Key Mod

Guest mikethaninefive

Guest mikethaninefive

I was tired of my keys laying on my gas tank so I did a little mod. I strongly suggest getting a spare key made just in case you get carried away with the trimming should you decide to try it. I also play guitar and since I can't leave anything alone I also have a bunch of parts laying around. So while digging in my parts bins for something I had a eureka moment. The topper is actually a knob (the variety of which I don't like hence the abundance in my spares bins) off a guitar I bought. after careful whittling with a dremel I managed version 1.0. Most of these knobs have a small set screw in the side and I thought that would be sufficient to clamp the key stub. It's not and it will be forever missed. Version 2.0 saw the addition of epoxy pushed into the cavity with the key stub and the result is rock solid. Aside from not scratching my tank when I fill up I think it neatens up the cockpit a little and looks a little cool too. These knobs- should you decide to try this, are very inexpensive and can be found readily at any music shop or online. Hope you like, I do! :)

post-19521-0-73218700-1291597024_thumb.j

post-19521-0-76393400-1291597079_thumb.j

post-19521-0-41859900-1291597142_thumb.j

post-19521-0-56833400-1291597187_thumb.j

That's pretty cool! :fing02:

I actually did a mod to my track bike key where I cut off the top of the key and soldered it back on at 90 deg's so it sat parallel to the ground just a air above the ign. switch. This way in a crash it didn't get bent or broke off. :blush:

• Member Contributer

Cool. :fing02:

Not that I'll go to the trouble, but nicely done. Looks clean. :beer:

Agreed. On both counts!

I just keep the key solo, so there are never more to hit the tank or the triple anyway. :fing02:

Guest mikethaninefive

thats how guzzi did their keys for ages

BMW too. My Dad's '75 R60 has that same kinda folding key. Ignition switch is on the side of the headlight... :blink:

Must be my German blood bubbling up,lol Thanks guys! :)

• Member Contributer

Must be my German blood bubbling up,lol Thanks guys! :)

:offtopic:

BMW%20S1000R%20show.jpg

aaahhh Germany................

Videos_jordan_carver_busty_oktoberfest_52517.jpg

Guest Stealth

Great! But how do you stop from loosing it?

I've got mine solo, but with a soft key tag and a short clip that allows me to connect to my other keys when not on the bike.

Guest mikethaninefive

Great! But how do you stop from loosing it?

I've got mine solo, but with a soft key tag and a short clip that allows me to connect to my other keys when not on the bike.

I never really lose anything :/ Lol But that's also why I have a key hidden on the bike ;) And Dutchy, thanks for the pics of the uhhh....Alps...... :) Thanks again guys, this is what winter makes me do,lol