RC36RR (RVF Clone)

93 VFR750 RC36

Here's my 'Almost Done' RC36. Just going to put Racetech Gold comp and rebound valves in the forks, change the spring spacer length for more preload, add some crash bungs and put in a Factory Pro shift kit and I'll call her done.

med_gallery_5709_5609_1418738.jpg

Therefore, I'm going to need another idea to mull over for a few months while I finish up my Land Rover restoration.

I'm thinking of an RC36a based track bike that ends up looking something like one of these:

med_gallery_5709_5628_56136.jpg

med_gallery_5709_5628_24926.jpg

My initial idea includes:

CBR1000RR or R1 front end (investigating triple clamp options at the moment)

RC45 track plastics

CBR 929 rear shock (like the one in my RC36)

Thurn tail lift kit

Raise and move back rear-set with remote change (CBR600 or similar)

Durbhan style airbox with cold air intake modded tank

Crash bungs etc

I'll replace the iron girders that make up the current rear subframe with a proper thin-wall round tube frame (I enjoy light fabrication so may actually do this to my RC36 too).

Then when time/cash allows I'll do some engine work too. However, the intial plan is to stick with a stock engine and just go for a sprocket/chain change (+2 on the rear probably).

The idea is a reliable track bike that I can use to learn to ride properly (I end up holding back on my current bike because it's my daily rider). I don't want a CBR/R1/GSXR as they have no soul and I love the V4 engine. Having a VFR that starts every time, runs hard and keeps coming back (52k miles and rising) has convinced me that I should stick with the same bike/engine for my track bike.

I can use the same tools/paddock stand/etc on both and transitioning from one to the other will be easier (I have a mate with a CBR600RR and a Ducati 749 who bounces off the rev limiter for 5 laps every time he goes from the CBR to the Duc).

I'll keep you all posted on any progress and banter/advice is all welcome. I know that the RR in RC36RR is probably a bit much for a 100hp bike but RC36r would look pretty sad.

Also, if anyone knows the guy who built the bike below, do you know what the spec is? Is the cold/ram air intake horn setup functional or cosmetic?

med_gallery_5709_5628_22313.jpg

Stew

Edited by 93 VFR750 RC36

Guest vfroem

Hi Stew,

The bike in the foto has been build by Rob Lindemans.

He also has build my bike, and a Repsol VTEC (with UPSD fronforks, radial calippers etc.), and now he just finished a VTEC with fireblade fairing.

I will ask him to respond.

Also, if anyone knows the guy who built the bike below, do you know what the spec is? Is the cold/ram air intake horn setup functional or cosmetic?

• Member Contributer

The bike in the foto has been build by Rob Lindemans.

Its possible he is the same Rob Lindeman who use to hand fabricate titanium exhaust systems for the RC45...

rlindemans@wanadoo.nl

Guest vfroem

Yes, he also makes Titanium exhausts....

he made a copy in Titanium for me of the Two brothers racing left, high;

gallery_668_420_43007.jpg

uitlaten.TBR.vs.titanium.01Xklein.JPG

Edited by vfroem

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest ducatidj

:lurk:

Hi there fellow V4 owners :)

I am wanting to try and find information on a bike I've just managed to find buried in a guys garage here in New Zealand and I thought on the off chance it may be loosely based on this RC36RR project-I purchased the bike last week as RC30/RC45s are getting too hard to find, and too pricey for me!

If you have a spare few moments I value your thoughts on the machine below, and indeed any suggestions you may offer with which I could improve it- it will be seeing track day work as well as a road bike from days gone by for me, I was racing the early 'blades on the national circuit in the mid '90's and this era of bike holds a lot of nostalgia for me- along with the fact this is an Aaron Slight(from NZ) replica:)

Specs that I know:

1991 VFR750 (RC36) frame

CBR900 Forks/Triple clamps/Brakes?/and 16" Front Wheel

RC45 Replica Body Kit

Free Flow Exhaust

Vapor digital dash with lap timers/shift light etc(can be re calibrated if I was to move to a 17 " front wheel)

Rear Suspension appears to be the factory RC36 unit with pre-load adjustable only, This is one thing I would like your thoughts on, I'm around 95KG and would like to be able to adjust Rebound/Compression or at least rebuild this one to a suitable state for track work.

I haven't found any Numbers on the engine casings as have yet to strip it down, the gentleman I bought it off also is unsure of the history and it's rumored to be an HRC motor, and he mentioned the model RC41 though I know this is prob not the case! Although I haven't had the bike long enough to Dyno, or test on the track yet it has a feeling of a lot more than the factory 100 HP, I also own a 2010 ZX14, 2007 Moto Morini Corsaro and am currently involved with Ducati NZ/Australia as an NZ tester along with writing for New Zealand's largest bike magazine,Kiwirider- and I would love to try and figure out more on this bike in order to put it in the magazine!

Here in NZ second hand or aftermarket spares for the older bikes are quite rare so any input you may be able to offer me to get this bike up to a standard I'll be happy with would be greatly appreciated, and I'd like to say the members adaptatons with the RC36RR look great :) .

I can provide better quality pics with more detail at any stage.

Regards and thank you for your time and any input,

Gav

New Zealand

IMG566.jpg

IMG563.jpg

IMG562.jpg

• Member Contributer

:lurk:

Hi there fellow V4 owners :)

I am wanting to try and find information on a bike I've just managed to find buried in a guys garage here in New Zealand and I thought on the off chance it may be loosely based on this RC36RR project-I purchased the bike last week as RC30/RC45s are getting too hard to find, and too pricey for me!

If you have a spare few moments I value your thoughts on the machine below, and indeed any suggestions you may offer with which I could improve it- it will be seeing track day work as well as a road bike from days gone by for me, I was racing the early 'blades on the national circuit in the mid '90's and this era of bike holds a lot of nostalgia for me- along with the fact this is an Aaron Slight(from NZ) replica:)

Specs that I know:

1991 VFR750 (RC36) frame

CBR900 Forks/Triple clamps/Brakes?/and 16" Front Wheel

RC45 Replica Body Kit

Free Flow Exhaust

Vapor digital dash with lap timers/shift light etc(can be re calibrated if I was to move to a 17 " front wheel)

Rear Suspension appears to be the factory RC36 unit with pre-load adjustable only, This is one thing I would like your thoughts on, I'm around 95KG and would like to be able to adjust Rebound/Compression or at least rebuild this one to a suitable state for track work.

I haven't found any Numbers on the engine casings as have yet to strip it down, the gentleman I bought it off also is unsure of the history and it's rumored to be an HRC motor, and he mentioned the model RC41 though I know this is prob not the case! Although I haven't had the bike long enough to Dyno, or test on the track yet it has a feeling of a lot more than the factory 100 HP, I also own a 2010 ZX14, 2007 Moto Morini Corsaro and am currently involved with Ducati NZ/Australia as an NZ tester along with writing for New Zealand's largest bike magazine,Kiwirider- and I would love to try and figure out more on this bike in order to put it in the magazine!

Here in NZ second hand or aftermarket spares for the older bikes are quite rare so any input you may be able to offer me to get this bike up to a standard I'll be happy with would be greatly appreciated, and I'd like to say the members adaptatons with the RC36RR look great :) .

I can provide better quality pics with more detail at any stage.

Regards and thank you for your time and any input,

Gav

New Zealand

IMG566.jpg

IMG563.jpg

IMG562.jpg

Very nicely done... I saved your pics in my files... thanks for posting...

Hi Gav and welcome to the site.

I've been around the 'VFR scene' for 12 years and have never seen that bike. It's very nicely executed.

Throw away the factory shock. CBR929 shock is a bolt-in if you make up a longer top clevis mount (45mm longer from memory). This is a very cheap and effective mod, because Honda's all use very similar chassis dimensions and geometry and the VFR works the CBR shock perfectly. It also means aftermarket shocks for CBRs go into VFRs, and for a bike like this I'd definitely go aftermarket, most factory shocks are running out of spring for your weight.

You can change the geometry further by flipping the eccentric if it hasn't already been done. Some 3rd Gens (not all) have the two bolts that hold the rear caliper bracket to the hub recessed, meaning you can run the eccentric with the axle at 6 o'clock or 12 o'clock (the latter being the standard position). If the two bolts are actual bolts rather than countersunk set screws, you pull the hub apart, countersink the holes, and reassemble with allen-head set screws so the eccentric can then rotate right around without the boltheads hitting the swingarm (all will be clear when you look at it).

At 6 o'clock you raise the swingarm by 30+mm which raises the tail of the bike - steepening fork angle and increasing swingarm angle of attach. You can also get an immediate and effective improvement in handling by placing shims between the top of the shock and the frame (does a similar thing). Your forks are however shorter than stock VFR forks so be careful with this stuff otherwise you could easily lose the neutral handling that makes the VFR such a nice ride.

If it is an original VFR motor, the right hand forward head casting should have a mark (probably under the coolant overflow bottle) which looks like a finger has been pressed into the alloy before it hardened, this is a simple way to pick a VFR750 motor.

If it is a 3rd Gen motor it has the biggest carbs fitted to a 750 (they went smaller for the 4th Gen). There isn't a lot you can do to them without getting radical - you can shim the jets with 0.15-0.30 shims for strong midrange, the jets are 125s which are already pretty high flowing for a 750. A K&N can help with torque.

You can pull the cams and remove the scissor-gears that eliminate gear chattter - with no ill effects, RC30s and RC45s don't have scissorgears. This reduces friction and rotating mass. Sounds different - an unkind soul might say it sounds like someone has tipped a bag of nails into the motor - but when under load the rattle goes away, just like a dry-clutch Duc.

If it doesn't already have a Factory Evo Star shift kit - get one into it immediately, makes a great difference.

A Triumph SSS hub goes into the VFR swingarm (direct fit) and you can have the axle turned down to run Ducati style single nut wheels. A member here pioneered that one and his topic can be found with a search (MrMatt).

Also a 520 chain conversion - if not already done - will help free up a horsie or two.

Guest ducatidj

Hi there Phantom,

Thanks for the positive feedback- and the information in you post gives me answer to a lot of the question about what I should be doing to get the best out of this ride. I've just searches our local "ebay" but alas, as i feared there's no sign of any 929 spares- I think the rear shock mod will be a priority once I can source one :)

I'll get some better pics up tomorrow morn(10pm here) for all those interested in how this one's been put together, and will also use the pointers you've just given me to try and figure out exactly what has already been done. When I picked it up the tyres were pretty shot so next Tuesday I'm fitting a new set of either Dunlop Qualifier 209's or Metzler M3's. (Bit limited for choice here with the 16" Front!)

Hopefully I can start getting familiar with hat is not standard on this bike so we can all learn a bit more about it.

Cheers for all the support so far- Pics to follow here tomorrow.

Gav :)

You can also get an immediate and effective improvement in handling by placing shims between the top of the shock and the frame (does a similar thing).

Not when you have a third gen frame.

There are still a couple of companies selling triple clicker shocks for the 3rd gen VFR, like WP, Wilbers & Hyperpro. Not cheap but you also get ride height adjustment on some.

Guest ducatidj

Cheers guys, as requested by a couple members please find a quick walk-around and a brief audio symphony, along with a couple of better pics of some of the alterations :)

IMG570.jpg

IMG571.jpg

IMG568.jpg

Regards, Gav.

• Member Contributer

monoblock brakes from tokico

It's hard to see in the picture, but it looks like you have a front mounted radiator stuffed in there :blink:

I know other members have considered this but ultimately determined there wasn't enough space between the front cylinder head and the front wheel with suspension fully compressed. Is it sitting below the front cylinder head, and you've modified the headers to make room?

Regardless of what you've done, that's a sweet looking bike.

Guest ducatidj

monoblock brakes from tokico

It's hard to see in the picture, but it looks like you have a front mounted radiator stuffed in there :blink:

I know other members have considered this but ultimately determined there wasn't enough space between the front cylinder head and the front wheel with suspension fully compressed. Is it sitting below the front cylinder head, and you've modified the headers to make room?

Regardless of what you've done, that's a sweet looking bike.

Hi and thanks JTG,

I do have a front mount radiator setup, mounted at the top of the cylinder head with no interruption to the header pipes. It is a higher flow, more efficient unit built locally- and was required as the standard VFR unit was not coping with mods to this motor(still researching whats been done)

Doesn't foul any travel in supension either:)

Apologies for the tape along the top edge of the fairing ... was a safety measure when in transit!

tmpphp2GDrhU.jpg

tmpphplGyEBV.jpg

PS:As mentioned earlier a thorough clean is scheduled this week before taking it to the track:)

Regards,

Gav

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ducatidj

Hey team,

Just had the first track outing on the "Slightly modded" Gen 3 :)

Fitted new Metzler M3's the day before the session, and Racetech have done their magic with the front end- along with fresh fluids where needed prior to getting on the new Hamptons Downs Circuit.

I'm REALLY impressed with all aspects of the bike- even though I had my doubts on how the factory (looking) rear shock would perform with my rather generous 95kg on board, I found it only to start wandering a bit when the bike was coming onto power after a very long(decent lean angle) right hander leading up to the back straight.

The engine is an absolute gem! I have to say it takes me back to the golden days when riders aids were simply a good nights sleep and some hot girls in the pits ;) The bike feels quite raw, and even though weight is of course, a lot more than the modern bikes-it still have enough of everything to not only hold its own against the modern sports machines but also put the biggest grin on a lot of faces when we all heard the V4 doing its thing!

I still have to calibrate the shift light setup on the Vapor instruments, if anyone can give me a ballpark figure as to the normal shift point for the 750 I'd be grateful. :)

For those that may want to hear and see the first outing I've put together a few snippets

The bike feels incredibly nuetral though the corners, planted at speed, and moves well with only the smallest amount of rider input- the video is with a Flip camera mounted on my tank and chasing a friend on my 1198 S.

Next track session, June 12... on the VFR, of course.

Regards,

Gav

Hey team,

I still have to calibrate the shift light setup on the Vapor instruments, if anyone can give me a ballpark figure as to the normal shift point for the 750 I'd be grateful. :)

Regards,

Gav

The bike looks really good!!! As far as the shift light goes, I have mine programmed to come on 500 RPM before it redlines , right around 11,000 RPM . That way in case I'm a little slow or lazy, I won't be bouncing the motor off of the rev limiter.

• Member Contributer

Hey team,

Just had the first track outing on the "Slightly modded" Gen 3 :)

Fitted new Metzler M3's the day before the session, and Racetech have done their magic with the front end- along with fresh fluids where needed prior to getting on the new Hamptons Downs Circuit.

I'm REALLY impressed with all aspects of the bike- even though I had my doubts on how the factory (looking) rear shock would perform with my rather generous 95kg on board, I found it only to start wandering a bit when the bike was coming onto power after a very long(decent lean angle) right hander leading up to the back straight.

The engine is an absolute gem! I have to say it takes me back to the golden days when riders aids were simply a good nights sleep and some hot girls in the pits ;) The bike feels quite raw, and even though weight is of course, a lot more than the modern bikes-it still have enough of everything to not only hold its own against the modern sports machines but also put the biggest grin on a lot of faces when we all heard the V4 doing its thing!

For those that may want to hear and see the first outing I've put together a few snippets

The bike feels incredibly nuetral though the corners, planted at speed, and moves well with only the smallest amount of rider input- the video is with a Flip camera mounted on my tank and chasing a friend on my 1198 S.

Next track session, June 12... on the VFR, of course.

Regards,

Gav

Wow that is awesome Gav and thanks for the uploads of your ride days etc.

Will keep an eye on your threads to find out what it is you have scored :-)

Cheers

Very nice, I have the same dream of putting an RC45 body on a 4th gen. This is as far as I made it though:

gallery_12942_4385_469698.jpg

DSC02149.JPG

The subframe I'm planning to go with a CBR900 which is a much lighter aluminum one (not pictured)

I was having some problems with the clutch cover hitting the body, I finally got tired and chopped it out. I'll have to revisit that area to clean it up

gallery_12942_4385_193836.jpg

DSC02150.JPG

Headlights are from Aztec8, I tried some CBR900 ones but they looked too small for the opening

then I switched back to the stock body so I could have something to ride...

Hopefully I can get back on it this fall, maybe do a couple engine mods too (hmm, scissor gears?)

Top stuff Gav!!!

That track looks like a good facility, is Hampton Downs the one that we heard rumours about getting a WSBK round?

Guest ducatidj

Top stuff Gav!!!

That track looks like a good facility, is Hampton Downs the one that we heard rumours about getting a WSBK round?

It sure is- AT the moment the complex has a 2.8 km circuit, with an extension planned shortly to bring it up to around 3.6 km, allowing it to host the larger international events- including the WSB. It's a top circuit with an incredible level of grip. Hampton Downs Info ... and when we do get the WSB it'll save me the airfare to Philip Island each year!

MrMatt- the bikes looking great so far mate, Loving the work to get a single wheel nut on the rear...There's been a few mods(cuts and grinds) to the RC45 bodywork in order to get it fitting right on this side too- The headlights I'm running are branded Koito, model 3H46 if thats any use, they fit snugly into the fibreglass 45 fairing. Plenty of room for the custom front mount radiator with the oil cooler mounted low on the front of the motor too- with a switched thermo fan. Have just discovered that the larger brake calipers make tyre changes a juggle and take a bit longer than normal- I'm hoping eventually a move to a 17" front will help this..

Am stripping the plastics off it later this week to try and do some investigating on what motor is buried within :)

regards,

Gav

• 2 weeks later...