Metzlers now come with a lean indicator

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

MetzelerSportecM5Intetract_5.jpg

Lean Indicator

An additional motorcycle tyre first comes from the Sportec M5’s new lean indicator which offers riders visual confirmation of the maximum level of the tyre’s usage: riders can verify which of the 5-stage markings were contacted while riding. The five lean indicator markings are placed on the shoulder of the rear tyre where the profile meets the road surface at angles of approximately 25°, 30°, 35°, 40° and 45° (depending on vehicle weight and tyre pressure)

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/products/newproducts/sportecm5/product_features/default.page

• Member Contributer

I don't see the point when the amount of lean a bike has incurred can be seen from 15 feet away from a tire.

And, where's the lawsuit liability?? The tire is manufactured to lean all the way to the end of the tread and Metzler has no control over what people do with motorcycles, cars, buses, chainsaws, or anything else in the world. The problem is people that take no responsibility or accountability of their own actions and lack of tort reform due to this country being governed by lawyers. Yes, this is a sore point with me. Rant over and out.... :rolleyes:

Be happy....ride a VFR.... :wheel:

I don't see the point when the amount of lean a bike has incurred can be seen from 15 feet away from a tire.

And, where's the lawsuit liability?? The tire is manufactured to lean all the way to the end of the tread and Metzler has no control over what people do with motorcycles, cars, buses, chainsaws, or anything else in the world. The problem is people that take no responsibility or accountability of their own actions and lack of tort reform due to this country being governed by lawyers. Yes, this is a sore point with me. Rant over and out.... :rolleyes:

Be happy....ride a VFR.... :wheel:

Come on.. you know some squid will buy a set and go out first day a wreck. Then he'll blame it on the pictures on the tire saying that he was only leaning as far as the tire says he could. I'm with you, sore subject with me as well but it's just the way our world is.

Funny, the first Honda Hoot I every went to was in 2000. I signed up for the "Sport Ride"(what a Joke!) and I was solo, so I rode around the parking lot full of bikes looking at Chicken Stripes and found two bikes with the smallest ones. It was a pair of BMW riders, I asked if I could tag along and we hard a decent ride for the most part. There were not fast, but had good skills and didn't stop for the turns. Ended up going solo again sometime after lunch as the One Turn in the first half of the Sport Ride was just too much for me and a 50 bike follow the leader wasn't my idea of fun. :wheel:

This was my first time to the area and when I split off I ended up finding the Dragon and a BUNCH of great roads to ride for the next few days.

Never went back to a Hoot and returned to the TN/GA/NC triangle as often as possible! :rolleyes:

BR

• Member Contributer
squid.gif Yes, this is an invite to squids to kill the elephant...It will probably happen on brand new tires without a scrub in....should be pretty exciting...like the cold night a squid.gif squid co-worker tossed his brand new (it WAS such a pretty bike) GSX-R 750 across my works parking lot due to cold tires at 2am, (hey, guess what, no gear or helmet...he got his coolness factor a reality check that night). My elephant was gone without me seeing it, it all depends on the area I take a trip through, lately have really squared-off tires as missing NC/TN twisties. I could care less if you have chicken strips....I do order chicken strips for lunch when out on a ride as it makes me chuckle. goofy.gif PS-marketing does work as I am thinking would be interesting to try to kill the 5 and elephant , also keeping the 1234 as new as possible....see they are reeling you in with stupid gimmicks....my reason to buy a tire is simple....UNDER $100 , elephants or angels not needed.

Funny, the first Honda Hoot I every went to was in 2000. I signed up for the "Sport Ride"(what a Joke!) and I was solo, so I rode around the parking lot full of bikes looking at Chicken Stripes and found two bikes with the smallest ones. It was a pair of BMW riders, I asked if I could tag along and we hard a decent ride for the most part. There were not fast, but had good skills and didn't stop for the turns. Ended up going solo again sometime after lunch as the One Turn in the first half of the Sport Ride was just too much for me and a 50 bike follow the leader wasn't my idea of fun. :wheel:

This was my first time to the area and when I split off I ended up finding the Dragon and a BUNCH of great roads to ride for the next few days.

Never went back to a Hoot and returned to the TN/GA/NC triangle as often as possible! :rolleyes:

BR

Tires are the true tell. To be honest, on the street I typically don't get all the way to the edge anymore. I can still carry more than enough speed through the twisties without using the edge. I usually have about 1/2 inch strip on the front and 1/8th to 1/4 inch strip on the rear. I run a pretty respectable pace, typically in front. I just don't need to use the entire tire on the street. On the track they're melted to the edge but that kinda pace on the street is a little too risky. My max on the street is 75% of what I'm capable of. That being said, I can't remember ever meeting anyone with 1 inch chicken strips that knew how to ride through a turn.

• Member Contributer

BR

And now you're just common crotch rocket trash like the rest of us.... :wheel:

Funny, the first Honda Hoot I every went to was in 2000. I signed up for the "Sport Ride"(what a Joke!) and I was solo, so I rode around the parking lot full of bikes looking at Chicken Stripes and found two bikes with the smallest ones. It was a pair of BMW riders, I asked if I could tag along and we hard a decent ride for the most part. There were not fast, but had good skills and didn't stop for the turns. Ended up going solo again sometime after lunch as the One Turn in the first half of the Sport Ride was just too much for me and a 50 bike follow the leader wasn't my idea of fun. :blush:

BR

And now you're just common crotch rocket trash like the rest of us.... :wheel:

Actually after busting myself up I might be a 2-3 number guy now! :wheel:

• Member Contributer

And, where's the lawsuit liability?? The tire is manufactured to lean all the way to the end of the tread and Metzler has no control over what people do with motorcycles, cars, buses, chainsaws, or anything else in the world. The problem is people that take no responsibility or accountability of their own actions and lack of tort reform due to this country being governed by lawyers. Yes, this is a sore point with me. Rant over and out.... :goofy:

Be happy....ride a VFR.... :goofy:

Come on.. you know some squid will buy a set and go out first day a wreck. Then he'll blame it on the pictures on the tire saying that he was only leaning as far as the tire says he could. I'm with you, sore subject with me as well but it's just the way our world is.

Not the world, just the good old USA. I don't believe there's one other country that permits such stupidity in their legal systems.

• Member Contributer

So you'll have elephant strips instead of chicken strips. :goofy:

Oh my..... :goofy:

• Forum CEO

I have gotten pretty good at killing the fat bastid (the michelin man), but that damned elephant is a different story. Those Z6's I had on there would sucker me in with food feedback than all of a sudden - SIDEWAYS - for a good 6 inches and destroy my confidence. I never could get a handle on when it was going to slide it would just slid out at the worst times. Freaking side winds too, would make my bike slide if I was leaning over. I never really killed the elephant!

• Member Contributer

I have gotten pretty good at killing the fat bastid (the michelin man), but that damned elephant is a different story. Those Z6's I had on there would sucker me in with food feedback than all of a sudden - SIDEWAYS - for a good 6 inches and destroy my confidence. I never could get a handle on when it was going to slide it would just slid out at the worst times. Freaking side winds too, would make my bike slide if I was leaning over. I never really killed the elephant!

I had the same problem of Z6's sliding but still killed the elephant. :goofy:

When my rear end slides like that (seldom if ever now), I very smoothly but quickly apply a little bit of throttle and it has always quit sliding and continued forward nicely without jerking into a high side. That's part of the reason I don't use them anymore.....got tired of the practice... :goofy:

• Forum CEO

Yea they put in a lean indicator but the TREAD indicator on the z6's well that was just when you had cords showing all of a sudden! Hated those tires! Never again! M1's too they were OEM honda tires for a while, they sucked hind tit too!

• Member Contributer

Tires are the true tell. To be honest, on the street I typically don't get all the way to the edge anymore. I can still carry more than enough speed through the twisties without using the edge. I usually have about 1/2 inch strip on the front and 1/8th to 1/4 inch strip on the rear. I run a pretty respectable pace, typically in front. I just don't need to use the entire tire on the street. On the track they're melted to the edge but that kinda pace on the street is a little too risky. My max on the street is 75% of what I'm capable of. That being said, I can't remember ever meeting anyone with 1 inch chicken strips that knew how to ride through a turn.

I used to think the smaller the chickenstrips, the better the rider. Now I know that at speeds that are appropriate for the street, with good technique you should have PLENTY of lean angle left in reserve, and therefore LARGER chicken strips. Better technique = less lean.

But then again, not many twisties around here.

Funny, the first Honda Hoot I every went to was in 2000. I signed up for the "Sport Ride"(what a Joke!) and I was solo, so I rode around the parking lot full of bikes looking at Chicken Stripes and found two bikes with the smallest ones. It was a pair of BMW riders, I asked if I could tag along and we hard a decent ride for the most part. There were not fast, but had good skills and didn't stop for the turns. Ended up going solo again sometime after lunch as the One Turn in the first half of the Sport Ride was just too much for me and a 50 bike follow the leader wasn't my idea of fun. :huh:

Never went back to a Hoot and returned to the TN/GA/NC triangle as often as possible! :fing02:

BR

Does not play well with others! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

I like my Z6's. I'm on my third set with nothing but good to say about them. Now the OEM Dunlop D204's my 04 came with...those stunk on ice.

And, where's the lawsuit liability?? The tire is manufactured to lean all the way to the end of the tread and Metzler has no control over what people do with motorcycles, cars, buses, chainsaws, or anything else in the world. The problem is people that take no responsibility or accountability of their own actions and lack of tort reform due to this country being governed by lawyers. Yes, this is a sore point with me. Rant over and out.... :fing02:

Be happy....ride a VFR.... :laugh:

Not the world, just the good old USA. I don't believe there's one other country that permits such stupidity in their legal systems.

Very true.. I miss spoke. My wife is in law and it's shocking to me how screwed up our legal system is.

• Member Contributer

I've never trusted Metzlers, and adding crap on the tire so that squids can sit and compare their lean indicators doesn't mean anything. I prefer wiping the 2CT indicator off my fatmans.

0626091407a.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've never trusted Metzlers, and adding crap on the tire so that squids can sit and compare their lean indicators doesn't mean anything. I prefer wiping the 2CT indicator off my fatmans.

0626091407a.jpg

I thought the lean indicators on your bike were the pavement gouges in your hard bags. :laugh:

For me, I get a kick out of chopping the head and arm off of Bib.:fing02:

• 7 months later...

Archived