Shark RSI helmet

Guest avidrider

Guest avidrider

P1050534.JPG

I just bought this Shark RSI helmet, finally buying a new lid to replace my Suomy Spec 1. I initially heard of Shark from a friend who has one and loves his (he has a Shark RSX). I did a little research into the company and found they had a good reputation and had been producing helmets for almost 30 years. All this seemed fine and normal for a good manufacturer, the one thing that really stood out was that they produced the entire helmet themselves. I like this because I didn't want a helmet that was just re-branded. I also found out it is the number one selling European helmet brand and only recently got into the U.S. Market (which would explain why I knew very little about them to begin with). I ended up deciding to go with RSI, I liked the Shark brand, and I liked the styling so I bought the helmet. I went to Sum of All Parts a reputable online retailer that was running a special on the Shark RSI and ordered it.

The guys at Sum of All Parts were awesome and they assured me if I had any issues I could call them and they would be able to help me out, also they told me the Helmets were in good supply and plenty of the accessories were available. I mentioned this only because I switch visors fairly often.

P1050537.JPG

When I received the RSI I immediately inspected it and made sure there was no shipping damage, and of course it was fine. My first impression was the size of the vents on the top and bottom of the visor, they had huge inlets shaped around them, not sure if they're actually bigger or just appear that way. The Shark also had vents inside the liner which I've never seen on a helmet before. Ventilation is very important to me as I live in the south where the summers can be brutal on a motorcycle and air getting through the helmet is a must.

P1050536.JPG

I put the helmet on and it felt great, perfect pressure around my cheeks and not too much on my forehead. I wear an XL Suomy so I bought an XL in the Shark, even though I had heard they run a bit small. So it felt good and looked great, time to take a ride.

First impression is the SRI is much more quiet than my Suomy, I don't usually wear earplugs (I know, I know) but I don't. While the vents looked much bigger on the Shark I didn't really notice additional air through the helmet, but I didn't have an ventilation problems (fogging up the visor or just getting too hot). I suppose helmet vents are one of those things that you only really notice when they're not working. The visor on the Shark was much less flimsy than my Suomy, I'm not sure if the material is stronger, the mounts are better, or if my old helmet was just worn out. Either way the SRI visor action was much smoother and easier. My riding experience with the SRI was very positive and I think the only real complains I have are aesthetic really. Nest one will probably just be a racer replica like the Guintoli.

Things I liked about the Shark RSI helmet:

* Well ventilated and no issues with fogging

* At 1500g it's lighter than almost every other helmet

* Micro-fleece liner, and chin strap make it very comfy

* Carbon composite shell design makes sure it does it's main job

* Quick release visor so I can switch from clear to smoke quickly

* Price, I saved about $300 from Sum of All Parts sale

Things I didn't like about the Shark RSI helmet:

* Holograph stickers on the side didn't do it for me

* Visor latch is a bit small and I missed a couple times

Overall I rate the Shark RSI 9 out of 10. It surpassed my expectations and while I only have about 100 miles on it right now I know it will continue to perform. As time goes on I'll try and update this post, certainly if I notice any problems from use or age, if not you know I'm out enjoying it.

• Member Contributer

First impression is the SRI is much more quiet than my Suomy,

I was reading your review and was waiting for that part. I had a Suomy Spec1R and while it was super light, it was also noisy as hell, even with earplugs.

Nice review, too. I've been curious about the brand as I've seen them around a lot lately.

First impression is the SRI is much more quiet than my Suomy,

I was reading your review and was waiting for that part. I had a Suomy Spec1R and while it was super light, it was also noisy as hell, even with earplugs.

Nice review, too. I've been curious about the brand as I've seen them around a lot lately.

I have an RSR2 and RSI now Both are excellent Light and quiet Only complaint I have is the visors are not interchangable. I bought the RSI thinking it would be. A++ for Sharks!

I completely agree with everything you said in that review. I bought an RSI from Sum of All Parts as well about 2 wks. ago. They really treat you right, as I was talking to the guy on the phone the price actually fell just after I put my order in, well none the less, he noticed after we had hung up and adjusted it by the $60 something dollars. I was very pleased. The shield latch thing I hope is just something you get used to. It kinda feels like it's in an awkward spot to me but maybe it's smaller, I'm not sure the case. Relatively quite though, and as far as venting, it's there, wear an Icon alliance before you put the RSI on, you'll notice it then for sure! Nice write up.

• Member Contributer

yup, sharks FTW.

i am on my third, and love 'em. fit my melon perfectly.

maybe the sizing on the bigger sizes equals out, but my (usually) med melon takes a small in the RSI.

as for the visor tab being small and in the wrong place... i now miss the tab on my RSF whenever i use it ;)

I guess your right, a friend of mine has one and he didn't notice any noise difference. The Suomy must be just a super loud helmet.

I've also been eyeing the Shark RSI since it came out a couple of years ago already.

I Like it's general shape as it seems to be similar to my Dainese first version Ergon, which I really liked very much.

I heard that the Sark visors are indeed much thicker than most and might provide better impact protection. Good flow-through ventilation is alwyas nice, but it almost always also result in a noisier helmet.

My latest helmet, the new Bell Star, flows big amounts of air and it is really noisy because of big extractors right behind the ears. Ear plugs solves the problem, but a person should still consider the drawbacks from having a lot of vents on a helmet before doing final purchases.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the review.

Sounds just like what I been looking for.

I bought one the other day and it sounds like a good purchase.

My current HJC is a riot.

It's so loud that I almost hate to ride in it.

Almost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went out for a ride yesterday afternoon. Had my Shark RSR2 Furtif helmet on Exactly like this one:

Shark_RSR2_Furtif_REM.gif

Felt some "hot" spots on the top of my head while I was riding - but not like stings that I felt in July when I got stung 5 times in about one minute........

I get home and take the helmet off. Looking closely at the fin section on the top of my helmet - I see black and yellow movement inside the fins. Phucking wasp is in the vent area on top of the area that vents my head.

So I spear it - and pull it out. I need a screen across the vent it appears - and that how this wasp got entry to my cranium.

I need a Rivcyko Bug Blocker for my helmet now!!!!

I dont see how an insect can get in there because air certainly does not. i do love this helmet, but it will not be worn in summer

I have this for the 90 degree days

003-4.jpg

Nice review. That's an incredible price.

The RSR2 has been catching my eye lately but am a few years out before the X-11 gets shelved. I'd like to think that the venting and noise levels are about equal for the RSR2 and X-11. Staying in the 1200-1300 grm weight would be nice as well :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I dont see how an insect can get in there because air certainly does not. i do love this helmet, but it will not be worn in summer

I have this for the 90 degree days

003-4.jpg

You'd never think Timmy is Welsh would you?? :laughing6-hehe:

You'd never think Timmy is Welsh would you?? :laughing6-hehe:

:offtopic: We're from Aberdare Wales (my mother is a coal miner's daughter), where they do this in the park once a year

Archived