• Replace the seat
    • Add Luggage/aftermarket luggage
    • Change tires
    • Replace the shock
    • Aftermarket front cowl/headlight
    • Different colors
    • Add Heated Grips/gear
    • Add accessory power outlet

Id go for the aftermarket fuel tanks that fit on in the same place as the paniers.

Honda say they give a 1000km range and you can jettison them on the move too.

Yeah not really.

As the 1200 motor is smaller Id like to know whose going to be the first to

shoehorn a 1200 into an earlier gen.

Exhaust is my answer.

Staintune anyone?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the 1200 motor is smaller Id like to know whose going to be the first to

shoehorn a 1200 into an earlier gen.

Will anyone be stupid enough to attempt it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

voted bigger gas tank.

The first thing i would do is raise the tank and see how much space is under that hump, and then look at larger tanks to fit under the skin.

Need a form fitting aux tank underneath the seat. :fing02: To be honest I'd opt for hard cases, heated grips and the aux tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course, the exhaust!

I didn't even ride my off of the showroom floor before getting that started. Two Brother Racing picked it up for me and is fabricating a full exhaust with a CF muffler. Should get it back later this week :goofy: They'll start selling the system they come up with, so I'll post pics for everyone's opinions.

• Member Contributer

Well, based on the 530 or so miles I have on mine in 2 days of riding.... See ride report post

#1 SEAT! SEAT SEAT SEAT, get a seat that's worth a Sh*it....where are you Sargents???

#2 Helibars

#3 would be the can.....Akropvic low mount slip-on, on order now!

#4 would be a MRA type windscreen, because I like them!

The rest, TBD.

Okay, here it is.

Two Brothers Racing really hooked it up! The exhaust note is sweet and throaty but still legal (>98dB.) I might take out the insert to see if it is even better.

The exhaust lost 8 lbs. and it puts out 5 more horses through the middle.

Next is the fuel controller they're working on. Should be a couple of weeks and that'll be installed. Gonna CF a bunch of the flimsy panels covering the sides and bottom. I think it needs a hugger and an undertail to get rid of that nasty fender, too.

Thanks to the guys at Two Brothers - Joel is the MAN!

http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&sku=005-28704&searchstart=0&template=Templates/TBRSearchResult-Simple-Hon-VFR1200_SO_10.html

post-11804-127449613731_thumb.jpg

post-11804-127449615309_thumb.jpg

post-11804-127449629048_thumb.jpg

post-11804-127449649414_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I hav voted for aa bigger tank. That is - If I really would change anything. Mine is with a ready-to-go kit som i have heated grips and all that jazz. The exhaust I actually like. Honestly - I'm 55 years old and I stop every one or two hours anyway and then I might as well fill the tank.

The seat however is slippery. Its not so bad in the riders seat but the passenger seat is very bad. I have helped it guite a lot with a "Tribo-seat cover" a very effecient and cheap solution. I do wonder why someone would spand this amount of money and time on develiping such a powerful thing without considering the safety og the passenger

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

If I keep my choices realistic - then I'd go for Honda's low seat option. I liked the shape better when I sat on it at the NYC show.

After that, I'd be testing out the reach of the peg feelers, so making sure the suspension is tuned for me would be next, along with a nice set of tires. Then ride the thing and figure what to do next, cuz ya know, it never ends... !

I agree with Seb, the lowered seat feels better to me. Next up is the powerlet and exhaust. I ordered my lowered seat yesterday. And, holy h e hockeystick hockeystick, I finally get to vote on this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Bike came with heated grips, in the first week I ordered the OEM bags, double bubble windscreen, a touring screen, new slip-on exhaust, Bazzaz Z-Bomb. I am looking at RAM mounts to see if I can get the iPhone to work as a GPS unit/phone/mp3/radio stream. Then going to ride it a month or so and see if power commander is needed for how I ride it, and see how accurate the gas guage is. Over the winter I am going to shop for deals on a hard trunk. Other than that, I will not spend any more money on the bike (cough cough)

I have fitted an ohlins shock en cartriges. Best money spended ever. The dealer flashed the ecu. I have updated the firmware of the PC-v and put some new maps in it. The VFR1200 is more fuel efficient now. from 13,5 km/L to 15km/l

I have fitted S20 tires on the bike. Makes the steering much quik. Rear tire S20 is wearing too fast so gone fit a Bt016 pro on the rear.

So what is the best mod:

1st beter quality suspension espessialy when riding fast on twisty roads.

2nd ecu update in combination with new maps

3rd Akrapovic exhaust for more grunt and a beter sound

4th removal of the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions.

First thing I got was the SW Motech top rack, so I can carry a top case. Other farkles are great, but without hard luggage, to me, a bike is not much more than a Sunday joyride machine.

Put on a set of the Knight Designs footpegs, lowered the brake pedal as much as the adjusting nut would allow (enough)...

Removed the little 'retaining rings' on the upper fork tubes, and raised the clip-ons about 1/2", so the clip-on top is about 1/8" above the top of the fork.

Made a little, but noticeable difference.

Ordered a Corbin with a slightly raised seat pocket - though it's mostly to have the Ovalbak backrest for when the wife is along.

She doesn't ride with me often, but we'll do one or two long trips a year together, and I want her to be comfortable for a couple weeks and 5k miles at a time.

She loved the Guzzi Stelvio as a place to take a road trip, and the ST1300 with topbox.

This is a "me" bike, not an "us" bike....so I'm doing my best to make it something she likes.

As it is, I think the stock seat is very comfortable, and would not have replaced it except to get a backrest for her.

I'm not a big fan of top boxes, so didn't go the SW-Motech way.

• Member Contributer

I ordered the SW Motech rack, and a tank protector, knee pads since I am already noticing micro-scratches where my "non-abrasive" jacket is rubbing on the tank.

Just installed my ALU-RACK. Just as an FYI, be careful when inserting the plastic caps (you will know what I mean when you look at the directions). My rack seemed to have an extra coat of powder coat... This made the caps very difficult to install... I got one in and broke 3. Still need to source some spares.

Also, before installing the rack on your bike, check the threaded holes. Mine all had powder coating on the threads and ALL needed to be re-taped. Looks great installed but SW Motech's QA is crap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Just installed my ALU-RACK. Just as an FYI, be careful when inserting the plastic caps (you will know what I mean when you look at the directions). My rack seemed to have an extra coat of powder coat... This made the caps very difficult to install... I got one in and broke 3. Still need to source some spares.

Yap. Broken one when I installed an ALU rack on a Sprint ST 1050. It works a lot better if you lube the inside of the tube as well as the "splines" on the cap. Might sound disgusting, but spit works great. Slick as, uh... spit, and water-based, so it dries without residue.

• 1 month later...
  • Forum CEO

I put on Ulysses pegs on which lowered the pegs about an inch, then rode Push mountain on the way to Tmac, scraping the feelers every time I went around a left turn. It unnerved me so I took off the feelers but still was scraping my boot. Took the damn things off and put on the oem pegs cause I was still having knee pains. I can deal with the pain as long as I have clearance. I suppose lower pegs work for some but boy I hate scraping stuff, freaks me out.

Adjusted the top of the shifter to lower the petal

Ground down the top of the Buell Pegs

Top of the peg

Compared to OEM pegs

Lower Foot Pegs

Lower Foot Pegs

Lowering the Brake Petal

med_gallery_491_3604_1264962.jpg

@HispanicSlammer: Have you thought about doing something with the heel guards on your bike? That wear is the worst I've seen. I had an HTC G2 that did something similar on the back cover (seem image below) and it was just a coating that was wearing off. An hour or so of wet sanding and it was like new... I wonder if the same will apply here. A sanded (read brushed) aluminum look here may look better than that.

img20101213023040.jpg

• Member Contributer

I am disappointed to hear about the bell pegs, I have new ones in the package I was going to try. I assume the Knight pegs have the same issues?

Have replaced the seat with a Russell Day Long sport seat (comfortable, but a bit bulky), helibars, throttlemeister cruise control, shorty levers, new Knight Design lower pegs with the rubber insert (absolutely a wonderful modification), Givi windscreen, 3-M clear protection, and factory bags.

All that is left to do is the exhaust.

Archived