Safety And Color Coordination...

Infidel

• Member Contributer

Well... after watching about a billion movies on crashes and accidents, low sides, high sides... ect. ect. I think it is time for me to get some gear. Up until now, It has been jeans and a jeans jacket (and some low level mesh Tourmaster stuff), but that is going to change when I get home in December.

I was looking at this: (Red, White, and Black)

http://www.newenough.com/boots/racing_boot...ycle_boots.html

http://www.newenough.com/gloves/street_or_...cle_gloves.html

http://www.newenough.com/protective_appare...ycle_pants.html

http://www.newenough.com/protective_appare...cle_jacket.html

Do you guys attempt to match your gear or, do you prefer to mix and match to kind of clash? Do you think that would be a tad extreme in the "Looks like a Clown" catagory?

I own the 07 RWB and thought the red would compliment the bike as well as keep me safe.

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty OCD about matching gear with not only the same brand, but same color as well. I run a silver helmet, silver/white/black jacket and silver/black pants. Having good gear and increaseing visability is a wonderful goal, but it's not nearly as effective as riding defensively and expecting that every car out there is looking to kill you.

George

Once you've made the right decision to get gear, why not make it match? I ride a yellow bike and have yellow on my Honda leathers. It looks cool (kids point like you're a superhero or something) and it's doing its job. And kudos for making the decision!

• Member Contributer

Hey I have OCD too! I try to kinda match, but I also have two neon hi-liter yellow jackets and a mil-spec reflective vest for over the leather. I want to be SEEN so I reduce my chance of getting run over.

Go to a shop and try on everything you can. To me, fit is the most important. I'll wear what is comfortable.

• Member Contributer

Ok sweet... I was hoping I didn't look like a wanna be "Torque" dude or something. I figured the Red would give me pretty good visability. The jacket has the add on back and chest protector which I like.

Great guys! Thanks for the info.

• Member Contributer

HI-VIS , just try it and you have people pulling up next to you in cagers, "I sure cant miss you" or " I can see that helmet a mile away" ....I bought my scorpion helmet at $120 and my vest at k-mart/sears at $10 , this $130 has saved me on 3 seperate occaisions this year alone. I avoided getting run over by a giant red Dodge Ram truck.

I really believe this works, thanks Doug

colorado072.jpg

look at this pic on your computer from 15 feet away to test, you only see the hi-vis, 5-star rating and I will never ride again without it.

• Member Contributer

Hmmmmm....I need to add a Fresh, New Pic........... :laugh:

• Member Contributer
Hmmmmm....I need to add a Fresh, New Pic........... :laugh:

I know that Skuuter is the coolest guy in the US so I follow his style in riding gear....that makes me the 2nd coolest guy on a bike nationwide regardless of what you squids :laugh: wear be that camo or black. It takes awhile but you may realize getting stuck underneath a bus does NOT look cool, like this farmer that rode over me at a stoplight yesterday .... :laugh:

colorado211.jpg

• Member Contributer
Hmmmmm....I need to add a Fresh, New Pic........... :491:

I know that Skuuter is the coolest guy in the US so I follow his style in riding gear....that makes me the 2nd coolest guy on a bike nationwide regardless of what you squids :squid: wear be that camo or black. It takes awhile but you may realize getting stuck underneath a bus does NOT look cool, like this farmer that rode over me at a stoplight yesterday .... :laugh:

colorado211.jpg

HA Buddy.........Great Pic.......... :fing02: :beer: ....now, about that "cool skuuter" thingie......... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

On my previous bike (R6), I wore basic black with a matching silver/flames helmet. Just before trading up to the VFR, I got a TourMaster jacket in hi-vis and upgraded the helmet to a Suomy. The Suomy's a little dark (esp. compared to the jacket), but it's not too dark. And I like it!

Here's a pic on the R6.

3935890898_7b7799dc0e_o.jpg

I try to match too, but not carried away. I'm getting an all white helmet next and it kinda matches my bike and jackets. I have thought about the high -vis jacket, but it's not gonna work out with the Repsol colors on my bike. I think white and yellow helmets are the most visible and it'll probably be a little cooler in the summer.

4700_1162009725729_1092398558_30512078_2487029_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

For a while, I had a yellow bike, a purple/grey Aerostich, and fuschia hair. I wanted to get a green helmet, I figured it would be perfect with the ensemble; if their eyes were bleeding they couldn't say they didn't see me. But I ended up with a red one. smile.gif

More recently I was buying custom leathers, which I needed because I'm too tall for a proper woman, but too curvy to wear men's stuff. Since you can have any color you like, and I had a yellow bike and two red bikes, I ordered the leathers with yellow shoulders and a red stripe. There were two yellows in the swatch set so I ordered the one that matched my yellow bike. They sent me the other yellow. I decided not to make an issue of it, since it's not really that important.

My old red helmet looked great with those leathers, but when I replaced it I got a white one, and more recently I replaced the white with a yellow - and the yellow doesn't match the leathers, though it looked great with the bike. (That I sold two weeks after I got the helmet, LOL!)

When I got a textile suit I picked the hi-vis. Looks AWFUL with a yellow bike and a red helmet, but it's not bad with a red bike and a white helmet. :-)

The more I ride, the more I like hi-vis, yellow, and white as colors for my helmets and jackets. I'm partial to black for pants and boots because it doesn't show dirt.

Buy what feels good on, has good armor, and is what you can afford. Color is less important. But given a choice of colors I like lighter/brighter colors, especially up top, for traffic safety. Who cares if it clashes?

If they bring us the new VFR1200F in fuschia I will buy it, and color my hair to match, even though it will look awful with my yellow and red leathers. :biggrin:

v48.jpg

• Member Contributer

My jackets are black which kinda makes me feel like a dumbass compared to the smart, safe crowd here but when we get caught in a snowstorm who will be the smart one then?

In all seriousness, I always feel a little more visible when my wife is on the back of my bike in her red and white Alpinestars jacket.

• Member Contributer

I only felt like a dork with the hi-vis vest the first few rides, now I'm glad I have it.

I also read somewhere on a safety site that motorcyclists with white helmets are considerably less likely to get run over than those with black helmets.

--Ryan

Edit: Here's some good info!

http://www.motorcyclesafety.state.mn.us/la...279&scat=84

That link only gave running high beams in the daytime "one quarter" of a point..... YEA ..... Now if we could get all these pip's that run high-beams to read this..... There was a study done back in the 70's (Ill. State U., the folks that brought us the skills test;IE cs & fw braking) that said hi-beams work against us, because it makes us look further away than what we are .

I use reflective tape that can only be seen with lights on it , you can't see it in the day light (3-M).

This is a link of a riding suit I wear. Although I think I look better than him.... RIGHT!

The 2nd link is some hi-vis riding gear that's a little more fashion foward, if you want to go that direction.

http://olympiamotosports.com/recontransfor...transformer.htm

http://olympiamotosports.com/home.htm

Price drives many of my choices unfortunantly, but I try to stay somewhat clost to coordinating. My old helmet was red mostly, which matched my bike and leather jacket. Textile Jacket and Overpants and Boots are black. New helmet is silver, and new jacket is wine/silver. I won't match the bike but it was a sweet deal on a great jacket and helmet, and I don't see myself when riding.

Common sense dictates that the hi-viz gear would be the best way to be seen. However, if you don't want the "glow-worm" look then opt for a white helmet and some bright colored gear like white, yellow, etc. Who cares about matching brands? Well not me that's for sure----Shoei helmet, Teknic jacket (Also TM jacket), Teknic gloves, TM pants, Astars boots. I buy what is on sale and fits me best..

And for the funny replies that might be fourthcoming; there is plenty of data about conspicuous clothing and crashes.... :mellow:

• Member Contributer

I still coordinate helmet, gloves, etc to bikes color, but have decided that with all the cage drivers talking / texting, I need to as visible as possible. Hence my HI-VIS Olympia jacket.

It doesn't look as cool as the other jackets I had bought, but every little bit of safety additive helps!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

ki-speed (Mark)

gallery_2084_112_22846.jpg

Deals Gap Sept 2008

gallery_2084_112_69866.jpg

Deals Gap Sept. 2008

• Member Contributer
How about all black?? It matches everything and it's slimming....right? RIGHT? :goofy:

CO09035.jpg

You look like a CIA / Secret Service Man. I wouldn't mess with that guy!

Everything I got has the color Red, Black Silver and Grey, starting from the helmet down to my leathers, boots and gloves. My tank bags are also either red or black with my Boblebee hard backpacks in red and another in grey.

The whole coordination Red/Black/Silver/Grey theme started with my Silver and Red System two BMW helmet that I bought in 1989 and got more intense with the next helmet, yes, a Red/ Grey/ Silver and Black Rainey Replica X8 I got in 1990 and it went from there to all these.....

Picture285.jpg

I dunno if the coordinated look really hepls with safety, but I guess I feel good in them.

One thing that I can't seem to do is wear anything with Honda logos/patches on it. I think Honda branded stuff goes a bit too far for my tastes.

Beck

95 VFR

why not go with the smx5 plus race. it has zippers and latching, that velcro stuff never lasts

I'd want to try on a pair of those gloves, $229 is alot of money to not fit perfect and most dont.

How about all black?? It matches everything and it's slimming....right? RIGHT? :goofy:

CO09035.jpg

You look like a CIA / Secret Service Man. I wouldn't mess with that guy!

What up, Ghostrider? :goofy: :laugh:

I am partial to red as well, both for visibility and I agree- it seems to match my RWB well.

I roll with a Shoei x11 Kiyonari and red alpinestar gloves. (cheapos I'm afraid)

I have a Vanson leather...but am thinking about a textile with armor in some sort of red theme.

ace57

Archived