Safety And Color Coordination...

Infidel

This is one reason i kwwp wanting to paint my vfr the blinging yellow... More visable thanthe silver which blends in and is not real high viz at all...

If I painit yellow I plan to have some pretty bright gear to ride in

• Member Contributer
How about all black?? It matches everything and it's slimming....right? RIGHT? :goofy:

CO09035.jpg

But officer, I couldn't see him because the black was too slimming!

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I've got those boots with the buckle on the top. I like them, but try boots on first, walk around if you can. Maybe find somewhere to try them on in a brick and mortar store and then buy them online later, same with the rest of the gear really.

When I had my RWB 86 VF500 I had a A* jacket that was red on the sleeves/shoulders and the rest was white. I got it just because I liked how it looked with the bike. I've got a black and silver/grey Dainese jacket now because it fit me better.

• Member Contributer

I actually went a different route and color coordinated, but went with more visible reflective material. The boots and gloves I kept simple (but color coordinated) because I wasn't going to be on the track, so didn't do anything too aggressive there. All in all I love my combo. Textile so I am aware it isn't the best in the world. BUT, I do feel confident that the way I drive and where / how I drive, I am sure it will keep me somewhat safe.

gallery_18346_4978_18203.jpg

venture_air_silver.jpg

gallery_18346_4978_80587.jpg

i33786.jpg

gallery_18346_4978_11632.jpg

2009-TCX-X-Square-All-Purpose-Boot-Black.jpg

gallery_18346_4978_880.jpg

2008_Tour_Master_Intake_Air_2_Jacket.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

IMHO visibility is important -and the most important part of the ensemble is the helmet. A bright helmet sticks out more than a bright anything else. You want something that stands out from the surrounding scenery. Bright orange would be good, white is good, Reds and whites are good.

The upper body is important too. I like my red 'stich. It's VISIBILE -and it has a lot of retro-reflective portions which is the only thing that will stand out at night. I've got retro-reflective tape all over my bike -but especially in the rear.

If I were to buy another 'stich new I'd get the firefighter screaming green color. Too bad there are so many good, cheap, like-new 'stiches on ebay that make buying a new one silly for me. The economy is bad and people are dumping toys and gear. It's a buyer's market for used moto gear (as well as good camping gear used) I've already bought my next suit on ebay a couple of years ago and right now it is my spare. Cost 25% of new from the factory, and was barely broke in. It's blue -not red. So I'm going backwards. Maybe someday I'll get my firefighter eye-bleeding screaming radioactive green-yellow 'stich. But it will be 10 more years before my second-string suit wears out (and that's after I start using it as it is hanging in the closet waiting for my first-string unit to fail).

As far as gear "matching" I really don't care. I can't see myself in the motorcycle mirrors. It doesn't matter what other people think of me. I just want the best gear at the most bang for the buck.

I like names like Areostich because nobody else sells a one-piece that is as simple to get in and out of. If it is too hard to wear then I'm not going to wear it.

I like Sidi Boots -the most comfort and the best protection. Perhaps the fact that I got my lower leg crushed back in '99 (and it's never been right since) because I wasn't wearing proper boots drove home the fact that the lower leg is a fragile and NECESSARY part of the body and is easily damaged in a motorcycle crash. People who wear non moto boots (or those hi-top motorcycle in only name boots) are nuts IMHO.

I like a good full-faced helmet that is quiet, light, and has a good faceshield system. I'm glad the Shoei fits my head. It's great.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Held gloves. They kick ass. They cost a lot of money -they are worth every penny. One pair of gloves does not work in all situations. I can get by with 3 pairs and a set of 'Stich triple-digit rain covers. Something in that suite will work for almost all occasions short of arctic expeditions and there is enough overlap between them that if one pair is wet I can wear another pair.

NewEnough.com is your friend. I tend to like high-priced gear. I've got caviar tastes and a beer budget -so I wait until NewEnough has it on close-out before I buy. I'm always on the lookout for gear deals.

One other thing that works well for underlayers and such is hiking/camping gear. Not expressly designed for riding -but most of it is designed to be warm, water/moisture friendly, lightweight, and non-bulky. Wool & silk work great as do some of the new "smart" fibers for keeping you warm when it is cold outside even if it gets wet, or the wind is blowing like it's the basecamp below the K2 final summit. There is a place called Geartrade.com that is a SUPER bargain for camping/hiking gear. Some of the bicycle & snowboard clothing works well for motorcycling in more extreme climates as well.

But do I care if it matches? Nope. Maybe if I were Bill Gates rich I'd worry about it. As it is now, I have the beer budget and I'm going to worry about function before I worry about form. I like for it to be of caviar quality -but who cares if it color-coordinates? It's not a fashion show out there! I just don't get people who think it is.

• Member Contributer

all my helmets are white. I think that is safe enough.

003-3.jpg

You have three heads? Wow! You must be very smart!

• Member Contributer

You have three heads? Wow! You must be very smart!

He's a hydra -each time you cut one off he grows back two!

After a while it starts getting expensive buying more helmets...

• Member Contributer

Wow, I should really update my pic in this thread. My previous one was before I got the VFR. But I don't have one with my current helmet, so I'll wait. But I still have the hi-viz jacket which I wear with black overpants and a RWB Arai helmet.

PS: What's with the spam?

• Member Contributer

Found this info which may be helpful:

• White is the most visible color during uniform lighting.
  • Black is the least visible color (regardless of lighting conditions).
  • Lime-green has been shown to provide excellent visibility in all color conditions. Hence safety vests, and fire trucks being painted in this new color in recent years.
  • Colors that blend in with the surrounds make a vehicle less visible.
  • Bright colors closest to the center of the color spectrum are generally easier to see than darker colors. (pictured below)

color_chart.jpg

Interesting that according to this study, RED is at the extreme end of the visibility scale.

• Member Contributer

Found this info which may be helpful:

• White is the most visible color during uniform lighting.
  • Black is the least visible color (regardless of lighting conditions).
  • Lime-green has been shown to provide excellent visibility in all color conditions. Hence safety vests, and fire trucks being painted in this new color in recent years.
  • Colors that blend in with the surrounds make a vehicle less visible.
  • Bright colors closest to the center of the color spectrum are generally easier to see than darker colors. (pictured below)

color_chart.jpg

Interesting that according to this study, RED is at the extreme end of the visibility scale.

Want:

1203a7019637.jpg

Lime-green has been shown to provide excellent visibility in all color conditions.

Want proof?

suncaipfrontlarge.png

:idea3:

I think she'd be as easy to see, even if she wasn't wearing anything... :fing02:

I bought something similar to that safety vest that was posted earlier. I just went into Northern Tooland picked up pretty much the same thing but with a zipper on the front. The bright green. I love it. When I'm in town I notice people looking at me, which I love. THAT'S THE PURPOSE OF IT.. And I've had people that didn't know I rode say they saw me from a ways away. At night, I can be seen from probably 1/4 mile away. Works perfect and it's cheap.

• Member Contributer

I think solid color helmets are more visible. Busy artwork and patterns make the helmet blend in with the background more, especially since helmets with bright colors tend to also have a lot of black. Solid color helmets are also cheaper, and white is often cheaper than other solids. Safety win!

• Member Contributer

color_chart.jpg

Yes but I wonder if our brains a tuned to pick out (blood) red in a background anyway - you know as some kinda ancestoral defensive mechanism? I always find myself noticing the red cars/bikes in traffic.

gallery_19264_5124_187594.jpg

Mmmmmm - red!

• Member Contributer

I think solid color helmets are more visible. Busy artwork and patterns make the helmet blend in with the background more, especially since helmets with bright colors tend to also have a lot of black. Solid color helmets are also cheaper, and white is often cheaper than other solids. Safety win!

I agree that a solid white is one of the best stand-out colors. Not only is it visible but many drivers subconsciously think "cop" when they see it -further subduing aggressive behavior that might put your life at risk. A white helmet, back when I had my last one, tended to have this effect much more than the multi-color white/red/black one I have now.

One other thing is night visibility. Retro-reflective elements are a must. I have it on mine. In the front of my helmet I have two "eyes" of retro-reflective coloration just above the visor. Nothing grabs the human subconcious like EYES!

In the back I have a little face as well in retro-reflective tape. During the day it just blends into the helmet paint scheme. At night it BLAZES whenever a light hits it.

• Member Contributer

Shouldn't you be out riding? According to your map, you've neglected two states and a few of the provinces. laugh.gif How many miles do you have under you anyway? huh.gif

I know... offtopic.gif

• Member Contributer

I don't really do it for "safety" as much as for "vanity"..

gallery_16072_5018_105163.jpg

They say the camera adds 10 pounds, here's proof of what a sedentary lifestyle will do for you!! I lovingly refer to it as my "buffet blister".

Mals

Archived