Am I an idiot? Probably.

Guest MrGone

Guest MrGone

I just purchased a GPS unit, which comes with a suction cup that is designed for automobile windshields, and it works great in my car. But of course I'm looking at options for mounting the GPS on my 6th-gen, and I discovered that the suction cup attaches securely to the fuel tank. Very securely. I would characterize the attachment as "rock solid." In fact, unless I twist the mount in order to release the suction, I wasn't able to pull the suction cup off the tank.

Now, am I a complete idiot for believing that the suction cup is going to hold while I'm on the road at highway speeds? Or has anyone else discovered that this actually works?

Go ahead, tell me I'm an idiot. Or a genius. I'll accept either answer.

I ran all the way to Colorado and back with my GPS suction cup on the inside, concave side of the 6th gen windshield but now it doesn't stay on for long. I agree it stays on the tank well but then I can't use my tank bag, it also sticks and stays put on the tach face but as Inacepter said, best get a Ram mount or equivelant, that's what I'm going to do. Tired of worrying about it coming off.

• Member Contributer

For three years now I have used a suction cup mount on my tachometer. As long as i put it on properly it stays put. So no you are not crazy but a ram

mount isn't a bad idea either.

The duct tape ran out a couple weeks ago. The situation is dire.

Anyway, RAM doesn't make a mount for my GPS because it's a new model. So I'm looking for a do-it-yourself solution for now.

The suction cup works well on the tach face, but I like the tachometer. I like seeing the needle revving higher and higher.

The airplane resupply drop of duct tape is due in a few days; maybe that's the way to go, after all.

Thanks, guys.

• Member Contributer

Two years ago I made a bracket for my stock 6th gen windscreen to mount the GPS front and center.

Works great (ram mount bracket). Very solid, can touch it while riding to make route changes.

gallery_6587_3685_81326.jpg

8 riders perspective.jpg

gallery_6587_3685_153221.jpg

6 Stock GPS screen for touring.jpg

After looking at it for several hours, I'm now thinking of a V2.0 to accomodate a radar detector.

I may start looking for a stock windscreen on ebay or the site in order to experiment on, putting my current one possibly up for grabs.

You would need your own GPS bracket, but if you have a 6th gen, it may work for you.

I use a DB for around home rides, as I know the roads oh too well. The stock screen is shorter, but more rigid making for a great touring base.

Insurance comes off in October. PM me for motivation and I just might part with my current set up (screen & all) for an exchange?

I am with DDave on this, didit — can you provide a close-up pic or two? I'm a do-it-yourself guy, and I find immense enjoyment is beating a problem, so I will probably be flailing away at this on my own. I appreciate the offer, though, but I will be going with a taller touring windscreen this winter. Your idea has definitely inspired me to get creative. I will probably do something similar, so I can put my GPS in a waterproof case and keep it on the windscreen. Also, how is your mount attached to the windscreen?

• Member Contributer

As long as you don't use a tank bag, I think you'll be just fine. I'm usually extra cautious about these things and would use some type of simple lanyard as a safety just in the event the suction cup decides to take a break.

As long as you don't use a tank bag, I think you'll be just fine. I'm usually extra cautious about these things and would use some type of simple lanyard as a safety just in the event the suction cup decides to take a break.

Thanks, mailman, I like your lanyard idea. I don't use a tank bag, but I'm already thinking of ways to tether my GPS to the bike in some way.

• Member Contributer

Speed and vibration tested to 230 km/hr.

gallery_6587_3685_34079.jpg

1 all the parts.jpg

gallery_6587_3685_105150.jpg

2 ram mounted to bracket.jpg

gallery_6587_3685_74425.jpg

3 bracket to screen.jpg

gallery_6587_3685_99521.jpg

4 tomtom snapped in.jpg

I drilled 3 small holes in the screen. As I mentioned, the OEM screen provides a much more rigid surface than my DB smoked.

Next time I'll be doing some tremclad paint work and as also hinted at, a redesign for radar detector.

Happy to provide the inspiration now, and when I have the 2.0 version ready - possibly this winter.

• Member Contributer

The duct tape ran out a couple weeks ago. The situation is dire.

Anyway, RAM doesn't make a mount for my GPS because it's a new model. So I'm looking for a do-it-yourself solution for now.

The suction cup works well on the tach face, but I like the tachometer. I like seeing the needle revving higher and higher.

The airplane resupply drop of duct tape is due in a few days; maybe that's the way to go, after all.

Thanks, guys.

What brand & model GPS do you have??

• Member Contributer

I looked at the suction cup option a year or so ago when I had just got my GPS. One wise board member raised that point that although it may work 99% of the time, that 1% that it doesn't work probably means the end of your GPS. When the suction cup fails in the car (and mine does from time to time), the GPS only has to endure maybe a 6 inch drop to the dash - and mine has survived several of these. No bigs. However - if it fails while you're zipping down the road doing 60 mph (or more!?), it may very well not survive its encounter with the pavement. Or the wheels of the car that's following you....

In the end, that was enough to steer me away from the suction option. Of course, my life was easier since RAM makes a mount for my GPS, but it looks like you're already getting good "home cookin'" advice from other members here. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Didit FTW!!! :fing02::ohmy:

Would there be photographic evidence?

:smile:

• Member Contributer

I used the suction cup mount, broke off the suction cup & mounted it on the w/sgallery_8073_5169_548271.jpg

IMG_0066.JPG

gallery_8073_5169_469496.jpg

IMG_0068.JPG

gallery_8073_5169_325342.jpg

IMG_0070.JPG

Very easy & cheap :fing02:

Good luck! Hope this helps

Gary

• Member Contributer

Didit FTW!!! :cheerleader::fing02:

:dry:

Uh....that would be post #12...Pics showing how he hooked up his TomTom to the windscreen using a clear bracket...that photographic evidence....:huh:

• Member Contributer

Didit FTW!!! :cheerleader::fing02:

:huh:

Sorry, my bad. I thought you were saying that you "did it" too (like Didit, did, if you follow my broken brain)

• Member Contributer

Sorry, my bad. I thought you were saying that you "did it" too (like Didit, did, if you follow my broken brain)

I kinda suspected that was the case. No worries. :cheerleader:

I used the suction cup mount, broke off the suction cup & mounted it on the w/sgallery_8073_5169_548271.jpg

IMG_0066.JPG

gallery_8073_5169_469496.jpg

IMG_0068.JPG

gallery_8073_5169_325342.jpg

IMG_0070.JPG

Very easy & cheap :cheerleader:

Good luck! Hope this helps

Gary

V-FOUR, I like your idea a lot, and I've been thinking that this is the way I'm going to go with mine. It's only $13 for another suction mount. Thanks for the great pix. Does the ring attachment to the GPS hold tight enough? Any failures? Also, is that a double bubble windscreen?

BTW, I've got a TomTom XXL 540TM. 5" screen, lifetime maps and traffic updates, only $200 bucks. So far, I don't think RAM makes a mount for it. It's not waterproof, but that's easily remedied with a waterproof case; plus, I figure if I tuck it underneath the windscreen it won't get wet, at least until I can pull over in the rain and stuff it into a bag.

DIDIT, where did you get your clear mount? Or did you make that, too, and if so, how?

Speed and vibration tested to 230 km/hr.

gallery_6587_3685_34079.jpg

1 all the parts.jpg

gallery_6587_3685_105150.jpg

2 ram mounted to bracket.jpg

gallery_6587_3685_74425.jpg

3 bracket to screen.jpg

gallery_6587_3685_99521.jpg

4 tomtom snapped in.jpg

I drilled 3 small holes in the screen. As I mentioned, the OEM screen provides a much more rigid surface than my DB smoked.

Next time I'll be doing some tremclad paint work and as also hinted at, a redesign for radar detector.

Happy to provide the inspiration now, and when I have the 2.0 version ready - possibly this winter.

I was really loving your mount :fing02: ............til I saw the "D" word :dry: ......That cool, mostly invisible to the eye acrylic bracket + good clear suction cups would be more preferrable to me. A small tether/lanyard back up system in the right place and suction cup release scaries could most likely be ignored.....

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

V-FOUR, I like your idea a lot, and I've been thinking that this is the way I'm going to go with mine. It's only $13 for another suction mount. Thanks for the great pix. Does the ring attachment to the GPS hold tight enough? Any failures? Also, is that a double bubble windscreen?

BTW, I've got a TomTom XXL 540TM. 5" screen, lifetime maps and traffic updates, only $200 bucks. So far, I don't think RAM makes a mount for it. It's not waterproof, but that's easily remedied with a waterproof case; plus, I figure if I tuck it underneath the windscreen it won't get wet, at least until I can pull over in the rain and stuff it into a bag.

DIDIT, where did you get your clear mount? Or did you make that, too, and if so, how?

Matt,

Yes the ring holds it tight, allows it to move in numerous directions, no problems, yes it was a db w/s...I really like the DB over the stock one. And my tomtomOne was $50. refurb works great and with the addition of a ziplock bag it is waterproof also :goofy: I have had no vibration problems or anything Over various terrain :blink: ie snomobile forest service roads.

Good Luck

Gary

• Member Contributer
I was really loving your mount :goofy: ............til I saw the "D" word :blink: ......That cool, mostly invisible to the eye acrylic bracket + good clear suction cups would be more preferrable to me. A small tether/lanyard back up system in the right place and suction cup release scaries could most likely be ignored.....

Beck

95 VFR

Hence why I 'did it' to the old stock screen and not my new DB. It's for touring only. Ever since installing radar's sliders I'm not afraid to drill for a cause. :idea3:

No need for lanyards or failing suction cups. Like VFORE, it's done right, done once and time to move on - on route of course. Now Sally, that's a whole other topic.

PS,

I was wondering what FTW stood for? All I know WTF.

Archived