429. and now sits at $369.00. As I will not need one for about 4 month for the first trip I take. i can wait. check it out.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sd4500_is#Specifications

Thanks ...just used my Spot again on a swing to Las Vegas with lots of miles of barren lonely roads.

CNET has some good comparisons with cameras too.

The Canon 4500

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-sd4500-is/4505-6501_7-34155825.html?tag=contentBody;compare

Another review of the 8100 from CNET.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-coolpix-s8100-black/4505-6501_7-34182242.html?tag=latestReviews

I have a USB plug but it seems like it takes forever.................which USB plug do you use??

similar to this one that I plug into the accessory socket.. If it takes forever to charge it may be the USB cable (only a sync cable, not sync & charge) or are you using e.g. the USB port of a computer/laptop to charge the device? These USB ports have only max 0.5amp output. Check your loal iPod store, they have a nice dual charger that has a 2.1A & 1A output: link.

• Member Contributer

similar to this one that I plug into the accessory socket.. If it takes forever to charge it may be the USB cable (only a sync cable, not sync & charge) or are you using e.g. the USB port of a computer/laptop to charge the device? These USB ports have only max 0.5amp output. Check your loal iPod store, they have a nice dual charger that has a 2.1A & 1A output: link.

I have a*500mA charging through each USB port* Griffin Powerjolt Dual USB device. Not a lot of beans I guess.....kinda of like my KLR! Maybe I need gear driven cams????

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerjolt-dual-universal.

I will check out the Apple store........................all their stuff is inexpensive right???????

• Member Contributer

For those looking at the really high performance P&S like the excellent Canon S95, a full review of the new Olympus ZX-1 has been posted on DPreview.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1/

In short:

The XZ-1 combines simple direct controls with an excellent lens to create probably the best photographers' compact currently available. The output JPEGs are great and the balance of lens range, brightness and compactness make it a really appealing package, whether as an only camera or as a pocketable backup for DSLR owners.

This complicates things for me. But I have some time before my next tour............at least a few weeks. :bliss:

front.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK Canon and Nikon just released new models. Two look really interesting in the zoom niche.

Nikon 9100 update to 8100

S9100_BK_top_lo.jpg

And the Canon replacement for the PowerShot SX210 is the Powershot SX230

PowerShot-SX230-HS-TOP-BLUE.jpg

The new unit has a better sensor as well as GPS (USA version). Although geotagging pictures is fairly easy with aftermarket tools to include Garmins.

New Canon tank bag sized unit with adequate zoom.

Most likely I will go for one of these sometime in March ....unfortunately after my next tour.

• Member Contributer

I'm not a big fan of geotagging on photos as there have been an increase in cyber crimes where online stalkers can track down where you live. I guess that won't be an issue if you are traveling though. That would lead them on a merry chase. :goofy:

Definitely update when you make your choice though. I am still toying with the idea of a P&S for the VFR. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Never thought about the security risk of geotagging. Turning on the GPS sucks power as well so I would only use it when touring. Right now when I tag I just use the camera clock and the GPS tracks ..............providing they are on the same time zones.

For me GPS in camera is not a must or for that matter a nice to have. I want the small size, quality and a good zoom if I can get it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Wondering if anyone has purchased a new camera yet, or, waiting like me to see what else becomes available in the next 2-3 months / price drop on current items.

My budget for the "do it all" camera is set at $250.00 because I bought the "SPOT 2" (wife was happy and feels a little more "in the know' when I am on the road).

• Forum CEO

I'm not a big fan of geotagging on photos as there have been an increase in cyber crimes where online stalkers can track down where you live. I guess that won't be an issue if you are traveling though. That would lead them on a merry chase. :goofy:

Definitely update when you make your choice though. I am still toying with the idea of a P&S for the VFR. :fing02:

I had been meaning to stalk you but jeez thats just so much work and I am too lazy! I cant click on that many photos! HEH Yes its true there are documented cases of stalkers using gps technology, one where the stalker installed a hidden gps device on his ex girlfriends car, and one where the stalker used the womans cell phones gps unit to stalk her.

• Member Contributer

I had been meaning to stalk you but jeez thats just so much work and I am too lazy! I cant click on that many photos! HEH Yes its true there are documented cases of stalkers using gps technology, one where the stalker installed a hidden gps device on his ex girlfriends car, and one where the stalker used the womans cell phones gps unit to stalk her.

I read that in an article discussing all the facebook cyber punks using simple code to pull relevant data from pics posted so they can keep track of when/where a particular person is to determine when they are not at home so as to make B&E easier. You know how kids are these days with having to share every mundane detail of their life to seem cool/relevant/normal/what-not. I went through that faze and cured it with a motorcycle. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Wondering if anyone has purchased a new camera yet, or, waiting like me to see what else becomes available in the next 2-3 months / price drop on current items.

My budget for the "do it all" camera is set at $250.00 because I bought the "SPOT 2" (wife was happy and feels a little more "in the know' when I am on the road).

The SPOT is a tour must for me! Don't leave home without it.

I saw the replacement for the Nikon 8100 at Best Buy this week. I am waiting for a review but I think the 9100 will be what I get...but I do not want to pay full retail. The size is best for what I want/need and it still packs a 18X zoom that pull in about anything.

I really like the high performance P&S like the Canon S95, Olympus XZ-1 or perhaps even the new Nikon 1.8lens Nikon P300 (smaller sensor though) but I think I need just a bit bigger zoom.

• Member Contributer

Hmmmm Nikon S8100 is only $279.00 @ Best b....... sales guy said it would be on sale within next 2 weeks.

Found a decent website that you can compare camera's My link

• Member Contributer

When I'm not lugging around about $5,000 in Nikon DLSR, lenses, and gear I'm carrying a Canon S95. Best point and shoot out there bar none in my opinion, though it's a not as long a zoom as you want and it's a little pricey. Shoots in RAW, best point and shoot out there for low light (because it has a bigger than typical sensor and Canon didn't go stupid and try to cram 20 megapixels on it), f/2.0 aperature lens, extremely user friendly for someone who likes a bit more manual control of a camera, best LCD screeen I've seen on a point and shoot, and though it only shoots 720P video it does it with stereo audio.

Whatever you get makes sure it has vibration reduction (Nikon = VR) or image stabilization (Canon = IS). Makes 3-4 stop difference when you are shooting low light or long telephoto hand held.

• Member Contributer

I looked at the S95, but $449.00 is out of the range I have allowed myslef. Still, who knows what it could drop down to in $$ value within the next 3 months.

• Member Contributer

When I'm not lugging around about $5,000 in Nikon DLSR, lenses, and gear I'm carrying a Canon S95. Best point and shoot out there bar none in my opinion, though it's a not as long a zoom as you want and it's a little pricey. Shoots in RAW, best point and shoot out there for low light (because it has a bigger than typical sensor and Canon didn't go stupid and try to cram 20 megapixels on it), f/2.0 aperature lens, extremely user friendly for someone who likes a bit more manual control of a camera, best LCD screeen I've seen on a point and shoot, and though it only shoots 720P video it does it with stereo audio.

Whatever you get makes sure it has vibration reduction (Nikon = VR) or image stabilization (Canon = IS). Makes 3-4 stop difference when you are shooting low light or long telephoto hand held.

Consistent great reviews on the Canon S95 and it is tiny. It is perfect for a tank bag or leave it in your jacket even.

So far the only thing that rivals it is the new 1.8 lens Olympus XZ-1 but I have not seen any comparison review sho....ooooot outs yet.

• Member Contributer

My wants in a small tankbag camera:

1. NO shutter lag
  2. Zoom that's sharp throughout the entire range.
  3. Prefer a movable LCD screen.
  4. Ease of use with gloves.
  5. Manual controls.
  6. RAW would be nice but not a deal breaker.

This fits my Canon Powershot A620 perfectly but they quit making that line and my poor camera is just about at it's serviceable limits. The S95 is tempting with it's good low-light capability plus it has some weight to it but I'm afraid it might be too small for my gorilla hands. The G-Series from Canon would be a good replacement for my A620 but they are too "gadgety" in my opinion and way too pricey. I keep reading more and more favorable reviews about the Lumix series but haven't had a chance to play with any. Still haven't ruled out packing a small DSLR either.

DPreview has in informative review on "Compact Travel Zooms"

Archived