Thoughts On Luggage

spaldy

New member. Just bought a new 2007. I've had several bikes over the years and had a 1988 CBR600 for the last 15 years. Ridden for years just using a backpack.

Sorry if this topic has been covered. I could not find it.

This is my first bike that I will put some bags on it and go out of town for longer touring. I'll also use it as a daily commuter in the summer but don't carry anything normally.

Any thoughts on the best options. I know the honda bags are good but they are also pretty pricey at 1k. They also don't include a center bag like some set ups I've seen. They appear to be pretty good sized and wonder if they really change the handling.

I also wonder would soft bags be a better option if you are riding two up. One of the posters had a picture of his 2007 out west and had some good looking soft bags.

How hard to take them off? I know that once on I'll probably keep them on for convienence but would like the option.

Any input would be really appreciated.

• Forum CEO
New member. Just bought a new 2007. I've had several bikes over the years and had a 1988 CBR600 for the last 15 years. Ridden for years just using a backpack.

This is my first bike that I will put some bags on it and go out of town for longer touring. I'll also use it as a daily commuter in the summer but don't carry anything normally.

Any thoughts on the best options. I know the honda bags are good but they are also pretty pricey at 1k. They also don't include a center bag like some set ups I've seen. They appear to be pretty good sized and wonder if they really change the handling.

I also wonder would soft bags be a better option if you are riding two up. One of the posters had a picture of his 2007 out west and had some good looking soft bags.

How hard to take them off? I know that once on I'll probably keep them on for convienence but would like the option.

moderator stuff ( moved to the luggage forum and deleted the double post in 5th gen forum)

member stuff - 2007 so you have a nice paint job probably and you want the bag to match? if no then check out davidspares out of the UK and get them from there its cheaper. Hard bags are really the way to go, I have a 5th gen and found that I never needed 2 bags, my top bag is more then enough for extended travel when I looked at my travel habits. I have a Givi 52 liter top bag and a wing rack, with 2 side bags I never use anymore, probably should sell them!

Ebay or check the classifieds here if your looking to buy used and dont care that much if its perfect. You can save a bundle that way. Luggage is expensive for sure.

• Member Contributer

After logging over 6700 miles on my last trip, completed with soft luggage (Nelson Rigg saddle and duffle baggs) I was quite envious of those with hard bags.

Several things have lead me on the search for hard bags over the coming off season.

1/ ease of use - being able to remove interior luggage on short one night stays, and completely remove hard bags for extended stays and day trips around home.

2/ water / protection - hard bags are lockable and don't need rain covers

3/ fit - any luggage will add bulk, but the hard bags stay in place and when paint-to-match, look good for touring.

I don't ride with a passenger, but I believe the placement of either would accommodate.

If you are wanting to try soft luggage first, I'd be happy to sell you my set for a steal of a deal, say $50 + shipping cost.

They have been used for two years (I bought them used) and have one broken strap and a small tear in the top bag.

The neoprene protection works well, and only the very edges (where resting against the exhaust) have a slight curl but no burn.

Over the entire trip, they served me well and never moved, even over the bumpiest, wetest and 125 mph speed testing.

Top bag clips in to saddles and the rain protector for that works great (kept my laptop safe during a typhoon).

The rain bags for the saddles aren't reliable. I would simply spray the bags with a good dose of water shedding and pack in plastic.

Don't want to turn this into a sales pitch (they will be going in the classifieds later).

I've seen a few sets here and there, ranging from $800 for factory sides to $1000 for all three and mounting hardware.

That's my opinion on the luggage issue.

I played with the idea for a long time and finally went with the Honda hard bags. Lockable, waterproof and an integrated look are what sold me on them. I find them very useful for commuting. I hate a back pack and an not thrilled with a tank bag. And I like the look, makes my 07 RWB look more like a "grown-up" tourer.

I got them here for a good price (free shipping) http://www.masoncityhonda.com/fiche_select.asp

Blue p/n 08L52-MCW-1E0

Only down side is they are wide. I had them for a week before I scuffed one side parking in my tight yard. The buffer cleaned them up nice, but you have to be careful in tight spots.

Once the frames are installed (PITA) the mounting and removal of the bags is a simple 2 step process.

I have done some 2 up riding. The passenger felt her feet where crowed at first, but she quickly got used to them.

• Member Contributer

If you want easy on-easy off, hardbags really are the way to go. You can get GIVI bags for less than the Honda OEM bags, but they aren't color matched. The blue bags for the RWB paint scheme or the white from the 2006 color will both look awesome. There is a thread somewhere on here on where to get cheap parts with a VFRD discount, not sure if it's still up, but I paid 700-something dollars for hard bags and brackets brand new.

They really don't affect handling until loaded down, and then only because you have more weight, and I've loaded those things pretty heavy before! If you are the performance oriented type where every ounce counts, the brackets do way a few pounds, as well.

• Member Contributer

I tour a couple of times every year one up with softbags on my 5th gen. Yes my Cortech bags are inexpensive and work well......very well actually. But if I had a 6th gen I would get the factory hardbags in a second...........very clean look plus the other advantages listed here. I would not get the topbox as I would want extra room available with a soft seatbag for bulky items such as camping gear etc.

Besides price the only advantage I see with the softbags is less damage during parking lot misadventures!

Enjoy.

• Member Contributer

Hi Spaldy, and welcome. When I bought my '04 I knew I pretty much wanted the OEM hard bags. I just kept my eyes open for a good set of used one and finally found some. Couldn't be happier, they were in excellent condition and paid $540 shipped. Been half heartedly looking for the tail trunk too. Mounting was a breeze, they're very easy to take on/off the bike. If you decide to go with the hard bags, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Member Contributer

I used to use the Cortech soft saddle bags and they're fine if budget is a concern. I never really filled them up much as it was just for carrying stuff back and forth to work every day. If I was going to do any touring I definitely would go with the hard bags, but remember that if you do a lot of riding without the bags you'll be left with the brackets which aren't the most attractive things.

Good luck

gallery_11529_3041_215430.jpg

DSC00008.JPG

My normal setup is a JCWhitney topbox (looks oddly enough the exact same as a Givi box....), but mine is mounted over the rear seat. This summer I also used a pair of Saddle Bags that strapped under my top box on the same rack....no issues with handling, but they were only temporary. I use the top box to carry my rainsuit, extra gloves, lunch etc. I run a tank bag when I run GPS etc.

Honda OEM are simply the best. Shop price and you can get them for about 1/2 retail used, and about 2/3 retail new. If you buy used be absolutely sure you get ALL the mounting brackets and hardware with them as those pieces are NOT AVAILABLE separately from Honda.

RWB with white 2006 bags:

0328091316a.jpg

And with a passenger in place:

IMG_3570.jpg

They don't really affect handling much either:

SebCanRide.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hard luggage definitely has its advantages - but if the $$$ for the OEM saddlebags are too much for the budget at the moment, then what about just a tail trunk?

For that matter, I wonder if Kanadian Ken is still selling his 'over the passenger seat' tail trunk mounts (like the ones shown here)?

I have a 4th gen, so my personal experience is unlikely to be of much direct assistance in your quest. I have the Givi bags on my 4th gen (saddlebags and/or trunk) - most days I run with the saddlebags (no trunk), but then there are times when I run with just the tail trunk.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

Ron

Hi Spaldy, and welcome. When I bought my '04 I knew I pretty much wanted the OEM hard bags. I just kept my eyes open for a good set of used one and finally found some. Couldn't be happier, they were in excellent condition and paid $540 shipped. Been half heartedly looking for the tail trunk too. Mounting was a breeze, they're very easy to take on/off the bike. If you decide to go with the hard bags, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

OEM are nice, but Givi V35 are very similar to Honda bags and cheaper.

tn_gallery_9969_2478_20500.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry. Photo was kind of small so let me try again.

gallery_9969_2478_104658.jpg

I went with Givi black saddle bags as well. I paid $660 delivered. This gives me extra money for other mods like a Givi windshield.

• Member Contributer

I used Givi V35s on my big ride this year. They held everything for a month on the road (except tent/sleeping bag). No leaks, easy on/off, reasonably tucked in.

The glossy black panel on the cover can be removed and painted. I got mine in black because I didn't want yet another shade of silver, but I recently found a rattle can touch-up paint which was a pretty good match (especially since it doesn't butt up to any OEM panel). Picture to follow.

Glenn

Sorry. Photo was kind of small so let me try again.

gallery_9969_2478_104658.jpg

I never thought I'd want/need the OEM bags when I bought my '04 used from the orig. owner. I used soft bags for a couple trips two years ago. They were OK, but a pain to mount IMO and zero security if I was away from my bike at a rest area, etc. I also had an unfortunate incident when the saddlebags slipped backward while I was on the freeway and the underseat exhaust melted the rearward across-the-seat Velcro strap. sad.gif I was on my way to Canada at the time but luckily had several spare bungees with me to shore up the bags for the rest of the trip.

After that I decided to buy the OEM hard bags, and did so via ebay almost 2 years ago, paying $600 + shipping for still-new-in-the-box bags. I finally mounted them this summer. Installing the brackets is a PITA but very worth it, as the bags have become invaluable to me. Clipping the bags on is a breeze, they're lockable, easy to carry when off the bike (tho they are large), are basically rain-proof and honestly they just look very good, too! I keep my rain suit & gloves in one bag, so if rain is possible later in the day, I hook the bags on for my commute to work and can dig out the rain gear for the trip home if necessary.

I thought at first I might remove the brackets when I'm not using the bags, because the naked brackets do look kind of clunky IMO, kind of like leaving a trunk mounted bicycle rack on your car all the time. But like I said they were a PITA to mount and I'd hate to deal with mounting/dismounting them all the time. And now I hardly notice them and I'm fine with the look. I'm using the bags much more often than I thought I would - just as many people say here - so the brackets are definitely on for good. They even give me a couple more places to hook bungees when I'm strapping something to the rear seat. smile.gif

If you're not in a hurry or don't have the budget to buy hard bags now, you should try soft luggage first. If you decide to invest in the OEM or non-matching Givi bags later, take your time and find a good deal either on the forum, ebay or internet dealer. Some good suggestions (David Silver Spares, Honda East of Toledo) are listed above. You should try your local Honda dealer first tho. Give them a chance. You never know, they might order you a set for a fair price.

• Member Contributer

Someone mentioned it, though I would give a +1 for the Ventura system.

The bags have shoulder straps so you can use them as a backpack when off the bike. (although I would not recommend them as a hiking pack:-)

They also offer a grab handle that can be put in place of the rack when you don't need the bags. All the women I have had on the back of the VFR LOVE the handle. One of them made me get a setup for my new CBR just so she had the handle on the new bike.

Takes less than a minute to attach or remove the bags.

The thing I like best is that you get to choose if you want the bag mounted in the forward or backward position. This means that if I do not have a passenger, I can have the weight of the bag over the rear seat, instead of behind it. I like the weight as far forward on the bike as I can get it.

Ventura US importer

Another thing to consider is tank bags. there are some SIZEABLE bags out there. When I have my bagster expanded to full capacity, I can get enough for a weekend in just the tank bag.

• Member Contributer

OK, here's the pic. There's about 8 screws holding the panel, plus it helps to loosen a couple for the lower panel as well. The paint is GM Grey Metallic.

Glenn

I used Givi V35s on my big ride this year. They held everything for a month on the road (except tent/sleeping bag). No leaks, easy on/off, reasonably tucked in.

The glossy black panel on the cover can be removed and painted. I got mine in black because I didn't want yet another shade of silver, but I recently found a rattle can touch-up paint which was a pretty good match (especially since it doesn't butt up to any OEM panel). Picture to follow.

Glenn

gallery_17070_4949_1798782.jpg

The OEM are the definitely the way to go. I've used a backpack, soft luggage and tank bags, and nothing compares to the watertight OEM bags. I especially like the inner bags option to act as luggage for taking things to your hotel room at the end of the day. Great investment if you're doing a lot of long distance riding. They are super easy to detach - just unlock and lift the carrying handle (the rear detaches with a click of a locking button) - easy peasy!

They have a large capacity for items, too. The top case can easily hold a 17" laptop and a full 'suitcase' worth of clothes and gear. The top case has pad for a passenger's back to lean against, but to be honest, most passengers won't lean that far back. With all three hardbags on the bike you can still easily bring along a passenger - the bike has no problems with a fully loaded kit. Our summer vacation had about 70 pounds of gear and two passengers - still got over 40mpg.

David Silver Spares always has sets for cheaper than a dealer and are really great for shipping things quickly.

dsc_0733.jpg

Archived