Fork Braces

YoshiHNS

Fork braces  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a fork brace for a...

• 4th gen
    • 5th gen
    • 6th gen
    • other
    • No interest
  2. 2. What would you want out of it (other than proper fit)

• Annodized
    • Brake line attatchments
    • Pocketed/Ribbed out center
    • Plain, simple, cheap
    • Screw/attatchment point for horn, light, ect...
  3. 3. Would you pay more than $100 if it had any of the above

• Yes
    • No

Question

• Member Contributer

after beck's post about the fork brace for the 4th gen's making a big difference, I started doing the math on how much it would cost to machine one myself. For one, probably about the same as the one he posted. But a production run, I'm pretty sure I could get it a chunk under $100 complete. I have access to 4th, 5th, and 6th gen bikes, so I can test fitment without a problem. Just wanted to see if there was any interest in any of these for me to even see what it would cost to do a run and how complete the product should be.

• Answers 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

sorry there hasn't been much progress/updates with these. Was about to write how I was going to make the test pieces, and then realized that there was a major design flaw. :laugh: . So I'm making a slight alteration to my design. Not too happy about it as I feel it loses a certain advantage, but still trying to make a two piece bolt on design work.

But don't the VTR braces fit the 3-5 gens?

Can someone confirm/deny this? Does anyone out there have the fork spacing for a 4th gen? I'll post up the spacing for a 5th gen today if someone lets me know what part of the fork to measure from!

I'm interested in one for a 5th gen, make it a 3 piecer if possible, those are the easiest to install in what I've seen. Sebs one piece on that VTR is sexy, but requires a complete disassembly of the front end, yes?

• Member Contributer

Why do all of these kind of post always turn into debates? All the OP was trying to do, was get an idea of who would be interested in a fork brace, if one was produced. Now it has turned into a debate on the pros and cons of a fork brace.

But don't the VTR braces fit the 3-5 gens?

Looks like they fit to me...

http://www.vfrdiscus...=1entry636624

It will fit a 3rd/4th gen, but no one can tell me about the 5th GEN?! I've seen it mentioned that the forks are spaced further apart on the 98-01's but no one can tell me one way or the other :fing02:

Yoshi, any news duder?

I too am interested if you have made a prototype for the 5th gen...

• Member Contributer

No progress made for a bit. I've been a little busy relocating and my computer has been down for quite a while now. Hopefully once I stop house hopping and get my computer online, i'll be able to make the wood mock-ups and check dimensions. That's if I don't get volunteered for more work over the holidays.

• Member Contributer

well, after many many months without my computer, finally got it working. I have the first revision of the fork braces done. Still have to fix it up somewhere, as it will not let me make the 3D model and finish it. So here's the outline of what it is going to look like.

Bracerev1.png?t=1268706952

I kept the two piece design. Going to make manufacturing much easier and cheaper. Will use T651 for them. I chose to put the screws on the side instead of the front and back like on the Coerce version because this will leave the front open for attaching a fork seal guard. The curve in the middle should help out structurally. Ideally, it will give the horizontal forces a nice solid face to put pressure on. I may adjust that section a little bit yet, but that is generally how it is going to look. I forgot to add the chamfer where the halves meet and contact the forks.

Once I fix the model, I'll make the few changes I want to and finish the solid model. Not sure what I will use for fork seal guards, but it probably won't be pretty. I still need to get the dimensions for the 5th and 6th gen forks, but I should have them when I go back to cleveland at the end of the month if no one else gives them.

After that, I am going to have a friend laser cut wood templates of the braces and make sure the fitment/alignment/dimensions are all correct. Then it's off to production.

Comment!

• Member Contributer

Hi Yoshi, How thick do you think these will be? (Top to bottom?)

Looks great, any ideas on finish?

:wheel:

They are going to be 1/2" thick. No word on finish yet. I would like to get them done with clear annodize, but I need go get the work quoted out to the watercuter first so I can see how much extra I have to play around with. Trying to keep them under $100 for the base version.

Hi Yoshi, How thick do you think these will be? (Top to bottom?)

Looks great, any ideas on finish?

:fing02:

They are going to be 1/2" thick. No word on finish yet. I would like to get them done with clear annodize, but I need go get the work quoted out to the watercuter first so I can see how much extra I have to play around with. Trying to keep them under $100 for the base version.

Yoshi, if you shoot me the 2D design when you're done, I can do all the waterjet toolpathing for you. I can set all the leads & cutting speeds to where I know you would want them to be. This helps you out 2 ways - 1, you don't pay the programming/engineering fee, and 2, the shop will easily see how long the part takes to cut, for a quote. You can also give them the number of on/off cycles, etc.

Speaking of program files, this reminds me to shoot the other one over to you now... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I'll shoot it over once I fix the problem. Was just going to do the toolpath myself, but not sure if waterjet programming is going to be different than milling.

PRODUCTIVITY!

I'll shoot it over once I fix the problem. Was just going to do the toolpath myself, but not sure if waterjet programming is going to be different than milling.

PRODUCTIVITY!

Depends on the machine. We use Surfcam and CatiaNC for our 5-axis machines, but we use Flow's FlowPath/FlowCut software for the 2-axis and dynamic head machines.

BTW, I would recommend finding a shop with a dynamic head machine(aka corner control) to cut the braces. The mating surfaces in your design need to be cut carefully to ensure proper fitment after WJ cut. The dynamic head/corner control angles the head and nozzle to reduce the kerf angle, or should I say, to keep the cut edge vertical.

Yoshi, please put me down for one bomb proof chunk of billet :fing02:

Looks sweet, if you PM me w/ where and how to measure the front end, I can give you the dimensions for a 5th gen (and possibly sneak down to the stealership if they have a 6th gen lurking). All for the promise of being a Yoshi Beta-Tester hehehe seriously tho, I just wanna help out any way I can!

I chose to put the screws on the side

The curve in the middle should help out structurally. Ideally, it will give the horizontal forces a nice solid face to put pressure on

Comment!

No screws in the middle section? Keep in mind that the area where you clamp the brace to the fork lowers may not be perfectly round and/or vary a bit in radius. When the surfaces of the center section mate to soon, clamping force will be reduced and not very well distributed over the fork lowers. If on the other hand there remains a small gap, there is less surface area to transfer the horizontal forces.

• Member Contributer

OK. I'm in. What's another hundred bucks when you're nearly broke. This is much more important to spend money on than mere food. After all, you just rent the food temporarily. The brace will be yours forever. Let me know when and how to pay you. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I chose to put the screws on the side

The curve in the middle should help out structurally. Ideally, it will give the horizontal forces a nice solid face to put pressure on

Comment!

No screws in the middle section? Keep in mind that the area where you clamp the brace to the fork lowers may not be perfectly round and/or vary a bit in radius. When the surfaces of the center section mate to soon, clamping force will be reduced and not very well distributed over the fork lowers. If on the other hand there remains a small gap, there is less surface area to transfer the horizontal forces.

I'm not too worried ATM about the big radius in the center. Watercutting should give a pretty good fit, and if not, we'll be able to machine them back into spec when we drill and tap the holes. If I find that the brace is not holding onto the forks well enough then that can be adjusted to accept a thin washer. Once I get the solid model, I can run an ANSYS analysis on it and make sure that there aren't going to be any problem areas.

I'm not too worried ATM about the big radius in the center. Watercutting should give a pretty good fit,

I am not worried about the machined radii either, more about the radius (size) and roundness of the fork lowers and how that affects the brace when installed.

• Member Contributer

One thought my dad had was that by having no buffer, it would force the tube to become round if it was slighly oval. However, that theory probably won't work where the brace is actually going to go. I'll keep that in mind and pay attention to that when I make the wood mock-ups.

Just dragging this post back from the dead, to see if Yoshi has made any progress (he types hopefully)??

Also, I figured out that 3/4 gen fork braces will not fit the 5th gen. The 5th gen tubes are roughly 1/2" wider in the triples. BOOO! But that means that Yoshi is now the man for the 98-01's!!

• Member Contributer

I know this has been dragging for some time, and I apologize. BUT --- Drawings are done. I email them out tomorrow morning to the watercutters for a quote, and sent it out to a buddy of mine so he can lasercut the wood prototypes. Results should be coming in soon.

Archived