A "what if?" tire question (stupid one)

DougFromIndy

• Member Contributer

hey, You can buy a set of these for $140.

same compound as a pilot power.

tread pattern not important to me.

So , let me ask a stupid question here...

is the profile less rounded?? that would make it a bad choice on VFR

just wanting some info on a not so good idea? dunno but $14o on a set makes me search for info.

So you are checking out tire specs online and want to know if a profile is rounded or squared off...where do you find this info? the all important "turn in" ..how do tire makers specify this or do they?

b680_12.jpg

I think these are Michelin's answer to the Pirellis used on the Sportclassics.

I don't see how they could be BAD, just different.

As long as you ride within their capabilities, they wouldn't work any worse than any other tire.

I can't find the Michelins on their website, and I read a post on a Ducati board that said they wer discontinued.

Maybe that's why they are so cheap? Blowing out the last of the stock?

post-554-126499937473.jpg

• Member Contributer

These are for ducati classics but I wonder how rounded they are? turn-in? same sizes as a vfr

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=pilotclassic

read the link , at $140 per set shipped I am going to buy a set.

unless somebody sez is a terrible idea

• Member Contributer

You might find that the central rain groove makes them a bit skittish on road paint, and that they'll 'track' a bit over cracks and grooves. OTOH they'll likely grip as well as anything else in that tyre category.

Let us know.

These are for ducati classics but I wonder how rounded they are? turn-in? same sizes as a vfr

read the link , at $140 per set shipped I am going to buy a set.

unless somebody sez is a terrible idea

Well, they probably won't do as well in the rain, given the 25-30yr old tread pattern... but they should work fine otherwise?

I like them personally, I REALLY wanted a set of the Pirellis for my 83 Interceptor, but they didn't have a 120/170 set when I was looking for tires. I think they only make them in the 120/180 for the Duc's.

• Member Contributer
Well, they probably won't do as well in the rain, given the 25-30yr old tread pattern... but they should work fine otherwise?

I once read that the marketing department had a large influence on the tread pattern of tires. I know this sounds stupid, but if you take into consideration some basic engineering to ensure proper water dispersion and drainage, what's not to say the rest is not just made up to look good ?

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/pirelli-angel-st-tire-review-88755.html

• Member Contributer

I understand the center groove can cause "slot car" action as I call it, never a biggie as on a bt57f I have used.

The seller MotoRace on ebay says these work well on both 750 800 vfrs but only expect 5000miles as same compound as a pilot power, he says he has many sets for sale at $140 shipped , so super deal here.

I personally feel that tread pattern will be fine although is not a cool design like conti street attacks have.

Also Ducati forums have the sport classic 1000s running at extreme lean angles and comment that tires are sticky.

I think these are worth trying.

Hey Doug, MotoRace sells millions of Michelins and I've purchased from them before.

If it's the same compound as the PP, then profile will be the biggest factor in their handling in the Dry. Tread pattern would effect wet grip IMO.

Just ask MotoRace to compare the profiles to a PP which I'm sure he has in stock. :ph34r:

BR

I'm running a set on my bike now. So far I like them, but haven't had them in hard rain yet, just damp roads. The seem to hold fine in the corners and really didn't flat spot too bad on a trip to and from FL with a loaded down bike.

I'm gonna see if I can find another set and keep them for the next tire change.

EDIT: DougFromIndy, can you post a link to the tires on Ebay please?

• Member Contributer

From the site looks like they should de great a Sport Tourer Tire. The only thing I dont like is the groove in the center that could build up water with no where to go. For the price it looks good. I think Bike Bandit had these for about the same price as a closeout a few weeks back.

The OP asked about profile:

* Classic styling with modern-day grip and handling

* Same rubber compound as Pilot® Power tires

* Casing profile and construction based on Pilot® Road tires

* Original equipment on Ducati SportClassics

* Tread pattern inspired by the early-'80s Michelin® TG22 tire

* Tube-type or tubeless

* Recommended Michelin® tubes: 17MF front, 17MI3 rear

I dont believe those are Pilotpower compound, but the profiles will not be great for quick handling.

Okay for highway straightline stuff

I have to disagree with you. I have had these tires in the N.GA and NC mountains, while I'm no MotoGP contender I do keep a nice steady pace in the mountains and have had no complaints with these tires so far. Yes, the bike gets leaned over in the curves as there is not much a chicken strip left on the sides, not even enough to get the honey mustard out for. smile.gif

• 4 months later...

I'm a little late to join in, but I have some feedback to add on these tires. I put them on my '04 VFR when I bought the bike, so I have no experience with other tires on this bike. I have 4300 miles on the Pilot Classics now. I would say my riding style and skill level is average. I run them at 36/42 psi. I ride 2-up about 75% of the time. I thought turn-in was really good when they were new, and I was coming from a CBR with Pilot Powers. I have experienced the tracking problems common with the central groove on other tires, but I haven't noticed it at all with these tires, they always track straight. I try to avoid the slab, but I still have a flat spot in the center of the rear tire. The rear has about 3/32 tread depth left on the center groove, the front looks nearly new. Both tires have some cupping, but nothing I'd call excessive. Grip feels every bit as good as a Pilot Power (same rubber), but I rarely ride near the tire's limit. I've had them in heavy rain for short periods several times and have not had a problem. I really can't say anything bad about them, and for $140/pair to the door it's got to be the best value out there. I'll be getting another set soon unless the Pilot Powers drop down to this price. I actually like the retro look, though I really don't care what my tires look like.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd check the "born-on" date to make sure they're not a few years old. Otherwise, I'd go for them at that price!!

I picked up a nail in my rear tire last week, so I just got another set of Pilot Classics. My first set was purchased from Moto-Race last May for $200, they have date codes of 3006 and 4306 (30th and 43rd week of 2006). The new set also came from Moto-Race, they both have date codes of 3106.

Y'all beat me to it... they're Power compound and Road profile...

I've been told and can corroborate (at least on two sets of "old" tyres) that if they've never need used, a few years shouldn't be a big problem (and I'm a pretty aggressive rider), but if they've been through heating-cooling cycles (i.e. used) they won't be much good...

Archived