NEW WINTER GEAR REVIEW

skuuter

• Member Contributer

Well, it's finally stayin' cold enough, and I've been on the Bike long enough (even in the dark) to evaluate some new Gear I purchased before Winter.....HELMET First...Scorpion EXO 700 Solid...

exo700-neon.jpg

Very Quiet, and not a lota' Cold Air leakage around the Shield (They gota' leak some)...but, First Fog Free Shield I've ever owned that actually is. This thing won't fog up, even deliberately breathin' on it goin' down the road, or walk into a warm building with it...FANTASTIC... :biggrin:

Olympia Airglide 2 Jacket.....

airglide03.jpg

airglide06.jpg

First of all for those here that don't know me, Yes, that is me wearin' it....the rest of You "SHUT UP".... :goofy: ...Yes, my Olympia Phantom 1pc Suit is still warmer than this Jacket, but, it has been more than comfy enough for me to take a trip in, even in teen-temps. Not bad for a Jacket sold for comfy Summer ridin' also..... :laugh:

Olympia Weatherking 2 Gloves (#4100 Gore-Tex).....

4100_LR.jpg

Warmest Winter Gloves I've owned to date. I use no heated grips, or gear, so I probably have a higher-developed cold tolerance than most Folks after 40 years of all-season year-round ridin'....these have been the best I've used, and still have clutch & brake lever "feel"....I spent 101 miles total this morning at 13F to 16F before daylight ridin' at speeds mostly between 50/70 mph on Hwys 41-A, 64, 50,41, then a solid cruise at 82 mph down I-24 with this gear, and a thin long sleeve Deals Gap Shirt, Draggin' Jeans, ICON Leg Armor, S&J Cruiser Boots on and was plenty comfy...."BRING ON WINTER"..... :wheel: :blush:

YES, This Helmet and Jacket comes in Other Colors...I just wonder "WHY".... :beer:

• Member Contributer

damn skuuter, looking good, been working out? tongue.gif

olympia motorsports, imo, makes some very nice gear! just ordered my wife the airglide pants and jacket, should be very versitile riding gear for her! she wouldn't go for neon theme though, just basic black and silver.....lol

• Member Contributer

Yeah, you look taler somehow...

"REALLY".....must be the "COLOR"...... :wheel:

Yeah, Olympia makes some Hi-Q stuff. I picked up a pair of their Recon 2 Air Pants last Spring and just love 'em. You can wear them over slacks for commuting protection, over sweat pants for cooler months, or as is for the heat. They're heavy-duty Cordura with very functional mesh air flow panels and zip off above the CE knee armor to convert to shorts. Fit true to size, but they came with just foam padding at the hips. I refortified the hip area by adding some hard shell inserts that make them pretty substantial (for textile). Perfect for your more southerly climes...

Olympia_Recon_2_Air_Pants_Pewter_detail.JPG?1235167002

Hey Skuuter, is that you wearing my pants? :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Yeah, Olympia makes some Hi-Q stuff. I picked up a pair of their Recon 2 Air Pants last Spring and just love 'em. You can wear them over slacks for commuting protection, over sweat pants for cooler months, or as is for the heat. They're heavy-duty Cordura with very functional mesh air flow panels that zip off above the CE knee armor to convert to shorts. fit true to size, but came with just foam padding at the hips. I refortified the hip area by adding some hard shell inserts that make it pretty substantial (for textile). Perfect for your more southerly climes...

Olympia_Recon_2_Air_Pants_Pewter_detail.JPG?1235167002

Hey Skuuter, is that you wearing my pants? :laugh:

......"maybe"......... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I've got the same model helmet (except another paint patern) but that thing is always fogging up. I normally have to coat it with an antifog wax. Is the shield factory of after market? I want my money back if yours is factory. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

I've got the same model helmet (except another paint patern) but that thing is always fogging up. I normally have to coat it with an antifog wax. Is the shield factory of after market? I want my money back if yours is factory. :goofy:

FACTORY......came with what Scorpion calls Their "New Fog Free Shield".....seriously, I can't make this thing fog up. At 80+ mph down I-24 this mornin' at 13 degrees, I tried to fog it up..."nothing"....even walked into the warm Manchester Wal Mart with it after comin' off the Interstate..."nothing".....never had anything like this...no ice, no condensation, no fogging.....it's GREAT..... :laugh: :beer: .....now get Your money back..... :goofy:

I've got the same model helmet (except another paint patern) but that thing is always fogging up. I normally have to coat it with an antifog wax. Is the shield factory of after market? I want my money back if yours is factory. :goofy:

See here for upgrading:

http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/replacement_shields/scorpion/everclear_no_fog_shield_for_exo_700_and_exo_400_motorcycle_helmets.html

It's only money! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

See here for upgrading:

http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/replacement_shields/scorpion/everclear_no_fog_shield_for_exo_700_and_exo_400_motorcycle_helmets.html

It's only money! :goofy:

THANKS for the LINK... :beer: ...I know that looks Pricey, but seriously, I've never used a Shield this Good, and I wouldn't post it if it didn't work this well. This Shield is included on Their New Helmets....I guess I lucked up... :laugh:

I just got a new EXO-400 Helmet,This thing is so quite... What??? .. I said quite...... I can't believe it, I can hear my tyres.... And totally fog free......... WOW

It's so what? Quiet... It is quite quiet!

Sorry it's the language arts teacher in me. wink.gif

I just got a new EXO-400 Helmet,This thing is so quite... What??? .. I said quite...... I can't believe it, I can hear my tyres.... And totally fog free......... WOW

Thanks for the catch ... I won't edit it, so it will make since to the pips reading it... Thx, It's the GED in me... :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the catch ... I won't edit it, so it will make since to the pips reading it... Thx, It's the GED in me... :rolleyes:

I understood you the first time. It was pretty obvious what you meant, at least to me. Don't sweat the small stuff!wink.gif

my nolan n102 would not fog with the anti fog insert in it, but that insert wears out after a season and then refuses to seal against the visor, BUT

I just bought an AGV S-4 and this morning at 20 degrees F, the thing would not fog no matter what. On the highway, I could see my breath inside the helmet, but still- no fogging. woot

3 lids and 1.5 successful anti-fogs

003-3.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've an EXO-400 and have found the anti-fog shield to be excellent as well. I still have noise with the thing, booming around the neck roll, stupid long neck. If I hunch my shoulders up like I'm impersonating a turtle it gets a lot quieter. This is an issue with all my helmets...

Timmy, how do you like that S-4? I've given them a hard look in the past, what's the noise like?

I really should go bug around on a Honda Hornet or similar forum and find out what helmet those guys say is quiet, with my cut down windshield, my riding experience inre: wind & noise is pretty different from most people here I think...

Timmy, how do you like that S-4? I've given them a hard look in the past, what's the noise like?

I really should go bug around on a Honda Hornet or similar forum and find out what helmet those guys say is quiet, with my cut down windshield, my riding experience inre: wind & noise is pretty different from most people here I think...

The wind noise is a ton better than my Nolan flip-up, but that is to be expected. It is better than most but not super quiet. The thing that I love about the S-4 is it is SUPER-LIGHT. I mean so light that you have to readjust your senses when you pick it up. It only weighs .6 of a pound more than Arai's top of the line racing helmet that the pro's wear. The fit is true to size and they are "nuetral" shaped. I love it.

And I got it new on Ebay for 57 bucks.

• Member Contributer

The wind noise is a ton better than my Nolan flip-up, but that is to be expected. It is better than most but not super quiet. The thing that I love about the S-4 is it is SUPER-LIGHT. I mean so light that you have to readjust your senses when you pick it up. It only weighs .6 of a pound more than Arai's top of the line racing helmet that the pro's wear. The fit is true to size and they are "nuetral" shaped. I love it.

And I got it new on Ebay for 57 bucks.

How does the sizing compare to your EXO-400? Like, if you're a Large in EXO-400, are you a Large in S-4? Does it compare closely to the head shaping of the EXO-400, and which is quieter? Tell me everything you know about a purchase I would like to make but can't right now!

Ive never tried an EXO 400 on, but I can go to the bike shop and try one on and let you know. There is a thread I started a few weeks ago about comparisons in helmet sizing to answer just these kind of questions. I figured with enough cross-referencing, it could be helpful.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56243&st=0&p=666023&fromsearch=1entry666023

If it helps, an Arai Quantim XL and the S-4 fit exactly the same. I had my earphone in this moring, but I'll go home from work commando and let you know about the wind noise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK, my Scorpion "No-Fog" Shield is still just that...NO-FOG..... :fing02: ...even in this mornin's 85 mph jaunt down I-24 at 9F, it will not fog or ice. Never had anything like it, and I've had other so-called "Fog-Free-Shields". You can even walk into a warm building or breath on it in super cold temps....."nothing"....makes Night Ridin' a lot more pleasurable...I highly recommend this... :fing02: :beer:

• Member Contributer

OK, my Scorpion "No-Fog" Shield is still just that...NO-FOG..... :fing02: ...even in this mornin's 85 mph jaunt down I-24 at 9F, it will not fog or ice. Never had anything like it, and I've had other so-called "Fog-Free-Shields". You can even walk into a warm building or breath on it in super cold temps....."nothing"....makes Night Ridin' a lot more pleasurable...I highly recommend this... :fing02: :beer:

I too am a fan of the EXO's but bear in mind they do have limitations. The INSIDE of mine frosted over this last weekend. Make sure you keep at least one of the vents open, otherwise the moisture has no where to go and it will eventually build up on the visor. Ambient temp was about 16F at the BRP - on the way back down I had to pull over, take off my helmet, take off the visor, stuff it under my jacket for a few minutes, reinstall, open rear vents, put back on and continue on my merry way. All was well after that.

Also another thing to note...eventually the anti-fog coating on the inside will wear off with cleaning. I try to stick to just a wet paper towel for cleaning the inside. Reguardless you will still only get about 1-2 years before the coating gives up.

Just my observations.

• Member Contributer

My Suomy never fogged, ever! I wish I could say the same for my Arai. You'd think for that kind of coin and so many years in business they could have come up with a no-fog shield by now.

Ugh, paper towels are very abrasive. Ask an optometrist.

Yes. Use a nice soft cloth if you don't want a multitude of fine scratches in it. :fing02:

Archived