Has Anybody Given One Of These Stands A Try?

coderighter

• Member Contributer

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=96349

I use my center stand when ever I put the bike away in the garage. I'm thinking this might save a little wear and tear on both the floor and the stand. It' not going to damage the fork or anything is it?

• Member Contributer

I've seen other more expensive versions in use and they seem to work great, just pricey. I've looked at that version myself a few times and it seems like a ok product. How about HF's other version, looks a little more heavy duty!

The only thing is that I wouln't want to bolt it to my floor, maybe great on a trailer though! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Several months back, they had a special on these for $19.99 each, and I believe the shipping was free (or nearly so). I bought two.

• Member Contributer
I've seen other more expensive versions in use and they seem to work great, just pricey. I've looked at that version myself a few times and it seems like a ok product. How about HF's other version, looks a little more heavy duty!

The only thing is that I wouln't want to bolt it to my floor, maybe great on a trailer though! :fing02:

Why won't you bolt it to the floor?

• Member Contributer
Up here in Canada, Princess Auto has a clone of the Baxley Chock, and when on sale it can be had for $91CAN including taxes. Works beautifully.

http://www.princessauto.com/shop-garage/re...k?keyword=chock

Baxley is awesome! I use a sport chock for my R6 all the time. Damn supersports with no center stand.

• Member Contributer
Several months back, they had a special on these for $19.99 each, and I believe the shipping was free (or nearly so). I bought two.

At $20 each I could justify buying a case of them... How "cheap and cheerful" are they in real life? Would you trust, say, an RC45 to one of them?

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

At $20 each I could justify buying a case of them... How "cheap and cheerful" are they in real life? Would you trust, say, an RC45 to one of them?

Cheers,

Wish I was qualified to answer that for you. The construction is quite substantial, though.

• Member Contributer

The only thing is that I wouln't want to bolt it to my floor, maybe great on a trailer though! :mellow:

Good question!

Answer: Floor space is a premium to me and to have something bolted down to the floor where I have to park the bike would drive me crazy! I have a a center stand, a side stand a SSS rear stand, pit bull front end stand, a regular front end stand and a HF bike lift....so I'm pretty covered on ways to park the bike in the garage...but for a guy that always pulls into the same spot I can certainly see the application! :fing02: But I am always working on something, so sometimes the bikes are all over the place, but It would come in handy on a trailer.

But after looking again closely, it looks like the stands would hit the rotors?? Can anyone comment on whether they do or not. I'd hate to park it or trailer it once and find out it bent my rotors. The more expensive HF version looks like it doesn't touch them...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have a couple of these on my flatbed that I use for towing the bikes. They work great. They hold the bike with no problems while I am strapping it down. I used them for the Summer Summit trip in Colorado a couple weeks back. 650 miles each way on the trailer with no problem.

FYI - they do not hit the rotors on my 07 VFR.

cheers:-)

The only thing is that I wouln't want to bolt it to my floor, maybe great on a trailer though! :warranty:

Good question!

Answer: Floor space is a premium to me and to have something bolted down to the floor where I have to park the bike would drive me crazy! I have a a center stand, a side stand a SSS rear stand, pit bull front end stand, a regular front end stand and a HF bike lift....so I'm pretty covered on ways to park the bike in the garage...but for a guy that always pulls into the same spot I can certainly see the application! :fing02: But I am always working on something, so sometimes the bikes are all over the place, but It would come in handy on a trailer.

But after looking again closely, it looks like the stands would hit the rotors?? Can anyone comment on whether they do or not. I'd hate to park it or trailer it once and find out it bent my rotors. The more expensive HF version looks like it doesn't touch them...

No it will not damage your rotors...

• 4 months later...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=96349

I use my center stand when ever I put the bike away in the garage. I'm thinking this might save a little wear and tear on both the floor and the stand. It' not going to damage the fork or anything is it?

I had 3 of these made at my design about 10 years ago. There were non available to buy at that time. One of the 3 has a wider cross-bar at the front for floor use; the one in the pic was designed to be bolted to the trailer/truckbed. The design has a number of useful applications: drive-in at the track, when you're just too exhausted to reach back for the rear stand. Just drive in and fall off the bike. Great for loading, it holds the bike up while you secure the straps etc. And in the shop it holds the bike quite stable when you have the rear wheel off.

Don't hesitate to grab one. I paid around $80 (plus powder coating) for each of mine to be custom made.

post-82-126566978075_thumb.jpg

Baxley is awesome!

+1.gif

Baxley's make checking sag a piece of cake with you on the bike and someone to read the tape measure. Let's you "assume the postion" without having to balance the bike or have someone hold it up. Just make sure you have the rear tire on two pieces of half inch plywood to lift it one inch. The Baxley stand lifts the front wheel one inch when in the full forward position.

I prefer this model - much more sturdy and can be had for $39 with one of the coupons in the major motorcycle mags (cycle world etc.). Basically a knockoff of the condor or Paldins's

I have found that it does help to have it positioned against a wall for loading the bike, or you could bolt it down like I have on my lift table.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97841

• Member Contributer

I have one and I just got a baxley if that tells you anything, condor is another good one. The HF one is "only" anygood if bolted down but as someone above mentioned, it won't support a bike by itself. I say buy it if your planning on installing it in a trailer and using straps, that way it'll work great.

• Member Contributer

The HF works great on my trailer. It holds the bike up fine while i'm putting the straps on. I had it bolted to 2x12 a 1000R parked in it and it held that up fine. The 2nd HF stand is the garage choice tho.

• Member Contributer

The HF works great on my trailer. It holds the bike up fine while i'm putting the straps on.

:fing02:

I got in on the $20 deal last year for two of them, and believe it to be money well spent.

Archived