Best method to remove stickers

Bruckner

• Member Contributer

Marinate the sticker with WD-40. It will soften the adhesive around the edges allowing you to peel back slightly. Repeat until sticker is completely removed. Clean off WD-40 residue with whatever soapy substance you normally wash the bike.

• Member Contributer

Heat (hair dryer) and a product called "goo be gone". If you need to scrape at it, use a credit card wrapped in a soft cloth.

• Member Contributer

WD-40 and a brand new plastic bondo applicator spatula (they come in a 3-pack for like $2.50). Be careful not to go too fast, let the WD work in and dissolve the adhesive as you peel up the vinyl decal and expose more adhesive. Let the WD do the work, don't push or pull to hard and tear the decal or use too much force with the spatula. Just use it to lever it up a bit and expose more adhesive to the WD-40 so it can dissolve, not pry the sticker all the way off in one shot.

WD-40 and a brand new plastic bondo applicator spatula (they come in a 3-pack for like $2.50). Be careful not to go too fast, let the WD work in and dissolve the adhesive as you peel up the vinyl decal and expose more adhesive. Let the WD do the work, don't push or pull to hard and tear the decal or use too much force with the spatula. Just use it to lever it up a bit and expose more adhesive to the WD-40 so it can dissolve, not pry the sticker all the way off in one shot.

Rubbing alcohol does the same thing without risk of softening the paint.

• Member Contributer

Gun cleaning solution works wonders! (and no, i'm not kidding!)

The WD40 approach required more patience than I had, so after experimenting with a scrap part of an upper cowl which had a sticker on it, I determined that the steam approach was fastest yet safe, the sticker peeled right off after exposing it to kettle steam (gotta use what's available!) for about 15 seconds. Only trouble, I have residue of adhesive on the paint, now going back to WD40 to dissolve it, hoping it works!

Regards,

Bruckner

• Member Contributer

I used a heat gun (CAREFULLY!) for the first half of the job. If WD-40 doesn't take the remaining residue off, "Goo Gone" will. Plus your bike will smell all fresh and cittrus-y. :fing02:

The WD40 approach required more patience than I had, so after experimenting with a scrap part of an upper cowl which had a sticker on it, I determined that the steam approach was fastest yet safe, the sticker peeled right off after exposing it to kettle steam (gotta use what's available!) for about 15 seconds. Only trouble, I have residue of adhesive on the paint, now going back to WD40 to dissolve it, hoping it works!

Regards,

Bruckner

• Member Contributer

Sandblaster or beltsander with 50 grit :laughing6-hehe:

But only if its your ex-wifes bike.

Sorry there has to be one in every group right?

And I was going to say photoshop...

• 3 months later...

hot soapy water first, then heat gun on low heat (hair dryer is the best) to soften the decal and use a very thin sharp blade the lift a corner and then peal. I used a blade from a single blade razor. after removing all the stickers i then used tar/bug remover to lift the residue. Washed the bike finally and hey presto pristine clean and unmarked bike.

• 1 month later...

Remove as much of the sticker as you can with your finger nail, then use rubbing alcohol to dissolve the adhesive.

The thumb has the toughest nail. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Remove as much of the sticker as you can with your finger nail, then use rubbing alcohol to dissolve the adhesive.

The thumb has the toughest nail. :biggrin:

The pinky is rather strong as well!

• 6 months later...

Hairdryer to melt the glue, nail to pry off (keep warming with hairdryer as you go along)

Then WD-40 to clean glue residue

Make sure you wash off the WD. It will damage your paint.

Make sure you wash off the WD. It will damage your paint.

?? is that so.... I always thought WD-40 was the most paint-friendly product on the market? That's good info, ... new to me

Archived