I just stripped my second suspension tool

achfly

• Member Contributer

I'm very frustrated. Got a baby sitter today for the first time so I could take the wife on her first ride since the baby. Weather was perfect, dusted off her gear, warmed up the bike, oh yeah gotta crank up the rear suspender... wang! Stripped another wrench. (suspension adjustment tool) This one was a replacement from ron ayers thats probably been used... five times? :woohoo: Very frustrating.

Maybe some moly grease at the top of the shock?

• Member Contributer

fold a bit of rubber or something over the blade of the screwdriver and tap gently. As not to leave marks on the shock.

If you are not worried about that, hammer away!!! :woohoo:

• Member Contributer

I'm very frustrated. Got a baby sitter today for the first time so I could take the wife on her first ride since the baby. Weather was perfect, dusted off her gear, warmed up the bike, oh yeah gotta crank up the rear suspender... wang! Stripped another wrench. (suspension adjustment tool) This one was a replacement from ron ayers thats probably been used... five times? :cheerleader: Very frustrating.

Boy do I know that feeling. Best solution is to buy a shock from a wrecked ABS model with the remote preload adjuster!

However in the intervening years I have used an aftermarket tool - one of the ones which does both the shock and the swingarm pivot for chain slack adjustment (obviously at different ends of the wrench). It's pretty darned good, but it does work best when hooked on in a particular way. In other words, there is an art to how you hook the tool on and pull it round. If you get it wrong, it's skinned knuckles time!

I'm not sure if I can explain exactly what the perfect mount/grip is, but if you experiment a bit you will feel when it's locked in tight and unlikely to slip.

My first oem one turned to junk. I may of used it for the chain by mistake. . . However I cut the groove deeper so it has a much more secure bite.

Maybe you need a fancy anodized race version. I hate the screwdriver method, it can get ugly quick. There is a ton of pressure on the pre-load collar. It surprised me,

• Member Contributer

When it hasn't been adjusted in a while, I put the bike on the centerstand and use the hammer/screwdriver method to get things moving then switch over to the wrench.

I'm very frustrated. Got a baby sitter today for the first time so I could take the wife on her first ride since the baby. Weather was perfect, dusted off her gear, warmed up the bike, oh yeah gotta crank up the rear suspender... wang! Stripped another wrench. (suspension adjustment tool) This one was a replacement from ron ayers thats probably been used... five times? :cheerleader: Very frustrating.

Boy do I know that feeling. Best solution is to buy a shock from a wrecked ABS model with the remote preload adjuster!

:wheel:

As I never adjust mine I don't have an issue myself (set once and forget) think the stock ABS shock would be great for people who two-up often. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure if I can explain exactly what the perfect mount/grip is, but if you experiment a bit you will feel when it's locked in tight and unlikely to slip.

I've found if the wrench isn't exactly parallel to the collar, if the end is up or down a little bit it will fling right out damaging your tool, your knuckles, but not moving the shock.

I now have an ABS model and the remote preload is really nice for two up/loaded up for a long trip riding.

I have only adjusted mine once or twice, but I have always used a large slip joint pliers.

I would be hesitant to use a screwdriver and hammer... my experience from work tells me that is a losing game that will cost you more in the long run than another wrench would.

• Member Contributer

All you need is a shop rag and a pair of channel lock pliers. Put the bike on the center stand. Be gentle, no fuss, no muss.

Mac

I'm very frustrated. Got a baby sitter today for the first time so I could take the wife on her first ride since the baby. Weather was perfect, dusted off her gear, warmed up the bike, oh yeah gotta crank up the rear suspender... wang! Stripped another wrench. (suspension adjustment tool) This one was a replacement from ron ayers thats probably been used... five times? :fing02: Very frustrating.

Andy, call me if you want me to bring my adjuster to work. It could be that you just haven't changed yours that much and it is stiff. I'll check, I might have two of the Honda tools. Crash

I do have two of the tools....I left you a voice message on your phone...mine adjusts fairly easy and it hasn't been moved more than 6 times in it's 8 years! Crash

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the quick replies! I tried the large screw driver and hammer act after I stripped the first wrench to no avail. Its true that I probably didn't have the wrench perfectly perpendicular and its also true that the metal of the wrench is pathetically soft.

I like the channel locks idea! I'll also try grinding the notch a little deeper. Maybe when I get the tax return a shock from an ABS model will be in my future. It had not occurred to me to look for a used ABS model shock. I was always just drooling over expensive after market replacements.

As always the good members of VFRD come through.

I'm very frustrated. Got a baby sitter today for the first time so I could take the wife on her first ride since the baby. Weather was perfect, dusted off her gear, warmed up the bike, oh yeah gotta crank up the rear suspender... wang! Stripped another wrench. (suspension adjustment tool) This one was a replacement from ron ayers thats probably been used... five times? warranty.gif Very frustrating.

are you ajusting with weight off the rear wheel

Yep, I use a big ol set of channel locks. If you fit it in there just right, the lower jaw locks into the groove, and the teeth on the upper grab ahold real nice. If your worried about scarring it up, wrap it with a shop rag.

Archived