Am I an idiot? Probably.

Guest MrGone

I blatantly copied Didit's mount idea when he originally posted. I've not regretted it one bit. Love it, Love it, Love it. Told him so at the Summer Summit.

3725366826_fcb6a63d35.jpg

You can see in the photo several of the Ram Mount balls that I had purchased attempting to come up with the perfect mount for my needs. Ram makes an excellent product and I highly recomend them... but I could never get the GPS exactly where I wanted until Didit posted his idea.

• Member Contributer

I blatantly copied Didit's mount idea when he originally posted. I've not regretted it one bit. Love it, Love it, Love it. Told him so at the Summer Summit.

3725366826_fcb6a63d35.jpg

You can see in the photo several of the Ram Mount balls that I had purchased attempting to come up with the perfect mount for my needs. Ram makes an excellent product and I highly recomend them... but I could never get the GPS exactly where I wanted until Didit posted his idea.

What's the Ram ball on the left mounted to? I haven't seen that one before.

What's the Ram ball on the left mounted to? I haven't seen that one before.

The Ram ball is mounted to a shouldered aluminum spacer "bolt" I made. That bolt is then mounted to the hard point fairing mount behind the upper inside fairing plastic through a carefully drilled hole.

That mounting location is totally worthless for a GPS mount, in my opinion..... just another of my attempts to find my perfect mount before running across DIDIT's solution. However it might be a good mounting point for a camera.

• Member Contributer

Copied - Inspired - utilized - whatever it takes to share the knowledge. Yours looks a little cleaner & more sleek than mine. Yes I remember and it still looks great.

The new idea I'm working on is going to incorporate a radar detector, using a little heavier material - again similar to yours. Will post up in the pending off season.

Nothing like having that screen front and center, where you want it. During the PNW meet ride, I didn't even use the audio feed - simply glanced at upcoming turn indications.

As for waterproofing - a zip lock sandwich baggie stays in the tank bag and 'installs' in seconds. Works like a charm and the Ram mount holds it taught.

Where is everyone getting those pieces of plexiglass which seem perfect for this? Are you having them custom-made at a glass place? Or re-purposing something else?

Where is everyone getting those pieces of plexiglass which seem perfect for this? Are you having them custom-made at a glass place? Or re-purposing something else?

First off: Not plexiglass (acrylic). You want to use polycarbonate (Lexan, Markolon, etc) for this project. I used 1/4" for mine. I think Didit used 1/'8". I used a sheet metal brake to bend mine. Of course you could soften it in an oven then bend it over the edge of a workbench.

You should be able to find small pieces at your local Mom-n-Pop type hardware store. If not, look for one of the plastic supply warehouses in your area such as Cope Plastics.

For the size piece you need, most large supply houses would just give you a piece out of their scrap bin if the guy at the counter were a fellow motorcyclist sympathetic to the cause... otherwise $5.00 would be an appropriate cost.

Lexan is very easy to work with and can be shaped with woodworking tools, if need be. Keep speeds low to keep heat down or the plastic will just melt. Sandpaper or a mill cut file easily smooths the edges.

When drilling the holes through your shield and lexan, use a neutral or negative rake drill bit to limit the possiblity of cracking the shield.

First off: Not plexiglass (acrylic). You want to use polycarbonate (Lexan, Markolon, etc) for this project. I used 1/4" for mine. I think Didit used 1/'8". I used a sheet metal brake to bend mine. Of course you could soften it in an oven then bend it over the edge of a workbench.

You should be able to find small pieces at your local Mom-n-Pop type hardware store. If not, look for one of the plastic supply warehouses in your area such as Cope Plastics.

For the size piece you need, most large supply houses would just give you a piece out of their scrap bin if the guy at the counter were a fellow motorcyclist sympathetic to the cause... otherwise $5.00 would be an appropriate cost.

Lexan is very easy to work with and can be shaped with woodworking tools, if need be. Keep speeds low to keep heat down or the plastic will just melt. Sandpaper or a mill cut file easily smooths the edges.

When drilling the holes through your shield and lexan, use a neutral or negative rake drill bit to limit the possiblity of cracking the shield.

Thanks, Lee!!! I appreciate the great info. This looks like my weekend project.

• Member Contributer

Yes to what Lee 2002 said.

When my plastics guy was helping me with the final shaping, a slow gradual heat and gentle bending with a vice and bench edge did the trick.

Drilled it out with a high speed standard drill bit and some masking tape for good measure. Pre drilled all holes with a small bit to avoid bit wandering.

Good luck and post your results.

Hey, you guys have been great on this!!! I am inspired. If this weekend wasn't going to offer PERFECT riding weather, I might be in my garage working on this. But, did I mention the perfect riding weather this weekend? I will probably take off somewhere and tackle this project next week.

How are you guys powering your GPS? Hooking it up to a lighter socket you've installed, or wiring it some other way?

• Member Contributer

Hey, you guys have been great on this!!! I am inspired. If this weekend wasn't going to offer PERFECT riding weather, I might be in my garage working on this. But, did I mention the perfect riding weather this weekend? I will probably take off somewhere and tackle this project next week.

How are you guys powering your GPS? Hooking it up to a lighter socket you've installed, or wiring it some other way?

I myself took apart the cig lighter cord that came with it & added a red & blk wire with a connector on the end & added wires off the battery so I can disconnect when not in use & ran the wire up under the tank through fairing & it comes up the side & hangs out it the ring where the tomtom would be.

Not the best way, but it works!

I myself took apart the cig lighter cord that came with it & added a red & blk wire with a connector on the end & added wires off the battery so I can disconnect when not in use & ran the wire up under the tank through fairing & it comes up the side & hangs out it the ring where the tomtom would be.

Have you got a fuse wired in there?

• Member Contributer

Have you got a fuse wired in there?

If I am not mistaken there is a fuse in the cigarette lighter part, Picture the cig lighter with wires coming out of the tip instead of the spring loaded tip. A very quick & easy way to adapt it to my use :fing02:

• Member Contributer

First year I ran it from a socket adaptor in my center clamp. This year I ordered ($20) a power line and wired it direct. Nice 90 degree plug so it tucks in nice. http://www.gpscity.ca

Next year, putting in a fuse panel to accom. power for GPS, radar, PCIII, socket outlet & speedo healer.

Archived