Elka response to spring rate question

VFR-SPORT

• Member Contributer

This is the reply I received from Elka when I inquired as to why they would put a 850 lb spring on their VFR800 shock.

"The springs on the shocks we originally sent out were very light and had some concerns from VFR riders, however the stock spring rate on the VFR is an 850lb per inch, and the vast majority of motorcycle manufacturers use a spring rate for an average weight rider of 170lbs-200lbs. It was clear to us that the intention of the VFR at that point was as a touring/ sport touring bike, but the major complaints on the OEM shock when we gathered feedback during R&D was that the shocks stock lacked damping capabilities, and heard very little feedback concerning spring rates being too soft. Therefore, the spring rates that we decided to use were benchmarked off of the OEM spring rate for a 170lb – 200lb rider. Unfortunately for us, most people who purchased a shock were using the VFR for more spirited riding than the intended use of the VFR, therefore requiring sag numbers that mere more consistent with sport bikes.

If your riding is as you described “ spirited”, then I am assuming that your riding style is probably more consistent with how most sport bikes suspensions are configured, meaning stiffer springs to achieve sag numbers anywhere between 28mm-32mm of sag, rather than the typical 45mm of sag you find on touring bikes.

If you prefer, measure how much sag you currently have with the spring that is on the shock. E-mail me the loaded and static sag numbers and I can help you determine if the spring rate is indeed too soft for your riding style.

A replacement spring will cost approximately $110.00"

• Member Contributer

When you order those shocks you have to specify your weight, luggage/passenger, riding style, etc so shouldn't they install the correct spring based on that information??

FWIW: May just be my own bad luck but sent my shock back to Elka for warranty repair. Several emails went unanswered along with a couple of phone calls but it took nearly three months to finally get it back.

• Member Contributer

If they're saying a different spring to replace the original 850 on a used shock is $110; that's fine. If they're saying a different spring other than the 850 on a new shock is an additional $110 to the purchase price then they are full of it. What is the case here VFR-SPORT?

Or..... are you feeling dissed (and rightly so) because they are calling the VFR a "touring bike" and want to bring this to our attention? :fing02:

• Member Contributer

If they're saying a different spring to replace the original 850 on a used shock is $110; that's fine. If they're saying a different spring other than the 850 on a new shock is an additional $110 to the purchase price then they are full of it. What is the case here VFR-SPORT?

Or..... are you feeling dissed (and rightly so) because they are calling the VFR a "touring bike" and want to bring this to our attention? :fing02:

Yes, it is a used shock I purchased from a member on here. Now, I presume he bought it through the first group buy of the Elka shock and he said it was setup for a 180 lb person. As I am 185 lbs, I didn't think I would need another spring. My question to them was why would they build a shock and put the same spring rate on it as it came OEM. I already let them know that no one I know would ever call the VFR a "touring" bike.

$110 is way too much money for a motorcycle shock spring. You shouldn't have to pay more than $80-90.

hrpworld.com

• Member Contributer

Elka is actually pretty good. What they told you is what I have already heard from them and I understand their philosophy. That is why their spring calculator tops out at 1100#. $110 is their flat rate spring cost. Don't forget, smarties at Honda aren't idiots either. They intentionally designed the bike with a lower spring rate partly to meet the sport/TOURING flavor and some because they think all riders are 165lbs. The 1000RR's aren't coming with 45mm sag.

Pete don't forget us CDN's have to fight with high shipping costs, exchange and tax at the border. You know I got my 1200 at Ground Control for $69 but even by the time it got to my door the Elka $110 was just a little more for the exact same Eibach spring.

• Member Contributer

i think all the shock maker sare brain dead about the vfr.

i called ohlins and ordered a spring.. i told them i weigh 220 and often have a 110 lb babe on the back.. they sent me a 799 sring.. how stupid is that?? :fing02:

• Member Contributer

...i told them i weigh 220 and often have a 110 lb babe on the back...

220 vs. 110! Let me guess who gets on top.

Pete don't forget us CDN's have to fight with high shipping costs, exchange and tax at the border. You know I got my 1200 at Ground Control for $69 but even by the time it got to my door the Elka $110 was just a little more for the exact same Eibach spring.

So much for NAFTA. :biggrin:

Or..... are you feeling dissed (and rightly so) because they are calling the VFR a "touring bike" and want to bring this to our attention? goofy.gif

Yes, it is a used shock I purchased from a member on here. Now, I presume he bought it through the first group buy of the Elka shock and he said it was setup for a 180 lb person. As I am 185 lbs, I didn't think I would need another spring. My question to them was why would they build a shock and put the same spring rate on it as it came OEM. I already let them know that no one I know would ever call the VFR a "touring" bike.

He's saying, for the 180lb rider the stock spring rate is correct. He wants your sag and static sag numbers to confirm.

With proper valving, the stock spring rate may be all thats needed, is what I'm seeing in the response.

But like mention, if hauling the ball and chain and alot of luggage thats gonna change your sag numbers

• Member Contributer

on top???

there no room in the elevators and changing rooms for that stuff! :wub: :biggrin:

looking up at great view can be breath taking.... those clouds look like.. :goofy:

on the flip side.. my roomie is deaf too..so no mater how loud she uuummmm.... revs her motor, no one complains! :wub:

i try to be a good boy.. but some how she brings out the devil in me :blush:

• Member Contributer

Now to bring this back on track. I was one of the lucky ones who purchased one of the Ohlins springs on eBay a couple of years ago. The infamous 1092-69/170 spring. From what I have found out, it is 2.25" inside diameter, ~971 lb/in rate and 6.7" in length. The spring rate should be sufficient. I asked Elka if it would fit and they replied that they used the 2.25" ID springs also. The only real concern if that the spring on the Elka presently is only 6" in length but I believe there is enough threads on the shock body to back it off for the Ohlins spring length. Any thoughts/concerns on this???

Now to bring this back on track. I was one of the lucky ones who purchased one of the Ohlins springs on eBay a couple of years ago. The infamous 1092-69/170 spring. From what I have found out, it is 2.25" inside diameter, ~971 lb/in rate and 6.7" in length. The spring rate should be sufficient. I asked Elka if it would fit and they replied that they used the 2.25" ID springs also. The only real concern if that the spring on the Elka presently is only 6" in length but I believe there is enough threads on the shock body to back it off for the Ohlins spring length. Any thoughts/concerns on this???

As long as there is adequate threading on the shock body to get both adjusting and locking rings on properly, you should be good. And the shock spring doesn't interfere with any hard parts of the MC.

Give it a go, nothing to lose.

This is the reply I received from Elka when I inquired as to why they would put a 850 lb spring on their VFR800 shock.

"The springs on the shocks we originally sent out were very light and had some concerns from VFR riders, however the stock spring rate on the VFR is an 850lb per inch, and the vast majority of motorcycle manufacturers use a spring rate for an average weight rider of 170lbs-200lbs. It was clear to us that the intention of the VFR at that point was as a touring/ sport touring bike, but the major complaints on the OEM shock when we gathered feedback during R&D was that the shocks stock lacked damping capabilities, and heard very little feedback concerning spring rates being too soft. Therefore, the spring rates that we decided to use were benchmarked off of the OEM spring rate for a 170lb – 200lb rider. Unfortunately for us, most people who purchased a shock were using the VFR for more spirited riding than the intended use of the VFR, therefore requiring sag numbers that mere more consistent with sport bikes.

If your riding is as you described “ spirited”, then I am assuming that your riding style is probably more consistent with how most sport bikes suspensions are configured, meaning stiffer springs to achieve sag numbers anywhere between 28mm-32mm of sag, rather than the typical 45mm of sag you find on touring bikes.

If you prefer, measure how much sag you currently have with the spring that is on the shock. E-mail me the loaded and static sag numbers and I can help you determine if the spring rate is indeed too soft for your riding style.

These guys(Elka) are Full of Shitz IMO like many venders who don't seen to have a clue about the VFR rear for some reason!

"OEM spring rate for a 170lb – 200lb rider" ? :fing02: At best the stock spring is ideal for a 160lb rider max!

The good thing he does say is asking for your Sag numbers, but w/o Free Sag numbers along with Riders sag numbers they are worthless IMO. Achieveing a specific rider sag number by No means that you have the correct spring rate especially if the shock is topped out with enough pre-load to achieve that rider sag number!

There are many in depth threads on the subject here and Many of our members including me have gone through the long process of findingthe correct spring rates for our bikes unsing factory reccommended Free & Rider Sag numbers.

I can pretty much say that the 858lb (15.3kg) lb stock spring is too soft for your 180 lb weight! I weigh 190 lbs and ran a 19 kg rear spring on my Ohlins for years with decent numbers, but recently went to a 20 kg spring and got even better Free & Rider sag numbers.

The 170(aprox 17kg) spring you have will be much better suited, but still soft IMO, I think a 18-19kg would be just about right for 180 lbs.

My 20kg rear is NOT stiff at all, it supports my & the bikes weight as designed and the damping controls the spring(ride, feel).

Do a search on the subject of Free/Rider sag.

BR

• Member Contributer

A gentleman never allows the full weight of himself to be felt during these intimate times. :biggrin: Or are you suggesting that your significant other is equal to you in weight? :fing02:

• 2 months later...

These guys(Elka) are Full of Shitz IMO like many venders who don't seen to have a clue about the VFR rear for some reason!

"OEM spring rate for a 170lb – 200lb rider" ? :fing02: At best the stock spring is ideal for a 160lb rider max!

The good thing he does say is asking for your Sag numbers, but w/o Free Sag numbers along with Riders sag numbers they are worthless IMO. Achieveing a specific rider sag number by No means that you have the correct spring rate especially if the shock is topped out with enough pre-load to achieve that rider sag number!

There are many in depth threads on the subject here and Many of our members including me have gone through the long process of findingthe correct spring rates for our bikes unsing factory reccommended Free & Rider Sag numbers.

I can pretty much say that the 858lb (15.3kg) lb stock spring is too soft for your 180 lb weight! I weigh 190 lbs and ran a 19 kg rear spring on my Ohlins for years with decent numbers, but recently went to a 20 kg spring and got even better Free & Rider sag numbers.

The 170(aprox 17kg) spring you have will be much better suited, but still soft IMO, I think a 18-19kg would be just about right for 180 lbs.

My 20kg rear is NOT stiff at all, it supports my & the bikes weight as designed and the damping controls the spring(ride, feel).

Do a search on the subject of Free/Rider sag.

BR

Any movement?

Archived