Hossackviffer Mkii

redmarque

Seb:

You've got to learn how to weld/braze with an oxy/acetylene set-up! Affordable for guys like us and probably the handiest skill in the world to have. I'll get a TIG set-up after I win the lottery. I think it is also a great skill to have to prep you for TIG & MIG welding. I go months sometimes without ever touching my bottles, but there are so many times when it is the only solution to a problem.

Like several articles I read on aircraft airframe sites say, how do you think they welded airplanes together before TIG & MIG came along? TIG and MIG are just faster versions of the same process.

Pete

Well, I'm already certified to TIG weld aircraft aluminum and stainless, dabbled with titanium, and I've taken a MIG class and have a pretty good handle on that along with owning a small POS 110v wire feed welder. I wouldn't mind owning/learning to use a torch rig, but I'd rather put the $400+ towards a used TIG machine. Onwards & upwards baby!! :fing02: Right now any more equipment than I have is a bit unreachable, so I'm going to keep my goals high.

Guest FactoryRC46

Perhaps you can get some input from the man himself? He can be reached here: nhossack@volcanocorp.com

Hi RC46, Are you lucky enough to know Norman H personally?

I would like to have a conversation with him but only announced/introduced (call me old fashioned) :fing02:

Hi There, I logged in as a new member RC46 because I brain-farted my original info. But I've managed to scoop it up - So I'm back again as FactoryRC46.

Yes, I do know Norman Hossack personally, we have the same employer here in Sacramento, CA. A native of Rhodesia, he is a very interesting man with quite a history in motrocycles and motorsport. Did you know he's a former Isle of Mann competitor from serval decades ago? Or that he has had past involvment in LaMans management/planning?

Several manufacturers and the British military have shown interest in his front suspension design and he has developed the design for their needs. Only BMW chose to adopt it in their Paralever scheme, and that was only immediately after Norman had exhausted his resources to defend his patent. Unfortunate.

He does have two daily rides, a Ducati ST3, and a BMW K100 that has been fitted with a Hossack front end that is constructed from formed/welded thinwall sheet; I'll get a picture and attach. He's put tens of thousands on miles on it and it has proven very durable. And, one of the key points is how much weight savings is offered - you may be going over-stout on your version. BTW - The Hossack is being used by high mountain bikes also.

Message me your contact info and I'll see about an intro. Not sure of his feelings given the history with his design and the outcome with BMW.

Cheers,

FactoryRC46

• Member Contributer

Hi There, I logged in as a new member RC46 because I brain-farted my original info. But I've managed to scoop it up - So I'm back again as FactoryRC46.

Yes, I do know Norman Hossack personally, we have the same employer here in Sacramento, CA. A native of Rhodesia, he is a very interesting man with quite a history in motrocycles and motorsport. Did you know he's a former Isle of Mann competitor from serval decades ago? Or that he has had past involvment in LaMans management/planning?

Several manufacturers and the British military have shown interest in his front suspension design and he has developed the design for their needs. Only BMW chose to adopt it in their Paralever scheme, and that was only immediately after Norman had exhausted his resources to defend his patent. Unfortunate.

He does have two daily rides, a Ducati ST3, and a BMW K100 that has been fitted with a Hossack front end that is constructed from formed/welded thinwall sheet; I'll get a picture and attach. He's put tens of thousands on miles on it and it has proven very durable. And, one of the key points is how much weight savings is offered - you may be going over-stout on your version. BTW - The Hossack is being used by high mountain bikes also.

Message me your contact info and I'll see about an intro. Not sure of his feelings given the history with his design and the outcome with BMW.

Cheers,

FactoryRC46

Thanks RC Some how I thought you'd know him. afterall you knew his work email address!

Yes i've done a bit of research on him and looked at quite a few of his designs. For the others reading this thread might be interested in seeing the MOD bike and his BMW conversion on youtube:

Hossack on youtube

Also the Whyte Mountain bike PRST series which I think is based on his ideas:

2002_Whyte_PRST.jpg

I found it a real shame that BMW stuffed him over with regards to his patents, but that's big corporations for you... :fing02:

The BMW 'Duolever' design doesn't do his system justice either. most test riders say it's 'numb'

I'd be honoured to have Norman's input or whatever he can spare, or if he's fedup/had enough then will undersand.

I'll message you my details in a min.

Many thanks, Red.

• Member Contributer

Well how cool is that! :cool:

What the Whyte PRST 4? yeah I want one! You can't pedal standing up (honk) very well but they 'float' over anything rough x-country. have a look at the new whyte bike's rear quad-link/tara swingarm works. Whyte was a ex-F1 benetton suspension designer. Done rear's for Marin bikes too. :fing02:

Edited by redmarque

Well how cool is that! :cool:

What the Whyte PRST 4? yeah I want one! You can't pedal standing up (honk) very well but they 'float' over anything rough x-country. have a look at the new whyte bike's rear quad-link/tara swingarm works. Whyte was a ex-F1 benetton suspension designer. Done rear's for Marin bikes too. :fing02:

No, how cool is it that by being a member of VFRD, you now have a contact with the creator of the Hossack fork! :beer:

The MB is ok, bet it does better in the rough stuff than my 1980's Rock Shock-equipped Trek... :cool:

• Member Contributer

No, how cool is it that by being a member of VFRD, you now have a contact with the creator of the Hossack fork! :warranty:

Very, Mr Hossack is a living legend in my book.. Here's hoping he's receptive to some vfrdiscussion!

Guest Pete McCrary

Seb:

You've got to learn how to weld/braze with an oxy/acetylene set-up! Affordable for guys like us and probably the handiest skill in the world to have. I'll get a TIG set-up after I win the lottery. I think it is also a great skill to have to prep you for TIG & MIG welding. I go months sometimes without ever touching my bottles, but there are so many times when it is the only solution to a problem.

Like several articles I read on aircraft airframe sites say, how do you think they welded airplanes together before TIG & MIG came along? TIG and MIG are just faster versions of the same process.

Pete

Well, I'm already certified to TIG weld aircraft aluminum and stainless, dabbled with titanium, and I've taken a MIG class and have a pretty good handle on that along with owning a small POS 110v wire feed welder. I wouldn't mind owning/learning to use a torch rig, but I'd rather put the $400+ towards a used TIG machine. Onwards & upwards baby!! :warranty: Right now any more equipment than I have is a bit unreachable, so I'm going to keep my goals high.

Do you build rocket ships or something for a living?

Cheapest new TIG rig I have found is about $3500.

Not rockets, just parts for helicopters, jets & passenger planes. :biggrin:

Check this out, this is the one I want. We have one in our weld shop, and it's a great little machine. Welds as nice as from the big machines. it's not liquid cooled, but that's no biggie as you & I won't be making any ten foot long welds any time soon(I don't think?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/THERMAL-ARC-AM-185-AC-DC-TIG-STICK-WELDER-10-3073A-1_W0QQitemZ360201371783QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Welders?hash=item53ddacc087

• Member Contributer

I've got one of these for my Tig setup. It's only a light duty 150 amp, but enough for what I use it for.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oerlikon-Citig-1500-AC-DC-Tig-Welder-Auto-Helmet_W0QQitemZ370279228025QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item56365ca279

Bought a WP-20 small head watercooled torch for it too. Watercooler is made from a pair of honda firestorm Rad's and a central heating pump from ebay... works well. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Man, I really need to learn how to TIG weld (aluminum). I was looking over a guy's shoulder last week and it didn't look hard. People who are good at stuff often make it look easy, I'm sure that I would screw it up.

Redmarque - do you do your own welding? I'd say you'd have to be awful confident in your ability to make a motorcycle frame. That first ride is a leap of faith!

• Member Contributer

Redmarque - do you do your own welding? I'd say you'd have to be awful confident in your ability to make a motorcycle frame. That first ride is a leap of faith!

I did evening classes to learn MIG and Gas(Oxy/Acetylene) a few years ago.. (Gas welding is a beautiful art form, I see why the old guy's still love it)

Paid the guy who welded the last frame for me to show me the technique of Tig. Just started welding small pieces in steel. it seams simular but different going from Gas to Tig btw. I haven't done much with ali but like riding it's practice, practice - and more practice.

Yes, I remember climbing aboard hossackviffer mk1 with butterfly's in my stomach... thinking "what have I done!" :biggrin:

Edited by redmarque

• Member Contributer

Modelled the R1 radial calipers and mounting location.

Changed the fork width to get the correct caliper/disc offset of 22mm, plus spacing for the 296mm disc diameter.

radialmount.jpg

Still some modelling left to do... :biggrin:

1.Airbox

2.Tank

What you're doing is incredible!!! And here I was all stressed out about trying to make my RC-51 tail section a bolt-on mod(which it is btw...). Anyway, awesome work you're doing, and I'm really digging the engineering parts especially, and how you're coming up with fixes!!!

• Member Contributer

Give any thought to gusseting the inside of the V in the forks? Something to brace against the braking forces? I'd be interested to see if that makes a difference or not in stress analysis.

Yes Seb, there's serveral places that will probably require guesseting.

Thought this would be a solution to the radial brake mount area?

radfillet.jpg

• Member Contributer

What you're doing is incredible!!! And here I was all stressed out about trying to make my RC-51 tail section a bolt-on mod(which it is btw...). Anyway, awesome work you're doing, and I'm really digging the engineering parts especially, and how you're coming up with fixes!!!

Thanks Dude.. Really apreciate the encouragement! some of this design is stressing me out too... wish I was an engineer! :biggrin:

Thanks Dude.. Really apreciate the encouragement! some of this design is stressing me out too... wish I was an engineer! :biggrin:

Well...you know what they say about necessity and all that. However whay I did, and definitely what you're doing isn't necessity, but the constant presence of tinkeritis. I just can't leave good enough along, although I'm nowhere near this brave!!! Keep it up, and have a patent laywer on speed dial!!!

Guest Pete McCrary

Not rockets, just parts for helicopters, jets & passenger planes. :rolleyes:

Check this out, this is the one I want. We have one in our weld shop, and it's a great little machine. Welds as nice as from the big machines. it's not liquid cooled, but that's no biggie as you & I won't be making any ten foot long welds any time soon(I don't think?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item53ddacc087

Never heard of Thermal Arc. I can't believe that you can get Lincoln TIG machines at Wally World.

Guest Pete McCrary

Probably not telling you anything you don't know already, but I'm sure you're aware that some parts need to be machined before welding, some parts need to be machined after welding.

Fun is going to be figuring out which is which.

• Member Contributer

PM sent - I think!

Glenn

You mention that you've built an FFE before? Any chance we can see pictures/designs of it? what was it like to ride?

As to the Chassis list becoming a forum - that's really something i'd like to see (though haven't suggested on list) I would be seroiusly willing to help run one, if the list would agree? I believe a reliable bunch of admin volunteers is the key to HS's success.

PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

• Member Contributer

Never heard of Thermal Arc. I can't believe that you can get Lincoln TIG machines at Wally World.

Tried my hand at TIG welding today. Just walked up to the one in the Maintenace area and started blasting away. Put a really nice bead on a practice piece, then tried it on the real thing that I was working on. It turned out horrible. Oh well, I hoping that I could be lazy and not have to practice but it appears to not be the case.

Edited by JamieDaugherty

Tried my hand at TIG welding today. Just walked up to the one in the Maintenace area and started blasting away. Put a really nice bead on a practice piece, then tried it on the real thing that I was working on. It turned out horrible. Oh well, I hoping that I could be lazy and not have to practice but it appears to not be the case.

Sorry to continue the O/T, but, do you at least have someone knowledgeable that you can reference? Little things like gas flow, electrode size/shape/type, filler rod type per material, ac/dc setting, frequency start, etc, all play a huge role in how the weld turns out - nevermind the amp setting.

Tell me what you're trying to weld and I'll try and give you some pointers. PM might be better so we don't keep clogging up Red's thread...

It took me about a month to make a perfect 6" long fillet weld on .032" stainless sheet(has to pass xray and other tests to qualify for aircraft cert), then on the 1st day of the 5th week I made a passing weld on .040" aluminum. Funny that, they say aluminum is harder!

Also the Whyte Mountain bike PRST series which I think is based on his ideas:

2002_Whyte_PRST.jpg

Wow, haven't seen that - looks great. Not to hijack the welding topic, but my own modest interest in these crazy front ends is fueled by a Girvin Vector fork that I picked up at a garage sale for $5 and want to fit to an old school MTB someday, looks like this:

Girvin-Vector2.jpg

killerv900.jpg

I'd never seen these before I found mine, either. My 'working' crazy front end is the Headshok on my Cannondale Super V, I love it...

Enjoying Build II, Red, although I still can't believe that Build I is already done, dusted and consigned to the scrapheap! :blink:

• Member Contributer

Sorry to continue the O/T, but, do you at least have someone knowledgeable that you can reference? Little things like gas flow, electrode size/shape/type, filler rod type per material, ac/dc setting, frequency start, etc, all play a huge role in how the weld turns out - nevermind the amp setting.

I had a expert looking over my shoulder when I ran the test bead. He said "There, you got it" and walked away. That when I started having problems. No worries, I lack this little thing called 'talent' anyway. Another reason I'm so impressed with what Redmarque can do!