Who Has "plugged"?

Monk

I had to plug my front tire on the RC on Friday before I did a weekend at Beaver Run. And followed that up with a weekend at VIR, on the same plugged front tire. As said before. If you got a new tire that needs plugged, but you won't do it. send it my way. I'll use it. I've runned a few plugged tires before. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I've saved a bundle on tires from friends that won't run one with a plug in it. I'll gladly run a plugged rear at warp speed through the corners if I'm the one that fixed it. Front tires I would still run but only for commuting.

Losing air in a rear tire at speed is not really that dramatic either. Steering gets sluggish and the bike gets all squirmy but it's nothing that can't be handled safely.

• Member Contributer

Currently running a plugged PR2 rear. Mostly commuting, but have run it VERY hard in the twisties. No issues. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

-For me the plug doesnt leak at all. I think it may come down to your install technique.

I agree with this (above).

I always make sure it is really hard to get the plug rope in. Then I don't shove that much in there. Then I give the plug a twist to get it to tighten around the tool and then yank it stright back out. Never have I had a leak.

Plugs work.

• Member Contributer

Anybody ever use one of those Stop & Go plugs long term ? Seems like it would need glue to hold up.

I checked out Stop & Go and I liked what I saw... I believe I would use it at the shop but not carry it as a inflight flat tire solution...

gallery_3131_5079_265544.jpg

[THe problem I've had and i've run near a dosen of them, they dont hold up if any road contact for very long , half the life of a worm which also has limited life

its such a neat idea, but I just didnt see the results, a slime worm as been my best external repair, but it generally starts leaking around 1000 mile or so, if you burn the throttle , youll shread plugs fairly quick if any road contact.

I dont bother with the external mushrooms any more

gallery_3131_5079_265544.jpg

• Member Contributer

I may be completely wrong, but if a plugged tire is holding pressure and the repair is inspected every ride and looks good, what's the problem? It seems like we've got a lot of positive experiences with plugged tires and no bad ones. Myth busted.

well MYTH..???

no.. in the old days as recent as 20 years ago there were so many tires that had good construction for the time.. but if you pluged them .. the cords made out of cotton or weak nylon or whatever it was. would bulge either in or out.. and the plug would come out sooner or later.

there are lots of "myths" out there now a days.. that were good logic back in the day.. like 500 mile break in ..keep the revs low.. back then.. you drop the oil pan and clean out lots of little metal shavings and grit.. now.. good luck with that.. maybe if you ran water through instead of oil you may get some wear..

Yes, Myth. Many still think a puntured tire NEEDS to be replaced. That's the myth I speak of. On this website alone, there's ample evidence of plugs working for rest of the life of the tire. I don't think the people who think punctured tires need to replaced are referring to older tire technology, though, but rather the fear of riding with a less than perfect tire. They're worried the "temporary" plug will pop out and the tire will catastrophically lose pressure and cause the bike to end up on the ground on the freeway.

hhmm yes i understood you the first time..

like it says below.. deaf, not dumb..

people believe their dad and grands when hearing " dont run on a plugged tire'" i gave the reason for the myth..and another myth.. both myths are good advice.. if your messing with old school stuff.

i wont run a plug on an old school harley tire.. yes, you can still buy them.. bias plys and cotton construction.. and it will deform around the plug and either pop it in or out..

i know from restoring harleys..

i do get your point .. my point.. the world is filled with people who cant think for themselves.

• Member Contributer

[THe problem I've had and i've run near a dosen of them, they dont hold up if any road contact for very long , half the life of a worm which also has limited life

its such a neat idea, but I just didnt see the results, a slime worm as been my best external repair, but it generally starts leaking around 1000 mile or so, if you burn the throttle , youll shread plugs fairly quick if any road contact.

Do you have a photos to support your claim???

Do you have a photos to support your claim???

Photo wont show a leak, but there are two things that Ive seen happening with mushroom externals, the rubber gets eaten by road contact, and the Tire internals seem to cut the plug, the only time ive had one last , it was in between a tread block with no road contact. Litterally 500 mile they start leaking like clock work ive done several different tires and brands.

The slime worms are far more reliable, ive seen up to 1200 miles on those befor they degrade and start leaking, rain riding is very hard on Goo worms also.

sorry but no pictures. I bought a whole assortment of lead wire combo patches last year for internal repair , but id still use a slime worm for conveinience if conditions arose.

Archived