Did I Blow My Suspenders?

Rice

• Member Contributer
my money is on one or more bent fork tubes. The runout limit is very small, there's a good chance you can't see it by eye. To know for sure, you have to disassemble the forks entirely, lay them up in v blocks, and turn them under a dial indicator.

If you don't have V-blocks, then you can remove the front wheel (with the front of the bike supported) and if you want stick the axle loosely back through the forks to keep the lower tubes from spinning. Then loosen both tree pinch bolts on one fork at a time and just spin the Upper tubes in the trees, if the fork tube is bent you can just watch as the bottom (axle) end of the fork moves around. If the tube is straight the bottom won't move off center line, if it is it will move around off center as you spin the upper tube. Now check other tube. :fing02:

Great idea!

I'll descend into the man cave to try this and that.

Oh, btw, here is the culprit:

DSC00051.jpg

This monster is 1/2 beer cans deep. I wanted to put them inside for perspective, but this road is too busy and too dangerous. I was travelling in the direction of the shot here, so I got the worst of it.

Ouch!

• Member Contributer
Why were you riding the double yellow, in the rain? :laugh:

IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY?

Seriously though, there was a monster of a puddle and the middle of the road is its highest point :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Why were you riding the double yellow, in the rain? :laugh:

IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY?

Seriously though, there was a monster of a puddle and the middle of the road is its highest point :fing02:

The correct answer is "passing!" :laugh: :fing02:

A nasty little hole for sure. I'm not familiar with this "x beer cans deep" unit of measurement though. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
A nasty little hole for sure. I'm not familiar with this "x beer cans deep" unit of measurement though. :fing02:

Funny, when I want back to the scene of my pothole I didn't have any measuring device, so I bought and used an Arizona glass bottle for reference... Damn thing swallowed 90% of the bottle.

• Member Contributer
I'm not familiar with this "x beer cans deep" unit of measurement though. :fing02:

It's more an art than a science really. Comes with experience :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Last night re-checked everything.

The forks appear to be straight as per BR's procedure.

The axle is also straight.

Sag is within spec.

The only thing that is off is the front rim. It has about 4-5mm run-off as I spin it and look at its edge. So, I guess I'll be looking for a gently used front rim for a 6th gen.

Hope this solves the problem.

Last night re-checked everything.

The forks appear to be straight as per BR's procedure.

The axle is also straight.

Sag is within spec.

The only thing that is off is the front rim. It has about 4-5mm run-off as I spin it and look at its edge. So, I guess I'll be looking for a gently used front rim for a 6th gen.

Hope this solves the problem.

Please don't be offended, but at my office we believe in double check, double check, double check. The best double checking is done with a different set of eyes. Why don't you have a riding buddy whose judgement you trust ride the bike, look it over and give his opinion. Sometimes it just takes a different set of eyes to see something.

• Member Contributer
Please don't be offended, but at my office we believe in double check, double check, double check. The best double checking is done with a different set of eyes. Why don't you have a riding buddy whose judgement you trust ride the bike, look it over and give his opinion. Sometimes it just takes a different set of eyes to see something.

I wish I had such a buddy. I too think that it would be best to have a second set of eyes (or other body parts for that matter :huh: ) on the bike, but alas, I don't know anyone close enough to my home base.

I will send the rim out to be straightened as a first step. I am also looking for a replacement rim at the same time, b/c I hate to be w/o the bike for 2-3 weeks that it will take to turn the rim around, shipping and all.

I would volunteer, but I don't use the front end much... :huh: :wheel:

:goofy:

I will send the rim out to be straightened as a first step. I am also looking for a replacement rim at the same time, b/c I hate to be w/o the bike for 2-3 weeks that it will take to turn the rim around, shipping and all.

I can lend you a front wheel if you cover shipping both ways! :wheel:

BR

BTW I don't think the wheel is the issue here! :goofy:

The tire is much more likely to be the problem, a big hit can damage or break cords within the tire with no visible signs of damage, but the tire is shitz. :huh:

I second BR. While you're going to all of this trouble of a new wheel or having your old one straightened (rounded? - how about trued), put a new tire on it before you mount it back on the bike. When you have your old tire off, look at the inside for any damage. Also, press down on the tire (6" or so), rotate it say 30° and then press down again. The tire should deform to the same shape every time. If it deforms to a weird shape at one point in your press down test, you know the inside is screwed up.

• Member Contributer
I second BR. While you're going to all of this trouble of a new wheel or having your old one straightened (rounded? - how about trued), put a new tire on it before you mount it back on the bike. When you have your old tire off, look at the inside for any damage. Also, press down on the tire (6" or so), rotate it say 30° and then press down again. The tire should deform to the same shape every time. If it deforms to a weird shape at one point in your press down test, you know the inside is screwed up.

That's a good idea. You could probably even get a good estimation with the tire that's currently on the wheel. If you remove the valve stem, you should be able to see how the tire feels.

actually the damage on mine was only noticeable at turn-in and at moderate speed.

it would wobble or push the bike up on mid-speed right handers.

i'd take BR up on his wheel/tire idea. swap one in and go for a ride.

You would feel the internal damage as a wobble or vibration at speed, not at turn in.

If the change of feel is not related solely to the new bearings, then my money is on one or more bent fork tubes. The runout limit is very small, there's a good chance you can't see it by eye. To know for sure, you have to disassemble the forks entirely, lay them up in v blocks, and turn them under a dial indicator.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived